State legislature passes bill banning cat declawing

items.[0].image.alt

ALBANY, N.Y. (WKBW) — The New York legislature has passed bill to make New York the first state to ban the declawing of cats. Governor Andrew Cuomo has yet to say if he would sign the bill into law.

The bill would subject veterinarians to $1,000 fines for performing the procedure, which involves amputating a cat's toes back to the first knuckle.

Declawing a cat is already illegal in much of Europe as well as in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Denver.
https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news...BEzVh9kREBi_No

I'm in the middle on this.

We had a cat once. If it wasn't declawed it wouldn't have been able to stay in the house. It would just snap and attack. I don't mean "let's play"... I mean draw blood and seriously hurt you.

There was an barn auction that I believe was in Springville. There happen to be a box of kittens that were taken from their mom way too early. Barn cats. They were all taken except for one that no one wanted that had a deformed tail. When my other half came home she brought that kitten with her.

The dog we had was having anxiety issues from being along during the day.

This is moose.

She passed away over 23 or so years ago. We figure the kitten could be company for the dog. They totally bonded and were best friends.

What we didn't know was that the cat had a mean side.

This is Humphrey.

Would be all nice and then just freak out. I always had cuts and marks on my hands and arms. If she had front claws that would have been bad. We had a neighbor who insisted cats love her. We would always say "Don't bother with the cat" or "Don't make eye contact".. "Don't come into the house until we get the cat into the bedroom".. Nope she didn't listen. One day the cat went all alien on her and she freaked out. Even when you are 80+ years old you can jump if you have to.

The cat passed away a few years after we purchased our home. Life goes fast. That was like 20 years ago. I'm pretty sure she is now Satan's assistant.