Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: To all the Lancaster Airport “You should have known better” naysayers

Quote Originally Posted by 4achange View Post
    Here are the 100% true facts, period.

Many (not all) pilots who take off from Lancaster airport fly well below the recommended altitudes for safe flight operation. They fly low altitude, high speed turns and level off anywhere between 300 -600 ft flying DIRECTLY OVER residential housing on Nichter and Westwood, Schwartz rds.

If one of these aircraft has any, and i mean any critical flight system malfunction, they will not be able be able to land at the airport because they have no altitude to help them. They will in all probability crash either into a house (since they choose to fly directly over mine and many others) or in the near vicinity to a house.

With increased expansion, there will come a much greater risk of this happening. I dont give a rats ass about anyones statistics, this is an accident waiting to happen, period!

It seems, beside the residents, the only ones who will care will be the NTSB investigating the scene of the crash. And then, what will the Lancaster airport, the town, and the rest of the clowns have to say?

OOPS?
    Exactly correct!! The NTSB admitted they only get involved when it is too late. I still hold firm that the FAA needs to report to the NTSB.

To those of you complaining about the NOISE from KBQR, you have a valid point, to those of you complaining about the SAFETY of aircraft "buzzing" your house at 2-300 feet, you do not have a valid complaint. The simple FACT is, no aircraft is passing over anyone's house at that low of an altitude. Those claiming that they see this happening are either exaggerating or are a poor judge of distance. even the lowest and slowest aircraft that flies in and out of KBQR from runway 26 is at an altitude of 250-350 feet BEFORE IT REACHES THE END OF THE RUNWAY. Every single pilot that is licensed in this country performs takeofs in the same way, they get as much altitude as quickly as possible. It is for the safety of the pilot and those on the ground. When the turn along Pavement road is made every single plane is at least 700 feet above the ground, passing over Nichter they should be at or close to pattern altitude. The MUST be at that altitude or they will not make it back to the runway in time if their engine fails. Now, in the extremely rare case that that happens, the pilot will immediately be looking for a place to land, the LAST place they will be looking to land is the ONLY concentration of houses near the airport, do you people understand that? You house will not be crashed into!

So please stop using the safety excuse, nobody is overflying your house at anything less than 700 or so feet AGL (that is above the ground, not above sea level) Anyone claiming otherwise is either lying, or more likely just mistaken.

As for the noise issue, I understand your frustration, but the airport has been there a lot longer than you have, and what about the freight trains every 15 minutes? Are you asking for those to be removed to? You bought houses next to an AIRPORT, a very busy RAILROAD and a couple miles from a RACETRACK. I know the traffic pattern was changed in 2006, I have nothing against following the old pattern if it's restored, concentrate your efforts on THAT and not the other ridiculous claims.

Now I am one of the pilots (student at this point) I'm a 36 year old auto mechanic that lives in South Buffalo, right next to Mercy Hospital. I have ambulances going down my street every hour, and helicopters who really do fly directly over my house at less than 200 feet, am I afraid they are going to crash into my house and constantly whine for them to stop? NO!

But guess what, I won't fly over your houses, I will request flight following from KBUF and turn past the development when I can. At well OVER 300 feet. And before you ask, no pilot in his right mind would "buzz" anyone's house. It's not only dangerous and annoying but illegal. We could lose our license and get fined. The reason those of you have complained to the FAA and haven't gotten a response? Those you complained about were at pattern altitude, NOT below it.

As for the "pollution" excuse? Give me a break. These planes have a lot less power than your SUV's, are a lot better maintained, and use less fuel too.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information