Thread: Need for an Able, Truth-telling Town Clerk Who Understands the Job

Need for an Able, Truth-telling Town Clerk Who Understands the Job

The Lancaster Town Republican Committee recently endorsed for re-election the current town clerk, Diane Terranova. Terranova ran 4 years ago on the Democratic ticket. The endorsement says something about the Republican Committee's regard for the great job Terranova is doing. Terranova understands the role of the town clerk, having been part of the office team for over 14 years. She has ably fulfilled all responsibilities.

A local Republican candidate, Anne V. Desiderio, is pursuing a June 25th primary day challenge on the Republican line against Terranova. Candidate Desiderio appears not to understand the job of town clerk for which she is a candidate. Desiderio also appears to believe that in politics it is okay to misrepresent the facts. Speaking truthfully to the public apparently is not her priority.

Desiderio has crossed the line of campaign ethical decency and engaged in campaign deception in her local mailing and press releases. The town board approved a new contract for garbage collection. Desiderio, perhaps uninformed about how policy is made and who implements policy, mistakenly blames Terranova for a $5 excess garbage fee, calling that fee “The Terranova Tax”. That is outrageous.

The duties and authority vested in the office of the town clerk are set forth in detail in the NYS Town Law, General Municipal Law, Local Finance Law, Public Officers Law and Real Property Tax Law. I suggest candidate Desiderio inform herself of the powers and duties of a town clerk by reading these laws before casting stones upon the clerk, Diane Terranova, and misinforming the public. None of these laws vest in the town clerk any authority to enact laws or set fees. The town board, as the legislative body, enacted the $5 fee. It did so via the signing of 5-year garbage contract authorized by resolution of the town board. Town clerk Diane Terranova was not a signatory to that contract. Nor, did Diane Terranova have a vote on that contract. To say otherwise misrepresents the facts and misleads the electorate.

I love this community and want to see it well governed by public servants like Diane Terranova. Having served as Lancaster's town clerk for 36 years, I do understand the job of town clerk. I know that Diane Terranova is able, experienced and innovative. I also know that campaign falsehoods and misrepresentations hurt the electoral process. They deprive the public of the ability to choose wisely those who represent them. We need to stop these blatant campaign falsehoods and sleazy half-truths in campaign literature. We need an able, truth-telling town clerk.

Robert P. Thill
    Town Clerk from 1964 to 2000
    Town of Lancaster

Comment

Copies of Mr. Thill's letter have also been submitted to the Buffalo News, Lancaster Bee and Lancaster Sun.

I was pleased that Mr. Thill sent me a copy for posting as well as we are in agreement - especially after having just today received another deceiving mailer from Mrs. Desiderio.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The Lancaster Town Republican Committee recently endorsed for re-election the current town clerk, Diane Terranova. Terranova ran 4 years ago on the Democratic ticket. The endorsement says something about the Republican Committee's regard for the great job Terranova is doing. Terranova understands the role of the town clerk, having been part of the office team for over 14 years. She has ably fulfilled all responsibilities.
    Who else is running?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

A local Republican candidate, Anne V. Desiderio, is pursuing a June 25th primary day challenge on the Republican line against Terranova. Candidate Desiderio appears not to understand the job of town clerk for which she is a candidate. Desiderio also appears to believe that in politics it is okay to misrepresent the facts. Speaking truthfully to the public apparently is not her priority.

Desiderio has crossed the line of campaign ethical decency and engaged in campaign deception in her local mailing and press releases. The town board approved a new contract for garbage collection. Desiderio, perhaps uninformed about how policy is made and who implements policy, mistakenly blames Terranova for a $5 excess garbage fee, calling that fee “The Terranova Tax”. That is outrageous.

The duties and authority vested in the office of the town clerk are set forth in detail in the NYS Town Law, General Municipal Law, Local Finance Law, Public Officers Law and Real Property Tax Law. I suggest candidate Desiderio inform herself of the powers and duties of a town clerk by reading these laws before casting stones upon the clerk, Diane Terranova, and misinforming the public. None of these laws vest in the town clerk any authority to enact laws or set fees. The town board, as the legislative body, enacted the $5 fee. It did so via the signing of 5-year garbage contract authorized by resolution of the town board. Town clerk Diane Terranova was not a signatory to that contract. Nor, did Diane Terranova have a vote on that contract. To say otherwise misrepresents the facts and misleads the electorate.

I love this community and want to see it well governed by public servants like Diane Terranova. Having served as Lancaster's town clerk for 36 years, I do understand the job of town clerk. I know that Diane Terranova is able, experienced and innovative. I also know that campaign falsehoods and misrepresentations hurt the electoral process. They deprive the public of the ability to choose wisely those who represent them. We need to stop these blatant campaign falsehoods and sleazy half-truths in campaign literature. We need an able, truth-telling town clerk.

Robert P. Thill
    Town of Lancaster

Comment
    Spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Who else is running?
    IMHO, this thread should be relegated to not who is running, but who should not be running based on their inept knowledge of the operation of the Town Clerk's Office and misleading campaign statements made in her mailers and the media. Who is running has been featured in another thread,

Her recent mailer states: "Anne Desiderio has a different philosophy of government, and as the only registered Republican running in the primary for Town Clerk. Anne has the qualities of principle and leadership necessary to stand up for the residents she's elected to serve."

A different philosophy of government, indeed. She remains clueless of the operation of the Clerk's office and its administrative function.

The only registered Republican running in the primary? True, but devious and designed to manipulate voters into thinking she is the endorsed Republican candidate. She is not and never appeared before the Republican Committee to interview for their endorsement.

Terranova is the endorsed Republican and Conservative Party candidate. She should have been endorsed by her own Democratic Party. She is deserving of re-election.

JUST SOME FOOD FOR THOUGHT, BASED ON MY OPINION:

What does Desiderio mean by "Professional politicians think they can ask for your vote, and not have to give you anything in return?"

Considering her repeated strictly partisan pitch that she is "the only registered Republican" running for Town Clerk, together with her claim to having a "different philosophy of government," I am compelled to be truly concerned about this candidate.

If one weaves the collective comments together, is it possible that she saying that she will use the Town Clerk's office to GIVE favor to strictly to her brand of partisan supporters? After all, this mailer seemingly speaks exclusively to Republican voters.

Those collective statements suggest in my mind not only a "different philosophy of government," but IMHO, perhaps a possible rogue misuse of the office, which may be organized to function and serve in favor of her select supportive clique, does it not?

Criminees, who is writing this crap, an what in Hell kind of message is that to send voters?

Sounds to me like the jargon of the "Establishment Swamp," but, what do I know?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; June 6th, 2019 at 02:30 AM.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:

Robert P. Thill
    Town of Lancaster
    Perfect!!

Georgia L Schlager

Our current supervisor didn't know how to open mail when she was the clerk, so the bar is set quite low.

Thread Information