Thread: Stay away from canalside on the 4th

Stay away from canalside on the 4th

No place to park, the needs of people when temps reach 88deg, packing people in a very small area, the train to no where will be packed with long lines waiting to ride. traffic will be a mess near the erie basin. most of the roads will be closed around cs. tall ships bringing in more people to a city that can't handle this.

Ahoy Boaters! New rules when tall ships arrive in Buffalo
    There will be restricted "safety zones" and fewer docking areas
    The Department of Homeland Security is establishing a 100-yard safety zone around all the tall ships while they are underway.

A 25-yard safety zone will be established around the ships when they are docked and will be enforced by the U.S. Coast Guard and other law enforcement agencies.
    In addition, some transient docking areas at Canalside and the Erie Basin Marina will not be available this year for the holiday because the tall ships will be moored in those places.

good luck if your going ill be in the AC.
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

As I watch the news on all channels ch 7 anchor blondeee(such an air head) just thinks it's going to be a fun time at CS on the forth. She has no clue what a mess it's going to be.
    Now the city and event organizers are scrambling around changing traffic flow patterns and where people can an cannot walk. only can laugh at these clowns.

So you have 12 tall ships right at CS when you have miles of waterfront wouldn't have made sense to stagger the ships all the around and the people can move freely from place to place maybe two ships together. totally dumb planning

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Dumb planning perhaps but people will still have fun.

#oldmanyellsatcloudsmeme

Ok here is a deal if you're headed to the CS cluster. free parking after 5:00 I can only laugh at these cheap owners. Give these people a break.
    More changing of traffic patterns right up to the last min.

oh boy, not a lot of happy campers that went to see the tall ships. so the coast guard fences off the area where the ships are docked. the only way in was to pay the 20 bucks to get in. can't walk up close and see the ships if you didn't pay the fee? nope. what a joke. one news station reported people waiting up to an hour and a half to get a ticket to get in. Hot and muggy and now reports no water stations to fill water bottles like was said there would be. here is my question who is getting the 20 bucks that are being charged to get in? the city? packers kids that went said it was a mess with parking and trying to get out of some of the lots after the fireworks. one said they were parked at the erie basin and could not get out of the lot waited close to an to get out and not one cop around to help with traffic where they were. a joke, where was erkel?

VERY TRUE...went there yesterday...paid $10 to park at a VIP lot....walked..while sweating my A$$ off to see the Tall Ships...could not get close to see ..only the masts...everything was blocked or fenced off.. you could not get close..unless you forked over $20 bucks...forget it...lesson learned here...Now I know why I avoid going anywhere downtown unless very necessary....As usual..Taxpayers and citizens/visitors get ripped off again.
    I believe this whole "security ' issue of blocking off access was a ploy to get visitors to pay if you wanted to get a close up view of what was a gloriously , heavily publicized by the news media event.
    Our tax dollars and incentives to the developers of Canal Side should enable the citizens and visitors to the city to the attractions without having to pay . I can understand the fee if you wanted to board the ships..but to get a close up view..and having access to do so is gouging those who expected to see part of our history!

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news...at-tall-ships/

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Seems tacky but gotta make a buck. Someone has to support the cost of the security and people who work at canal side. Right?

If the shoe shine rag hypes it like it did this **** show you can be certain that it’s for the select, ie the rich and politically connected. Everyone else can expect to pay through the nose to get a glimpse. Couple weeks back, against my better judgment, I took my out of town grandson to the new kids museum. It was closed and much of the area was roped off and otherwise impassable due to an upcoming concert. In reality it’s not a public waterfront at all. High talker Higgins destroyed Thursdays in the Square, an immensely popular and publicly accessible event, and personally forced it to the waterfront to limit access to it.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    It does seem misrepresented when reading about it the ships on the waterfront. I can understand paying to go on one of the boats but not to walk along the docks.

In reality it’s not a public waterfront at all. High talker Higgins destroyed Thursdays in the Square, an immensely popular and publicly accessible event, and personally forced it to the waterfront to limit access to it.
    I agree with you 100%

One of my companies worked with Buffalo Place for years. Through all the thick and thin a group of people made the event a success and they were basically pushed out.

I attended many and I mean many of the Thursday in the Square concerts.

I don't ever remember an entry charge. Money was generated by drink/food sales

They always had fair attendance unless the weather was really bad.

Seems like progress in Buffalo...is really going backwards...every time they try to improve on something...when it has a high degree of success such as Thursday in the Square...they're really just acting on greed...there was no way to charge admission at the square..now with a gated or fenced venue...they can turn it into a money making venture. Greed?...They tried this with Italian Festival on the Waterfront last year..$5.00 admission..all of a sudden it's back...now in the city limits on Delaware...could there of been a drop off in attendance, causing vendors to complain?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    A "non-profit" but all the people involved make a pretty penny.

Plus I heard one of the developers was not happy with all the people around one of the properties. There is a valid point to that.

This is cool. The description reads Taken on July 9, 2009. 10 years ago 2 days from now.

Italian Fest was cool. Haven't been to one in years...Taken on July 12, 2002. Almost 17 years ago.

Taken on July 18, 2009. 10 years ago.

I never knew sling shots were Italian

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    If the shoe shine rag hypes it like it did this **** show you can be certain that it’s for the select, ie the rich and politically connected. Everyone else can expect to pay through the nose to get a glimpse. Couple weeks back, against my better judgment, I took my out of town grandson to the new kids museum. It was closed and much of the area was roped off and otherwise impassable due to an upcoming concert. In reality it’s not a public waterfront at all. High talker Higgins destroyed Thursdays in the Square, an immensely popular and publicly accessible event, and personally forced it to the waterfront to limit access to it.
    Speaking of Higgins...

Who remembers this protest?

"Thanks for your leadership on healthcare!"

Thread Information