Thread: Amherst cops named in gun confrontation

Amherst cops named in gun confrontation

Now are these suburban cops going to act like the city cops or city jail attendants? I think amherst asst chief needs to get his head out between his legs and train your cops.

So now if you carry a gun and have a permit for it and someone has seen it on his belt this happens? I have carried for the last 45 years im sure someone had to see my gun in my belt when my pants fall or my jackets happens to be un zipped. I recently was at a wedding and seen a young guy with a holsterd gun on his belt. suit coat was off did anyone call the cops? nope. what is wrong with people.

Amherst police arrived about five minutes later. They approached the man and, the report said, took him down to the ground at gunpoint and handcuffed him. no questions asked just beat the **** out of the guy. trained cops no.

Nowak says he was "violently grabbed, manhandled, thrown to the ground (and) assaulted."

"My understanding is they did not ask him any questions before they tackled him," said Peter P. Vasilion, Nowak's attorney

mad man waving a gun around was reported. lol, the guy was sitting reading a book.

Going to cost Amherst some money on this one and I would sue the medical office employee for reporting a made up story.

A police official said officers responded appropriately to the report of a person displaying a weapon at a doctor's office. The officers did not arrest Nowak.

"We didn't trump up a charge or anything," Assistant Police Chief Charles Cohen said. "We dusted him off and apologized, and we were on our way. But I suppose when you get helped to the floor by police, your next call is probably going to be to a civil attorney."

The incident started at about 2:30 p.m. on Jan. 14 when someone called 911 to report a suspicious man with a gun sitting on a bench inside the lobby at 199 Park Club Lane, Suite 300, according to a police report.

A witness, a 56-year-old patient from Ontario who asked not to be named, told The Buffalo News she saw a man with a gun tucked behind his back walk into the restroom. When he came out, more of the gun was visible.

She said she didn't see him waving around the gun, but she was concerned enough to report this to a secretary in the office. An employee made the call to 911 and the practice locked its doors after the man briefly went outside.

Amherst police arrived about five minutes later. They approached the man and, the report said, took him down to the ground at gunpoint and handcuffed him.

Nowak says he was "violently grabbed, manhandled, thrown to the ground (and) assaulted."

"My understanding is they did not ask him any questions before they tackled him," said Peter P. Vasilion, Nowak's attorney.

In the claim, Nowak said police responded to a report of a "madman" brandishing and pointing a handgun and insists he was, in fact, sitting peacefully reading a book.

Nowak told the responding officers, according to the police report, that his handgun was concealed and in a holster at all times. Nowak told them his shirt might have ridden up, exposing the gun, the officers reported.

"They apologized to him at the scene and let him go," Vasilion said.

Police informed the original caller and Great Lakes staff that Nowak was permitted to carry a handgun.

Officers confirmed Nowak holds a valid pistol license.

Nowak accuses the town and the department of failing to properly train their officers and of failing to ensure their officers properly carry out their duties. He added that he made a complaint shortly after the incident to Amherst police but he hadn't received a response as of the March 14 filing of the notice of claim.

Cohen said police had to check out the call because at least one person was unsettled by what she saw.

"The tone, before they got there, was kind of like, there's something hinky about this guy and he's not being real careful about making sure people don't see his gun," Cohen said.

Officers have to get control of an uncertain situation as soon as possible, he said, and that's why they don't always have the ability to slowly approach the subject and give verbal instructions.

chief at least your officers dusted the guy off and let him go after they knocked him to the ground. what a bunch. who trains these cops?
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

In the claim, Nowak said police responded to a report of a "madman" brandishing and pointing a handgun and insists he was, in fact, sitting peacefully reading a book.
    The 911 call is always recorded... and certainly needs to be reviewed before Amherst police dept intelligently responds to these accusations regarding their actions....especially if when they responded and allegedly found the individual sitting on a bench reading a book.

A witness, a 56-year-old patient from Ontario
    Wait, if Canada's socialized medicine is so great that politicians say we should be like them why are Canadians coming here for health care?

Also Canadians, I have no problem with you coming here but please understand we still have some freedom left which includes being able to legally carry a gun. Someone having a hosltered gun and not doing anything else is not a reason to freak out.
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Um ya, I’d like to hear the other side of the story

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    ...but please understand we still have some freedom left which includes being able to legally carry a gun. Someone having a hosltered gun and not doing anything else is not a reason to freak out.
    There is a reason it is called CONCEALED carry

b.b.

"We didn't trump up a charge or anything," Assistant Police Chief Charles Cohen said. "We dusted him off and apologized, and we were on our way. But I suppose when you get helped to the floor by police, your next call is probably going to be to a civil attorney."
    This is probably one of the dumbest quotes I have ever read from a Chief of Police.

"We didn't trump up a charge or anything."

I guess there is that...

b.b.

Quote Originally Posted by BorderBob View Post
    This is probably one of the dumbest quotes I have ever read from a Chief of Police.

"We didn't trump up a charge or anything."

I guess there is that...

b.b.
    chiefy sounds like a real beauty. sounds like someone they would hire cheek. going to cost Amherst some money for this move. that's ok just write more tickets on the 290.
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

"We didn't trump up a charge or anything," Assistant Police Chief Charles Cohen said.
    Pretty much admitted that they have done this in past...REALLY DUMB!

Quote Originally Posted by BorderBob View Post
    There is a reason it is called CONCEALED carry

b.b.
    yeah, but there's a difference between open carry and your shirt accidentally riding up
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

If your shirt rides up then it’s not concealed anymore, don’t be a dumb gun owner and wear clothing that will expose your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    If your shirt rides up then it’s not concealed anymore, don’t be a dumb gun owner and wear clothing that will expose your gun.
    Exactly.

b.b.

Thread Information