Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Town Clerk primary political claptrap

More Town Clerk primary political claptrap

Having wrote extensively on Speakup regarding the town dropping the ball on getting information out to the public in a timely manner on the changes that were to take place and the reasons for the new garbage contract, not once did I believe current Town Clerk Dianne Terranova bore any culpability in the project process / outcome or information dissemination, or lack of.

Had the same individuals that wrote editorials to the Bee today excoriating Terranova attended the town board meetings, listened to the meeting recordings on the town website, attended and spoke at the public hearing, read the information provided on the town website they would come to understand that information was available – at least much more than that posted by a media attending not only the regular board meetings but the work sessions as well, and were all but silent when the process went into play the beginning of February.

After attending town board meetings religiously for near twenty years, I never saw or heard any Town Clerk offer opinion on a town resolution or proposed project. That is not the position’s purview – nor is this position classified as communication director.

Bee poster(s) viewpoint(s)

The town clerk is elected by the people and when no other public official will, I expect the town clerk to speak out and represent my interests in Town Hall.

A misunderstood and futile expectation. Did the poster attend any town board meetings or partake in the public hearing? No one spoke at the public hearing?

It’s obvious that something unscrupulous occurred within the Lancaster Republican Party, and when every check and balance to our town government is passive, I am glad to have a Republican that is willing to stand up and speak out in favor of the taxpayer.

Indeed, something unscrupulous did occur. After interviewing and vetting candidates, the Republican Committee decided Terranova was the most qualified candidate, worthy of re-election and it endorsed her as their party candidate. Image that, candidate qualifications trumped party affiliation.

That didn’t sit well with BOE Commissioner Ralph Mohr – with his loss of influence within the Lancaster Republican Party - and he encouraged Ms. Desiderio to challenge Terranova. As her campaign manager HE made much of her being “the only (affiliated) Republican running. Having nothing else to campaign on Desiderio attacked Terranova as not speaking out against the $5 garbage bag fee – three months after the program was in place and when residents can now opt to receive a second cart at a $103 fee per year; includes cart. The unit garbage disposal fee is still one with the least cost in Western New York and where residents pay for the amount of trash they create.

I want to follow the rules, but I’m not even sure what they are! Going to the Clerk’s Office for a garbage tutorial and/or obtaining an excess item sticker are out of the question. I work until 5 p.m. and Diane Terranova has done nothing to meet the needs of residents.

Seriously? Four months after the new contract was instated, after mailers were sent to resident homes, information disseminated on the town’s website, at least 16 weeks of trash pickup, at least 8 weeks of recyclable cart pickups and 4 bulk week pickups and this individual does not understand the ‘rules’?

My subdivision learned early on what the rules are when their trash or bulk items were not picked up. Individuals who did not have their carts or bulk items picked up learned early on to read the mailers sent by town and Waste Management and to check the town website for the recently updated ordinance regarding the ‘rules’.

More political claptrap!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

Bee poster(s) viewpoint(s)

The town clerk is elected by the people and when no other public official will, I expect the town clerk to speak out and represent my interests in Town Hall.
    By this standard, does "The Bee" poster suggest that if the collective members of the Town Council fail to satisfactorily "speak out" or otherwise fully "represent" the interests of the residents, it is incumbent, in descending order, upon the Town Clerk, the Town Justices, and finally the Library Trustees to do so?

This, in my opinion, is an inappropriate expectation bordering on utter nonsense, and is suggestive of a rogue misuse of the Town Clerk's office.

Would it not be more proper to attach the expectation of representation to the current candidates for the appropriate office(s)?

Or, should Lancaster turn its present government structure on its head, and while the Town Clerk represents the interests of the residents and engages in the legislative process, the Supervisor can call the roll and record the single vote, while Council Members collect the taxes and issue dog licenses?

Yikes, a voter education program would seem appropriate.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; June 13th, 2019 at 03:26 AM.

To me it's laughable, last June when the town was talking about a new contract, I started cleaning out my basement.
    In those 8 months, I removed all the things that were no longer used from the basement and the house.
    I was prepared for everything but the early summer grass clippings. Now, the highway department took care of that
    issue.

People not knowing the rules by now, is nuts. They even had a phone number just for trash questions and issues.

Georgia L Schlager

On Facebook, the posters keep attaching a tax bill which does not have Anne Desiderio's name on it to her.
    As you can see, her tax bill has NO arrears.

I'm definitely for the other candidate - Diane Terranova, but

I'd rather stick to facts. Innuendo is just that innuendo. jmho

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    On Facebook, the posters keep attaching a tax bill which does not have Anne Desiderio's name on it to her.
    As you can see, her tax bill has NO arrears.

I'm definitely for the other candidate - Diane Terranova, but

I'd rather stick to facts. Innuendo is just that innuendo. jmho
    Gorja,

Without regard to the posting(s) to which you refer, this "controversy" regarding the Desiderio taxes, IMHO, goes to the issues of transparency in general, and Ms. Desiderio's failure to sit for an interview with the Republican Committee in particular.

Perhaps this whole matter is the idiomatic "Tempest In A Teapot," and/or Ms. Desiderio may have been unaware of the tax issue(s), which I understand goes back to 2008. However, it seems to me that this "issue," or "non-issue," most certainly would have been discovered during the background check, and had Ms. Desiderio sat for the Republican Committee interview, she would have had the opportunity to confront, and fully address the same at that time.

Nevertheless, this "issue" is now out in the public domain, and the best interests of transparency would be served by a public response--- just my opinion.

Historically, and perhaps unfortunately, suspicions regarding business interests of a candidate's family have been "fair game" in American politics for quite some time. As I recall, Nelson Rockefeller was required to defend not only his personal wealth and interests, but those of the entire Rockefeller family, during his Vice Presidential confirmation hearings in 1974; Geraldine Ferraro was grilled about the finances of her husband, John Zaccaro, in 1984 and again in 1992.

More recently in 2017, a family business tax issue, unrelated to the specific person of the candidate, was publicly raised during a Lancaster Board of Education campaign.

In any event, such questions are now a part of the political process, and I believe should be addressed fully and transparently, in the interests of fostering public confidence in the political process and in the subject candidate.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; June 15th, 2019 at 08:48 AM.

As a lifelong ‘blank’ unaccustomed to primary balloting, I am confused re the Desiderio Town Clerk mailer our residence received today. Ms. Desiderio again claims to be the Republican Candidate running for Town Clerk. Not yet, Ms. Desiderio – only if you win the Republican Party line in the primary. And, you are not the Republican Party’s endorsed candidate.

What I find most perplexing about the mailer is that it was paid for by the NYS Independence Party – the same party that had endorsed Ms. Terranova early on for the position. Through some ‘trickery’ Terranova was bounced from the ballot, leaving Desiderio unopposed. She has the Independence Party ballot line.

It would make sense if the Independence Party sent out a mailer encouraging voters to vote for Desiderio on their line. This is a mailer beseeching Republicans to vote for her on the Republican line - Independence Party only mentioned as paying for the mailer.

How did Desiderio’s campaign manager, Ralph Mohr, Republican BOE Commissioner get the NYS Independence Party to fund a mailer for the unendorsed Republican Party candidate? A candidate the Independence Party had not endorsed. As I have questioned several other individuals knowledgeable in politics the same, they were unable to answer. I don’t feel too stupid now.

As a 'blank' I cast my vote the great majority of the time on The Independence Party line if my candidate is on the ballot. This chicanery is very disturbing.

And this is only the primary!

Ms. Desiderio again claims to be the Republican Candidate running for Town Clerk. Not yet, Ms. Desiderio – only if you win the Republican Party line in the primary. And, you are not the Republican Party’s endorsed candidate.
    From the Lancaster edition of The Bee. Methinks there may be a thematic pattern here:

Desiderio announces bid for Lancaster town clerk
    April 17, 2019

Anne Desiderio has officially qualified herself for the ballot for Lancaster town clerk by filing almost twice the number of signatures required on petitions filed at the Erie County Board of Elections. She will be running on the Republican line.

What I find most perplexing about the mailer is that it was paid for by the NYS Independence Party – the same party that had endorsed Ms. Terranova early on for the position. Through some ‘trickery’ Terranova was bounced from the ballot, leaving Desiderio unopposed. She has the Independence Party ballot line.
    Trickery and then some.

It would make sense if the Independence Party sent out a mailer encouraging voters to vote for Desiderio on their line. This is a mailer beseeching Republicans to vote for her on the Republican line - Independence Party only mentioned as paying for the mailer.
    This is partially the "and then some" I was referring to.

How did Desiderio’s campaign manager, Ralph Mohr, Republican BOE Commissioner get the NYS Independence Party to fund a mailer for the unendorsed Republican Party candidate? A candidate the Independence Party had not endorsed. As I have questioned several other individuals knowledgeable in politics the same, they were unable to answer.
    That question is as perplexing as "Where does the universe begin and end?," and "Where did the universe come from?

I don’t feel too stupid now.
    The last thing you are is stupid Mr. C.

If you are stupid, I should be that smart.

With that said, if you ponder those questions and observations too long and intensely, it will turn your world class mind into mush.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; June 17th, 2019 at 07:16 PM.

Do you know what boggles my mind?

Looking at the petitions filed for Town clerk, I do NOT note any for Desiderio on the Independence line.

Georgia L Schlager

Do you know what boggles my mind?

Looking at the petitions filed for Town clerk, I do NOT note any for Desiderio on the Independence line.

When you have Commissioner Mohr as your mentor and campaign manager anything is possible. I am sure he can clear this up – as well as where the money came from to pay for the recent Desiderio Independence Party mailer calling for the support of an unendorsed Republican Party candidate.

It is my understanding that the Independence Party does not fund mailers – especially primary mailers. If anyone receives a Terranova mailer paid for by the Independence Party, please post it or write of its exitance. I would be very surprised!

How did Desiderio’s campaign manager, Ralph Mohr, Republican BOE Commissioner get the NYS Independence Party to fund a mailer for the unendorsed Republican Party candidate? A candidate the Independence Party had not endorsed.

Ah, your question seems even more profound Lee, when you consider that Lynn Dixon a registered and endorsed Independent seems to be paying for her own mailers.

Curious that the Independence Party, seems more concerned about, and active in, the Republican Primary race for Lancaster Town Clerk, than it is about supporting its endorsed and own registered member running for County Executive, who is being challenged in the Independence Primary.

Why is Lynn Dixon paying for her own mailers for the Independence Party Primary, while the Independence Party is paying for Desiderio's mailers in the Lancaster Town Clerk's Republican Primary???

As Sheriff Andy Taylor would say, "Curious, Curious, Curious."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; June 19th, 2019 at 04:29 PM.

Originally posted by mark blazejewski:
    As Sheriff Andy Taylor would say, "Curious, Curious, Curious."
    Someone should do as Barney Fife would say, "Nip it. Nip it in the bud"

Georgia L Schlager

Someone should do as Barney Fife would say, "Nip it. Nip it in the bud"
    Well said!

barney.jpg

I have set my new ‘BS detector’ to low sensitivity at this time of primary political rhetoric mailers. BS is well practiced by all parties. The Desiderio mailer we received in the mail today did set off several alerts.

Yes, Ms. Desiderio you have made it crystal clear that you are the only registered Republican vying for the Town Clerk position – ad nauseum. That doesn’t make you the most qualified candidate, especially considering you did not approach the Lancaster Republican Party for an interview (or any other party to my knowledge), hence were not vetted, hence not endorsed by the Republican Party and/or any other party.

In the mailer Desiderio claims she is not a professional politician. She qualified for the ballot without any political party organization, and is not beholden to any party boss. Cough, cough, shutter, gag. Desiderio did not receive any party organization support because she did not request any knowing she would not have received any from any of the four political parties in Lancaster. Her stating that she is not beholding to any party boss really fired up the detector when the Republican Party Board of Elections Commissioner is Ralph Mohr, her campaign manager.

The BS detector really rang out on Ms. Desiderio’s claim that she is leading the fight to repeal the unfair tax on garbage. The recent contract signed with Waste Management is for five years. The Town Clerk has no legislative say in the contract’s negotiating process or action to change or dissolve it. More political claptrap.

Lastly, the great majority of residents are satisfied with the unit cost increase and where cost is now relegated to the amount of garbage created by a household for disposal.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    I have set my new ‘BS detector’ to low sensitivity at this time of primary political rhetoric mailers
    Please let us know when it goes into alarm

Georgia L Schlager

Yes, Ms. Desiderio you have made it crystal clear that you are the only registered Republican vying for the Town Clerk position – ad nauseum. That doesn’t make you the most qualified candidate, especially considering you did not approach the Lancaster Republican Party for an interview (or any other party to my knowledge), hence were not vetted, hence not endorsed by the Republican Party and/or any other party.

The first Republican elected Town Clerk since Eisenhower. WOW!

What a thin and shallow appeal to the most primitive partisan instincts.

There is another way to consider that "dated" comment: "The first Republican elected Town Clerk since Nixon was Vice President."

Goes to show you, there are good Republicans, and bad Republicans.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; June 21st, 2019 at 05:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information