Thread: Town Assessor Question

Town Assessor Question

When Rebecca Baker became the town assessor on October 1, 2015,
    wasn't she given 6 months to establish residency in Lancaster?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    When Rebecca Baker became the town assessor on October 1, 2015,
    wasn't she given 6 months to establish residency in Lancaster?
    Again, I guess it's different strokes for different folks.

As almost 4 years later, her 2019 financial disclosure form lists her residence in Newstead.

Georgia L Schlager

Why doesn’t the town board take action on this? Probably because she’s wired into the Democratic Totalitarian Party somehow. Problem is, if the board ever does try to enforce the law, the first defense will be arbitrary and selective enforcement. Some town boards in this area are notorious for adopting town laws that they have no intent to enforce but which look good to residents.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Well if you point out one person and there happens to be others no in compliance you open up a can of worms

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Well if you point out one person and there happens to be others no in compliance you open up a can of worms
    WNY, I’ve never understood that argument. If the town has a residency law and it’s being violated then enforce it. Who is going to be inconvenienced, other violators of the law? So what! If the town isn’t serious about its own local laws how can it expect others, eg developers, to be serious about the town’s laws, like zoning, storm water control, etc. If they don’t want it repeal it.

Here's the law as it was amended in 2016. In the back of my dense head, I vaguely remember the board giving her an extension.
    But the law reads one extension then sayonara unless I'm interpreting it wrong.

Georgia L Schlager

I do not remember there being a residency condition set at Ms. Baker’s hiring. Baker replaced retiring Assessor Christine Fusco who at the time was sharing services with Clarence. Clarence dissolved the shared service agreement and hired a full time Assessor.

Lancaster hired Baker, Assessor at the time in Newstead, to fill Fusco’s position (part time). I do not remember if Lancaster waived the residency requirement, but I would be surprised if it did not because Baker’s hours and salary would have been a deterrent to her taking the position and moving from Newstead to Lancaster.

It is very common for towns to waive residency requirements when many towns are sharing assessor services, or the office is being filled by part-timers. A residency waiver can be authorized by the town.

I believe that all town assessors are up for reappointment this year (September?) – 6-year term. If Ms. Baker is reappointed, or whoever, the residency requirement should be clarified. And, I don’t believe this position falls under Civil Service Competitive Classification.

I find Ms. Baker to be very informative and transparent and can attest that like Town Clerk Diane Terranova had nothing to do with the $5 sticker fee for the 40-lb garbage bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    I do not remember there being a residency condition set at Ms. Baker’s hiring. Baker replaced retiring Assessor Christine Fusco who at the time was sharing services with Clarence. Clarence dissolved the shared service agreement and hired a full time Assessor.

Lancaster hired Baker, Assessor at the time in Newstead, to fill Fusco’s position (part time). I do not remember if Lancaster waived the residency requirement, but I would be surprised if it did not because Baker’s hours and salary would have been a deterrent to her taking the position and moving from Newstead to Lancaster.

It is very common for towns to waive residency requirements when many towns are sharing assessor services, or the office is being filled by part-timers. A residency waiver can be authorized by the town.

I believe that all town assessors are up for reappointment this year (September?) – 6-year term. If Ms. Baker is reappointed, or whoever, the residency requirement should be clarified. And, I don’t believe this position falls under Civil Service Competitive Classification.

I find Ms. Baker to be very informative and transparent and can attest that like Town Clerk Diane Terranova had nothing to do with the $5 sticker fee for the 40-lb garbage bag.
    I love the last line

I don't have anything against her. My point was regarding following policies. I just had it in my head that since she wasn't a shared assessor her residency was to be in Lancaster. Again, I vaguely remember her getting an extension of time.

Lee, your memory has always been better than mine

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I love the last line

I don't have anything against her. My point was regarding following policies. I just had it in my head that since she wasn't a shared assessor her residency was to be in Lancaster. Again, I vaguely remember her getting an extension of time.

Lee, your memory has always been better than mine
    Gorga, I know that you attend the great majority of town board meetings. If you attend tonight’s meeting this would be an opportune time to question the board on residency requirements of Town Assessor Rebecca Baker as there is a resolution on the agenda to approve her reappointed for another 6 years.

As we discussed earlier, I believe the residency clause was waived. It would be good to get clarification.

IMHO, Ms. Baker is deserving of reappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Gorga, I know that you attend the great majority of town board meetings. If you attend tonight’s meeting this would be an opportune time to question the board on residency requirements of Town Assessor Rebecca Baker as there is a resolution on the agenda to approve her reappointed for another 6 years.

As we discussed earlier, I believe the residency clause was waived. It would be good to get clarification.

IMHO, Ms. Baker is deserving of reappointment.
    I was planning to ask

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information