Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Town Clerk's Office Provides A Service, Not A Political Voice

The Town Clerk's Office Provides A Service, Not A Political Voice

This mailer is troubling, because it clearly suggests that candidate Desiderio, once again, appears to not understand the role of an elected Town Clerk.

Trash Bags.jpg

Previously, Ms. Desiderio made this comment:

"As the only registered Republican running for Town Clerk, I am running because I believe that our elected leaders must stand for something, They should have a core set of beliefs that are consistent with the party and the people they seek to represent."

In another political message, it was suggested that "As Town Clerk, Ann will be an effective advocate for all of Lancaster."

The most recent political message from Ms. Desiderio proclaimed her commitment to "Fight Terranova's Tax," an apparent reference to the five dollar label fee attendant to Waste Management services.

(This comment makes me wonder about how she proposes to "Fight" this so-called tax. Will she comply with the current requirements, or engage in rogue defiance?)

Although the political message does not assert that Ms. Desiderio's "Fight" is a component to her campaign for Town Clerk, the timing of the message, the inappropriate characterization of the "Terranova Tax," together with her previous comments strongly suggest that Ms. Desiderio simply does not understand the prescribed government role of the Town Clerk.

The Town Clerk does not function as a voting representative on Town Council.

The Town Clerk does not serve as a legislative advocate on the Town Council.

The Town Clerk does not propose, set, or vote to assign fees (like the $5,00 Waste Management labels), assess property, approve budgets, or set tax rates.

Rather, the role of the Town Clerk is a service office, and its mandate is to preserve the legal and financial records for the Town, retain and dispose of them in accordance with legally-prescribed procedures, and to provide the required services to the residents of the town .

Simply put, I believe if one seeks an elected office, the candidate should know something about the responsibilities and functions of that office.

Based on her campaign so far, Ms. Desiderio, in my opinion, does not know if she seeks to become Supervisor, Town Council Member, or ROGUE Town Clerk
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 22nd, 2019 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    This mailer is troubling, because it clearly suggests that candidate Desiderio, once again, appears to not understand the role of an elected Town Clerk.

Trash Bags.jpg

Previously, Ms. Desiderio made this comment:

"As the only registered Republican running for Town Clerk, I am running because I believe that our elected leaders must stand for something, They should have a core set of beliefs that are consistent with the party and the people they seek to represent."

In another political message, it was suggested that "As Town Clerk, Ann will be an effective advocate for all of Lancaster."

The most recent political message from Ms. Desiderio proclaimed her commitment to "Fight Terranova's Tax," an apparent reference to the five dollar label fee attendant to Waste Management services.

(This comment makes me wonder about how she proposes to "Fight" this so-called tax. Will she comply with the current requirements, or engage in rogue defiance?)

Although the political message does not assert that Ms. Desiderio's "Fight" is a component to her campaign for Town Clerk, the timing of the message, the inappropriate characterization of the "Terranova Tax," together with her previous comments strongly suggest that Ms. Desiderio simply does not understand the prescribed government role of the Town Clerk.

The Town Clerk does not function as a voting representative on Town Council.

The Town Clerk does not serve as a legislative advocate on the Town Council.

The Town Clerk does not propose, set, or vote to assign fees (like the $5,00 Waste Management labels), assess property, approve budgets, or set tax rates.

Rather, the role of the Town Clerk is a service office, and its mandate is to preserve the legal and financial records for the Town, retain and dispose of them in accordance with legally-prescribed procedures, and to provide the required services to the residents of the town .

Simply put, I believe if one seeks an elected office, the candidate should know something about the responsibilities and functions of that office.

Based on her campaign so far, Ms. Desiderio, in my opinion, does not know if she seeks to become Supervisor, Town Council Member, or ROGUE Town Clerk
    Mark I read that, I am not advocating either candidate but simply by what the article stated, it is a voice piece from Terranova and she used the word "we." It is an interesting message from Desiderio by stating, "Terranova Tax" as a (from your words) characterization of the message.

Honestly, I have known Ms. Desiderio (not personally) from the local restaurant in Lancaster, and she has always been pleasant and passionate in her disposition. She is a nice person. I just don't know why you are saying negative things about this persons character.....just my two cents....

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Mark I read that, I am not advocating either candidate but simply by what the article stated, it is a voice piece from Terranova and she used the word "we." It is an interesting message from Desiderio by stating, "Terranova Tax" as a (from your words) characterization of the message.

Honestly, I have known Ms. Desiderio (not personally) from the local restaurant in Lancaster, and she has always been pleasant and passionate in her disposition. She is a nice person. I just don't know why you are saying negative things about this persons character.....just my two cents....
    Sounds like your two cents is in foreign currency Shortstuff, because I don't know what the Hell you are talking about.

Character? Try reading what I wrote and not reading into those comments.

Why are you representing me as a character assassin ("negative things about her character"), when I only said that she appears not to know the functions of the office she seeks?

Her campaign presentation illustrated the so-called article under the banner "Ann Desiderio Is Fighting Terranova's Tax."

Do you agree that the responsibility for the imposition of the so-called "Tax" belongs to Terranova?

If not, you need to apply your critical eye AND snide comments to the Desiderio campaign, not to me.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 22nd, 2019 at 01:24 PM.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I thought Desiderio was running for the Republican line in the primary?

From my reading of linked-article, one could get the impression, at least I did, that she has the Republican line "this year."

Big difference in my world, but what do I know?

At Monday evening’s town board meeting a Local Law Amending Chapter 25 of the Town Code of the Town of Lancaster to update information relating to the Town’s new Refuse Collection, Disposal and Recyclable Materials Collection and Processing Service was unanimously adopted. (Amended code on Town website – resolution #11).

While no resident spoke on the proposed amended law at the May 4th public hearing, or at Monday’s meeting at the public comment session prior to resolution, a resident did speak at the closing public comment session on what precipitated the new contract changes where the public is now paying more in garbage fees and getting less in service.

All board members contributed in explaining the nuances of the new contract and reasons for:

• The town had incredible service at a great price under the old contract. Waste Management wanted out of the contract but were legally bound to comply. One of the best in the county. People were coming from other areas to dump their garbage in our town because Waste Management was literally taking everything.

• Waste Management had warned town that when contract renewal time came around the town would not get the same services for the same cost. Had the town sought same services the cost would have been outrageous. Unit owners will only be paying $20 more with the new negotiated contract ($148 to $168). Other municipalities that contract on their own are paying $400 - $500 per year.

• It only makes sense that if someone is generating more garbage than the calculated average, they should be paying more in disposal fees. Hence the added $103 annual fee for individuals needing an additional 95-gallon cart and content disposal. The entire town should not be penalized in paying for individuals generating more waste than the norm.

• Town no longer gets paid for recycling. Estimated cost to now dispose of recyclable materials $150,000.

• Consultants determined average household waste generated – 2.5 (35 gallon) containers. Town provides 95-gallon containers which should meet needs for average household generated waste.

Bulk – Bulk pickup scheduled for monthly pickup. Bulk placed in private totes or town carts will not be accepted. Put grass clippings in clear plastic bags. Only three items will be picked up – such as furniture (couch) carpeting (three rolls = 1 item), appliances, etc. (see town code or brochure handouts).

Comments

It appears Waste Management will adhere to the three-item bulk condition – unlike in past practice where they were picking up everything disregarding old contract guidelines. This past week was our bulk pickup week. One neighbor had 8 items at the curb. Only three were picked up.

The Bee reported the following today in an article titled Online petition calls for additional garbage fee repeal.

If a resident needs more capacity, the town established two solutions. One option for residents is to pay for additional service by acquiring an additional trash cart for $103 per year. Another is to purchase extra-capacity stickers, which cost $5 each, to have extra bags of non-food waste, such as grass clippings, picked up at the curb on collection day. Each sticker allows for the collection of one bag of non-food waste weighing no more than 40 pounds.

Anne Desiderio, who will be running on the Republican line this year for Lancaster town clerk, started an online petition Tuesday for residents to support her effort in eliminating the $5-per-bag garbage fee for additional non-food waste.

“I firmly believe that waste collection is a core service of local government that residents already pay for through their town taxes,” said Desiderio in a statement released Monday. “To charge an additional fee for the privilege of placing extra bags at the curb during peak lawn and yard cleanup seasons is punitive and it is wrong.”

Desiderio believes “a more taxpayer-friendly approach would be to negotiate a better contract or find a way to better control costs.”

“We don’t charge additional fees if it snows more and the roads need to be plowed more frequently, and we should not punish residents who generate more waste because they maintain their properties,” said Desiderio.

Ann Desiderio will be running on the Republican line in the primary, challenging endorsed Republican candidate Dianne Terranova.

Ann Desiderio has been a no show to voice her opinion at any time in the past several months to express any opinions on the negotiated refuse contract – and there was ample opportunity to do so at town board meetings.

I personally have seen no rhetoric or indication the Desiderio has called the contract ‘Terranova’s Tax’ but question whether Desiderio is using her Online petition as a concerned citizen or as political strategy to advance her primary campaign challenge. Regardless, as Town Clerk Terranova played no role in the waste contract negotiations; or had a vote in approving the contract. Why it would be called 'Terranova's tax makes no sense at all.

IMHO - the board was late in explaining the process to the public. In the past month it has been transparent in presenting reasons for and the nuances involved in the process and code change. Considering everyone will now pay their fair share for the disposal of refuse they create the playing field has been leveled.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

I personally have seen no rhetoric or indication the Desiderio has called the contract ‘Terranova’s Tax’ but question whether Desiderio is using her Online petition as a concerned citizen or as political strategy to advance her primary campaign challenge. Regardless, as Town Clerk Terranova played no role in the waste contract negotiations; or had a vote in approving the contract. Why it would be called 'Terranova's tax makes no sense at all.
    Lee,

The mailer was paid for by the NYSCIP.

Since Ms. Terranova's name was removed from the Independence Party line, and absent any comment by Ms. Desiderio denouncing the "Terranova Tax" characterization, I will leave it to the reader to decide if Ms. Desiderio approved the mailer, or whether the NYSCIP went rogue about the fee issue.

If my characterization of the "Terranova Tax" comment are not entirely accurate, my bad, but Ms. Desderio needs to publicly disassociate herself with the "Terranova Tax" comment, in order to avoid such confusion impacting the "Blank" voter such as myself, and the Independence voter such as my wife.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 23rd, 2019 at 06:28 AM.

I personally have seen no rhetoric or indication the Desiderio has called the contract ‘Terranova’s Tax...’
    Lee, I did not write Desiderio called the refuse tax the "Terranova Tax." In fact, I wrote that the mailer did, and suggested therefore that Ms. Desiderio "appears to not understand the role of an elected Town Clerk:"

I have also observed that the comments on the mailer may have had the tendency to confuse the voters regarding the exact source the "Terranova Tax" characterization, and IMHO, if Ms. Desiderio was not the source of that characterization, that she needs to "publicly disassociate herself" with the comment:

If my characterization of the "Terranova Tax" comment are not entirely accurate, my bad, but Ms. Desderio needs to publicly disassociate herself with the "Terranova Tax" comment, in order to avoid such confusion impacting the "Blank" voter such as myself, and the Independence voter such as my wife.
    Apparently, in this article, Jane Kwiatowski of the Buffalo News, seemingly shares in such possible confusion:

$5 garbage fee heats up Town of Lancaster clerk's race

By Jane Kwiatkowski Radlich|Published May 28, 2019|Updated May 28, 2019

A $5 garbage removal fee imposed earlier this spring heated up the GOP primary race for town clerk in Lancaster.

Anne V. Desiderio, a political newcomer, launched a petition drive to repeal the fee residents must pay to place extra garbage bags at the curb for collection.

Desiderio, 54, who will off against incumbent Diane M. Terranova, called the fee “Terranova’s Tax” in a recent campaign pamphlet mailed to some voters. Terranova, 61, took issue with the designation.

“Does she not know what the clerk does? I don’t set the tax rate; I collect town taxes and county school taxes. To say I have initiated a refuse tax is ludicrous,” Terranova said.

Terranova, a registered Democrat, received the endorsement of the Lancaster Republican Committee. Town Democrats endorsed Cynthia A. Maciejewski, 49, a clerk in the Lancaster Building and Zoning Department.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/28/5...-of-lancaster/
    Once again, that absent a public disassociation with the "Terranova Tax" characterization, I hold that Ms. Desiderio simply may not understand the duties of the office which she seeks.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 29th, 2019 at 08:48 AM.

I personally... question whether Desiderio is using her Online petition as a concerned citizen or as political strategy to advance her primary campaign challenge.
    I hold the exact same concern Lee.

Desiderio's online petition apparently was posted on her campaign website on May 21...

"The Bee," May 23, 2019 Edition:

Anne Desiderio, who will be running on the Republican line this year for Lancaster town clerk, started an online petition Tuesday for residents to support her effort in eliminating the $5-per-bag garbage fee for additional non-food waste.
    ... and that is why on May 22 under this thread, I styled the petition her "most recent campaign message," proclaiming her commitment to resist "Terranova's Tax:"

https://www.anneforclerk.com/

https://www.anneforclerk.com/sign-the-petition
    In fact, just five hours after I posted those words, "The Bee," again in its May 23 Online edition, quoted Desiderio with words eerily similar to my own characterization.

"This online petition reinforces that commitment, and I hope that Lancaster elected officials will be responsive to the people they were elected to serve.”
    In as much as any such petition has the legal weight of a feather, I offered this further musing:

Those questions and musings still trouble me.

IMHO, either Ms. Desiderio or her surrogates perhaps do not understand the functions and responsibilities of the office that Desiderio seeks, or even more concerning, perhaps the candidate and/or its surrogates may have deliberately miscast the trash bag fee as the "Terranova Tax."

Nevertheless, it is my opinion that Ms. Desiderio needs to publicly and authoritatively clear-up the apparent confusion residing in some minds regarding the "Terranova Tax" characterization.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 29th, 2019 at 02:27 PM.

I personally have seen no rhetoric or indication the Desiderio has called the contract ‘Terranova’s Tax...’
    I have just received this mailer Lee, and there appears to be no ambiguity. Desiderio has styled the trash bag fee as "Terranova's Tax."

YIKES!

She apparently does not know the functions of the Town Clerk. Very concerning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ann Desiderio apparently does not know that the Town Clerk does not sponsor or vote on legislation.

"Terranova's Tax?"

Yikes!

I don't know about her "Republican values..."

... but she kinda sounds like Democrat AOC...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdYD...NJSL_6fFvNwLr4

aoc2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 30th, 2019 at 10:19 AM.

I have just received this mailer Lee, and there appears to be no ambiguity. Desiderio has styled the trash bag fee as "Terranova's Tax."

YIKES!

Thank you for posting the mailer, Mark. Seeing is believing.

As a ‘blank’ I have no skin in the primary but do take an interest in the politics being played. I too do not understand why Mrs. Desiderio fails to understand that as Town Clerk Mrs. Terranova played no part in the garbage contract negotiating process, nor did she play any role in its resolution approval. That is the Town Board’s function, not the Clerk’s Office.

The $5 sticker fee for an extra 40 lb. garage bag was negotiated between the town board and Waste Management. The function of the Clerk’s Office is to collect the sticker fee. It is not ‘Terranova’s Tax’ in any shape or form.

Despite not being endorsed by the Republican Party – or even presenting herself for interview and vetting by the Republican Party Committee - Mrs. Desiderio should know that considering her mentor and campaign manager is Republican BOE Commissioner Ralph Mohr.

Looking from the outside into the Town Clerk primary how can one not question why the Republican Party found Mrs. Terranova deserving of re-election and her own Democratic Party did not?

As a Republican why is Mr. Mohr favoring Mrs. Desiderio over his party- endorsed candidate – incumbent Town Clerk Terranova? Is this lame ‘Terranova Tax’ claim just an attempt to discredit Terranova because they have nothing else in the toolbox?

Is there any connection between Mohr and Democratic Party Chair McCracken to dispose of Terranova? Terranova has received endorsements from the Republican, Conservative and Independence Parties.

Ah, sleazy politics at its best!

Thank you for posting the mailer, Mark. Seeing is believing...

...Ah, sleazy politics at its best!
    My thanks to you Lee for enduring the topic of this thread which, until now, was without solid confirmation.

To post it was certainly my pleasure, and certainly no thanks are necessary.

Until I actually saw her words over her signature, I was a bit skeptical also, and that is why I applied all of those semantic gymnastics on this thread.

Again, many thanks for your patience.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 30th, 2019 at 01:17 PM.

IF I AM UNDERSTANDING THESE WORDS ATTRIBUTED TO ANN DESIDERIO IN THE MAY 30, 2019 EDITION OF "THE SUN" CORRECTLY...

..they are, IMHO, VERY troubling:

" 'I know that it's not the responsibility of the Town Clerk to make law,' Desiderio said. 'I know that it was decided upon. But she took it on, she had it in the newspaper, she was on the news for it and it wasn't really representing the people.' "
    I am gratified that Ms. Desiderio appears to have finally stated that the Town Clerk does not make law, and seemingly, is acknowledging that the characterization of the trash bag fee as "Terranova 's Tax" may have been inappropriate.

However, her comments "But she took it on, she had it in the newspaper, she was on the news for it.."" are astonishing.

It is my opinion that the responsibilities of the Town Clerk include, but are not limited to, the communication of official Council policies and postings, to collect public monies, issue appropriate licenses, and to collect fees.

Does Ms. Desiderio suggest that such communications by the Town Clerk were occasioned by Ms. Terranova's whim, and not within the scope of her required duties?

Is Ms. Desiderio not aware that such public communications, disclosures, and related functions are part and parcel of the Town Clerk's official duties?

Furthermore, I hold that Ms. Desiderio's comment "it wasn't really representing the people" is VERY troublesome and perhaps bizarre.

Does Ms. Desidero not know that American system of government functions not as a direct democracy, but as a representative republic?

Is Ms. Desiderio unaware that our elected representatives enact laws on our behalf, and as such, various popular viewpoints notwithstanding, their votes represent the will of the people, and therefore, the Council's adoption of the contract, with the attendant fees, is in fact representative of the will of the people?

Does Ms. Desiderio suggest that the Town Clerk should only communicate policy(s) when it, or others, perceive that policy(s) to be "really representing the people?"

If so, that comment would seem to contradict her pledge to "Utilize the Town Clerk's as a way to increase transparency in town government."

The disclosure and communications functions of the Town Clerk, in my opinion, must be applied without regard to personal whim, popular perception, or political advantage.

Ergo, the Town Clerk, as I envision the position, above all other town officials, must be accurate, unbiased. and transparent.

Therefore, I hope that I have misunderstood Ms. Desiderio's words as they appeared in the May 30, 2019 edition of "The Sun," and as specified above.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 30th, 2019 at 04:41 PM.

YIKES!

Apparently, the NYS committee of the Independence party is as stupid as she is.

I honestly don't know why anyone would keep putting a spotlight on a candidate who is so ignorant
    about the duties of the office she is seeking. There certainly can't be that many voters that are that uninformed.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information