Thread: So I see Lancaster is getting a dog park - Cheektowaga

Tony Fracasso - Admin

So I see Lancaster is getting a dog park - Cheektowaga

Dog park plans announced for Como Lake Park in Lancaster

LANCASTER, N.Y. — Plans for another dog park in Erie County were announced on Thursday.

County Executive Mark Poloncarz and members of Lancaster Unleashed were on hand for the announcement at Como Lake Park. It will be the third such space at an Erie County park, joining Black Rock Canal Park and Ellicott Creek Park.

"This new area will be a great space for dog lovers and their four-legged friends to enjoy some outdoors with others at Como Lake Park," Poloncarz said. "And I thank Parks Commissioner (Daniel) Rizzo, Legislator (John) Bruso, and our partners at Lancaster Unleashed for their hard work and perseverance in guiding this process."
    https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/lo...sghoOH6Nr6ud2c

Previous article

At this point organizers aren't quite sure how much money they would need. They estimate it could be somewhere in the ball park of $50,000.
    Personally I'd rather not see town money spent on a fireworks show and the money go towards a dog park. There are multiple firework shows throughout Erie County so it's not like people couldn't go see fireworks if they wanted to.

I'm looking at it as a something that might attract people to the town compared to fireworks.

I was told previous fireworks at town park cost us at least 25k just in police over time. 2 years of that could be a dog park.

But I do see this comment

Members of Lancaster Unleashed said more than anything they need people to get behind their mission and support the cause.

"It is for anybody," Penziul said. "It's open to anybody to come to it and we really need support from the whole community, not just the Lancaster area."
    I wonder if they mean "anybody" in Erie County or anybody in Lancaster.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Dog park plans announced for Como Lake Park in Lancaster

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/lo...sghoOH6Nr6ud2c

Previous article

Personally I'd rather not see town money spent on a fireworks show and the money go towards a dog park. There are multiple firework shows throughout Erie County so it's not like people couldn't go see fireworks if they wanted to.

I'm looking at it as a something that might attract people to the town compared to fireworks.

I was told previous fireworks at town park cost us at least 25k just in police over time. 2 years of that could be a dog park.

But I do see this comment

I wonder if they mean "anybody" in Erie County or anybody in Lancaster.
    Anybody in Erie County. It's a county park

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Anything go forward with this?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I started this on facebook in Dan's group.

In the other Cheektowaga group they are talking about the land where the old IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY ORPHAN’S HOME COMPLEX used to be on William St

A few people mentioned a dog park.

A dog park can be done rather cheap. Chain link fence, a poop bag dispenser, a trash can to put the poop bags in and a water spigot. Nothing over board. No lighting because there would be no reason for people to use the dog park at night and disturb the home owners around that piece of property.

We would have to do a little research about dog park insurance

http://avdogpark.org/Portals/20/Dog%...e%20Report.pdf

http://blog.pekininsurance.com/indiv...void-dog-parks

From what I read I believe the owner of the property is behind on taxes. Perhaps not.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7867...5443088318446/

So would the town buy the vacant property and turn it into a park?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    So would the town buy the vacant property and turn it into a park?
    Hope not. I was just talking out loud. It should be used for homes. Some people are working on a dog park at Como Park. No reason to be redundant.

I'll lay low with dog park idea.

Saturday we had to put down one of our dogs because of old age/cancer. The female dog was very depressed and heart broken. Yesterday evening while in the yard she had a stroke and fell to her side. Couldn't move. She passed away in parking lot at the emergency vet clinic. They were rescues from an Amish puppy mill. Together since they were puppies.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Hope not. I was just talking out loud. It should be used for homes. Some people are working on a dog park at Como Park. No reason to be redundant.

I'll lay low with dog park idea.

Saturday we had to put down one of our dogs because of old age/cancer. The female dog was very depressed and heart broken. Yesterday evening while in the yard she had a stroke and fell to her side. Couldn't move. She passed away in parking lot at the emergency vet clinic. They were rescues from an Amish puppy mill. Together since they were puppies.
    I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. I’ve heard of that happening to bonded dogs before, very sad.

Originally posted by WNYresident:

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your two babes.

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Now that both dogs are gone their personal files are being shredded. No identity theft.

Over 160 months or 13.3 years we spent $19,185.42 cents on them. This doesn't include the $525 to put one down at the house and $299 at the vet clinic to cremate the other.

The average cost was $119.90 per month over their life time.

The adoption fee was not included in the totals above. That was $1000. Really $500 but we doubled it up.

Thread Information