Thread: I require help with a v8 engine problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question I require help with a v8 engine problem

My 95 ford e350 small block V8 is having major issues right now. It runs exceptionally rough, and stalls. give it gas and its 'ok' but still stumbles a bit.

Spark is good, and fuel is fine. We found out that tapping on the EGR control thingy, that the truck, idled great, so we bought a new one of those. Installed it, and then the truck wouldnt start at all...

after discovering that a wire, (i forget what its called, it comes off the distro, its the 9th wire, goes to something else.) anyways that fell apart so we replaced that...
    Finally after actually putting it completely back together (it was just sorta sitting there) it started... anyways the problem still exists. A good friend of mine, spoke to a friend of his, who thought it maybe the EGR itself, so we took that off, and visually inspected it, however have no way to test it... any ideas? A new one is $90. I cant afford to keep throwing new parts at this thing... yet I need the truck for work.

Any ideas?
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

'95/older vehicles use OBD-I computers. Cant remember if that version throws a trouble code for EGR problems, but if you can borrow a hand held scanner tool it may detect one. I think the dashboard emissions light would also come on if it was EGR related?

Does that 1-ton van have an overdrive? Look on the end of the gear selector knob for a pushbutton. If it has O/D, does the tranny keep hunting for a gear when the motor stumbles, like its trying to compensate? Turn off O/D and see what happens.

The truck does have OD. there is no engine light, and you cant get it out of park fast enough before it stalls.

Spark, fuel, compression? Does it overheat when it runs? No cracked heads?
    Kiss someone that's different. It helps.
    Lets get the facts first, then go for the jugular!!
    It's all transparent, just read between the lines..

no the heads are fine... and it doesnt over heat... it 'runs' fine... but it runs rough and stalls.

Did you change plug wires lately, are they on correct? I know on some v-8 (302) you have to run wires a certain way.

Thread Information