Thread: Town Clerk election result

Town Clerk election result

What a hoot. It wasn’t what was expected.

Republican Party endorsed candidate Dianne Terranova loses to challenger Anne Desiderio by a vote count of 262 (29%) to 656 (71%) – a total of 918 votes cast of a possible 9,393 registered Republican voters (9.77%)

Democrat Party endorsed candidate Cynthia Maciejewski loses to challenger Dianne Terranova by a vote count 510 (45%) to 627 (55%) a total of 1,137 votes cast of a possible 11,693 registered Democratic Party voters (9.72%).

What a night, what a crowd – yawn!

Party Chairs McCracken and Sojka have to be disappointed and BOE Commissioner Mohr must be smirking. What course of action do they now take considering Terranova won the Democratic line and Desiderio captured the Republican line from Republican endorsed candidate Terranova? How will they accept the loss and support the challenger - or the voters?

Terranova won the Conservative line and was initially endorsed by the Independence Party line but eliminated on the ballot. The two minor parties are sure to play an even bigger role in the Town Clerk election outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Party Chairs McCracken and Sojka have to be disappointed and BOE Commissioner Mohr must be smirking. What course of action do they now take considering Terranova won the Democratic line and Desiderio captured the Republican line from Republican endorsed candidate Terranova? How will they accept the loss and support the challenger - or the voters?
    All of the Republican-endorsed Town Council candidates, and the Erie County Legislature candidate, emerged in a strong position for the general election. All of those candidates have secured the the Conservative line for the fall election, and that is something that the deposed Republican leadership has frequently struggled with.

To the great credit of Sojka and the "New" Republican Party, it would seem that the prospects are promising for Gaczewski, Leary, Stutz and Todaro.

Equal kudos to those Republican voters who shunned party label and embraced objective competence, and voted for Terranova.

MY OPINION:

It will be very difficult for Desiderio to win this thing without the Conservative line.

I believe that Terranova will win this race in November, and in that connection, such GOP failure will rest with Commissioner Mohr, who appears to have thumbed his nose at the Langworthy-Sojka strategy (illustrated by the Mickey Kearns endorsement) of reaching across the isle to celebrate the broad civic good.

But, as on the national level, the Lancaster-Erie County entrenched "Establishment" of both parties will not go down easy.
    Fasten your seat belt.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; June 26th, 2019 at 01:54 AM.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Republican Party endorsed candidate Dianne Terranova loses to challenger Anne Desiderio by a vote count of 262 (29%) to 656 (71%) – a total of 918 votes cast of a possible 9,393 registered Republican voters (9.77%)
    Very disappointing that people vote the party and not the candidate.

Georgia L Schlager

Lee, I noticed that you have the number of registered voters for the Republican and Democratic parties. Do you also have the numbers for the independent and Conservative parties?
    There was no write-ins, this year, eh?

Georgia L Schlager

Originally posted by mark blazejewski:
    Fasten your seat belt.
    Yep, I bet it's going to be one hell of a ride.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Lee, I noticed that you have the number of registered voters for the Republican and Democratic parties. Do you also have the numbers for the independent and Conservative parties?
    There was no write-ins, this year, eh?
    Independents - 1,822

Conservatives - 939

Working Families - 177

Blanks - 6,612

Green Party - 89

The Dems & Reps need to work the stay-at-home Blanks.

Someone was kind enough to send me an updated voter registration list:

Democrats - 11,840

Republicans - 9,668

Independents - 1,858

Conservatives - 1,001

Working Families - 191

Green Party - 98

Libertarians - 31

Blanks/ Other - 6,734

Someone was kind enough to send me an updated voter registration list:

Democrats - 11,840

Republicans - 9,668

Independents - 1,858

Conservatives - 1,001

Working Families - 191

Green Party - 98

Libertarians - 31

Blanks/ Other - 6,734
    Thank you so much for sharing that info. For years, I've looked everywhere and only can find the county numbers.

Very, very much appreciated

Georgia L Schlager

Thank you so much for sharing that info. For years, I've looked everywhere and only can find the county numbers.

Very, very much appreciated
    Dittos Lee.

Your post sure came in handy today.

'Splain to me how this works.
    Do the parties commonly support their endorsed candidate or the voter's choice?

Georgia L Schlager

'Splain to me how this works.
    Do the parties commonly support their endorsed candidate or the voter's choice?
    They should. But this is unique in that the Republican Party endorsed candidate for Town Clerk was a Democrat who lost to a challenging registered Republican. Lot of bad blood between the Lancaster Republican Party Committee Chair and the BOE Republican Party Commissioner – who is Desiderio’s campaign manager. How much support Desiderio will get remains to be seen. Republican Party Committee Chair Greg Sojka is also in a precarious position supporting Desiderio considering street talk claims promised jobs are in the works if she wins – not what is in Sojka’s agenda.

More interesting is that the Republican Party endorsed candidate Terranova challenged endorsed Democratic Party candidate Maciejewski and won and will now be the endorsed candidate of the Democratic Party. Now talk about bad blood, Terranova and Democratic Committee Chair McCracken can’t stand each other. So how much support Terranova can expect from a Committee Chair who refused to endorse her in the first place remains to be seen as well.

As a life-long ‘blank’, this party affiliation loyalty crap means nothing. I already opined that Terranova was deserving of being re-elected. If the Republican Party voters bought into the narrative that Desiderio was the only registered Republican running and deserving of winning the primary, they were misled as to who is the most qualified candidate.

Lastly, looking at the vote count being below 10% for both Republican and Democratic parties, it is both shameful and unfair to the candidates putting in the time and effort.

My BS detector will be ringing loud and often until election day.

They should. But this is unique in that the Republican Party endorsed candidate for Town Clerk was a Democrat who lost to a challenging registered Republican. Lot of bad blood between the Lancaster Republican Party Committee Chair and the BOE Republican Party Commissioner – who is Desiderio’s campaign manager. How much support Desiderio will get remains to be seen. Republican Party Committee Chair Greg Sojka is also in a precarious position supporting Desiderio considering street talk claims promised jobs are in the works if she wins – not what is in Sojka’s agenda.

More interesting is that the Republican Party endorsed candidate Terranova challenged endorsed Democratic Party candidate Maciejewski and won and will now be the endorsed candidate of the Democratic Party. Now talk about bad blood, Terranova and Democratic Committee Chair McCracken can’t stand each other. So how much support Terranova can expect from a Committee Chair who refused to endorse her in the first place remains to be seen as well.

As a life-long ‘blank’, this party affiliation loyalty crap means nothing. I already opined that Terranova was deserving of being re-elected. If the Republican Party voters bought into the narrative that Desiderio was the only registered Republican running and deserving of winning the primary, they were misled as to who is the most qualified candidate.

Lastly, looking at the vote count being below 10% for both Republican and Democratic parties, it is both shameful and unfair to the candidates putting in the time and effort.

My BS detector will be ringing loud and often until election day.
    So it's still unclear if the major parties will monetarily support the voter's choice in either party.
    Wonder what the odds were to have the endorsed candidates from both major parties lose the primary?

Found this on wikipedia. Never knew that the primaries were initiated to take the decision making away from the party insiders.

The United States is one of the few countries to select candidates through popular vote in a primary election system; most countries rely on party leaders to vote candidates, as was previously the case in the U.S. In modern politics, primary elections have been described as a significant vehicle for taking decision-making from political insiders to the voter
    But as you said, Lee, less that 10% of the voters voted from both parties. Not much of a popular vote.

Maybe the democratic committee did foresee the possibility in this result as their committee name is Lancaster Endorsed Democrats, no longer, Lancaster Democratic Committee.

Georgia L Schlager

If the Republican Party voters bought into the narrative that Desiderio was the only registered Republican running and deserving of winning the primary, they were misled as to who is the most qualified candidate.

I may share Desiderio's philosophical values, but IMHO, she is articulating those values from an inappropriate stage. I simply can not support her bizarre efforts to transform the Town Clerk's office into a partisan bully pulpit.

Terranova, without regard to her own personal political philosophy and party affiliation, by far remains the most qualified candidate to appropriately manage the Town Clerk's office, and I strongly support her re-election.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; June 28th, 2019 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    I may share Desiderio's philosophical values, but IMHO, she is articulating those values from an inappropriate stage. I simply can not support her bizarre efforts to transform the Town Clerk's office into a partisan bully pulpit.

Terranova, without regard to her own personal political philosophy and party affiliation, by far remains the most qualified candidate to appropriately manage the Town Clerk's office, and I strongly support her re-election.
    Here's a SHOCKER. I agree Mark. Desiderio has absolutely no past experience in the tax or clerk's office.
    Terranova received an A+ rating for her handling of the mega bucks the town receives in taxes and fees.
    Ruffino, opened the door of transparency by requesting the placement of various town meeting recordings on the website, Terranova followed through
    with no qualms or any excuses of why it couldn't be done of any kind.

She has done a tremendous job with the website

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information