Thread: I like Sears - Craftsman riding mower

Tony Fracasso - Admin

I like Sears - Craftsman riding mower

I'm surprised the downturn Sears had.

I purchased my lawn mower from Sears in 1999. I have been rather rough with it over time and the deck finally had a piece rust off. Could have probably welded it up but there was quite a bit of time on the rest of the parts. Monday a complete deck arrived and changed out this morning. So if this deck lasts 20 years I'll be 75 and the mower will be about 40 years old. It owes me nothing. I could have went and purchased a new mower but that seemed pointless. A replacement mower would have been about $1900.00 + tax. The repair with a few other things was $900 complete. The money I didn't spend will go into my IRA and grow.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I'm surprised the downturn Sears had.

I purchased my lawn mower from Sears in 1999. I have been rather rough with it over time and the deck finally had a piece rust off. Could have probably welded it up but there was quite a bit of time on the rest of the parts. Monday a complete deck arrived and changed out this morning. So if this deck lasts 20 years I'll be 75 and the mower will be about 40 years old. It owes me nothing. I could have went and purchased a new mower but that seemed pointless. A replacement mower would have been about $1900.00 + tax. The repair with a few other things was $900 complete. The money I didn't spend will go into my IRA and grow.
    What kind of a lawnmower costs that much ?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Something like this. Not this one though.

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-2558...SABEgLDQPD_BwE

This is the deck assembly. I could have just ordered a shell but this came with everything. I have quite a bit to mow and occasionally will mow the neighbors lawn.

2 years ago I had to use a neighbor's mower which was newer. One thing I did not like was one of the safety features. You had to hold down a lever to go into reverse. If you let go of the lever the mower would stop.

I was going to look into a zero turn type mower but I'd have to replace the shed. When it was built the doors were 48" across.

This would have been cool.

https://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/c...zt-17RIEAC5010

or

https://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/c...zt-17RREACA010

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    It's always something.

The old front tires would slowly lose air. At the end of last fall one one was just flat. The mower is about 21 years old so I's say I got my money out of the tires.

Took the wheels to Fox Equipment on Union and got new tires/tubes. They said I could just have tubes put in but I figured I wanted new tires and tubes.

Craftsman Mower Tires

The hard part was removing the old rubber cap that protected the c-clip. It got hard over the years. Otherwise it was easy to pull the wheels off. Just had to use a jack to hold up the mower until I put them back on.

Craftsman Mower Tires

Had new rubber caps ready to go

Craftsman Mower Tires

Including new steering column bearing/bushings. Figured if I'm replacing the tires might as well replace these also.

Steering Column Bearing/Bushing

Now I just have to figure out where my grease gun is. Gotta keep things lubricated if you want them to last. There are grease fittings on each wheel including one on the steering assembly.

Just like new

Craftsman Mower Tires

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I'm debated out....

I still like sears even though they are fading away....

Boy am I getting my money out of my push mower....

This cable lasted until this weekend. Half way threw mowing that final little steal wire snapped. Instantly became a 100% push mower.

craftsman mower

Craftsman is still around with valid part numbers.

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/

craftsman mower

The part itself is no longer available as a craftsman item. The site has a live chat feature and the person gave me a Husqvarna part# that will work. $35.62 later I have the part sitting here.

mower parts

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Arg...The joys of yard work never ends....

I have about 21 years our of this mower... Really can't complain. Replacements parts are still available.

Front Axle craftsman mower

Front Axle craftsman mower

https://amzn.to/3vCj4rl

Thread Information