Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Feel About Pretentiousness?

How Do You Feel About Pretentiousness?

How do you feel about pretentiousness?

You know what I mean... People with "la dee da" or "I'm too good for that" kinds of attitudes?

I'm talking about people who think that anything that is mainstream is only for the "common folk"... who they believe are somehow beneath them.

Do you know anyone with pretentious attitudes? How do you react to them?

Do you consider yourself pretentious? Or are you more of a "common folk" type?
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Unregistered

Why does pretensiousness have to be bad, whats wrong with moderation

Why does pretensiousness have to be bad, whats wrong with moderation?

Ive always prided Buffalonians for their down to earth kindness and lack of pretense whether its the local tavern or the sports venue or pushing their neighbors car out of the snow....

while at the same time Buffalonians do not shy away from the positives of pretension whether its art, music, preservation, entrepreneurial dreams of big business, etc.

go to far in being down to earth and one approaches redneck backwardness
    go to far in being pretensious and one becomes a little lord fauntleroy judging everything accomplishing nothing

I always prided Buffalonians on being rather balanced and having the best of both....

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1

You know what I mean... People with "la dee da" or "I'm too good for that" kinds of attitudes?

I'm talking about people who think that anything that is mainstream is only for the "common folk"... who they believe are somehow beneath them.

I find your post very condescending and I don't appreciate your smug attitude. Furthermore, if you persist with these affectations we will have no choice but to have you up before the committee. Now, if you don't mind I have some ass scratching and inbreeding to do.
    Last edited by NoCtUrNaL; February 10th, 2007 at 03:28 PM.
    The difference between taxes and robbery is the mode of coercion.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy

go to far in being down to earth and one approaches redneck backwardness
    go to far in being pretensious and one becomes a little lord fauntleroy judging everything accomplishing nothing

I always prided Buffalonians on being rather balanced and having the best of both....
    Well said
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCtUrNaL
    I find your post very condescending and I don't appreciate your smug attitude. Furthermore, if you persist with these affectations we will have no choice but to have you up before the committee. Now, if you don't mind I have some ass scratching and inbreeding to do.
    Well, la de da, Mr. Highbrow.

I'd write more but I gotta get some Monster cabling for my Julius Futterman tube amps- there's not enough warmth coming from my...oh crap, I just spilled bottled Pelligrino on 098y0sibli8ty PY9+_)+*&OUG847la(*&*(&%^R^U
    "At a minimum, a head of state should have a head."- Vladimir Putin

So what y'all are sayin' is that there's a fine line between being a snooty and condescending highbrow snob and a Cheetos munching slack jawed yokel?

Unregistered

Its actually a pretty wide line

Its actually a pretty wide line since everyone has their own excentricities and pecularities

I don't think Humans should consider themselves COMMON. It's like asking "are you normal"? Who wants to be normal and common? That is boring. Humans are unique and profound, and we're not here to just be cows in a pasture. The term common folk to me indicates people who have low esteem and offer no excitement, vision, creativity and sense of adventure.

I'm truly un-common and not normal. ARE YOU?

Everybody sing! ---

I am extraordinary
    if you'd ever get to know me
    I am extraordinary
    I am just your ordinary
    Average everyday sane psycho

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by a-new-voice
    Humans are unique and profound, and we're not here to just be cows in a pasture.
    What choo be talkin 'bout Willis?

I was thinking

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles
    Everybody sing! ---

I am extraordinary
    if you'd ever get to know me
    I am extraordinary
    I am just your ordinary
    Average everyday sane psycho

Actually, I was thinking:

don't wanna waste my time
    Become another casualty of society
    I'll never fall in line
    Become another victim of your conformity

Seriously though... Is being a non-conformist the same as being Pretentious?
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Quote Originally Posted by colossus27
    Well, la de da, Mr. Highbrow.

I'd write more but I gotta get some Monster cabling for my Julius Futterman tube amps
    Futtermans? FUTTERMANS!!?? They'll blow up and take your speakers with them. For OTL's go Atma-Sphere. Proudly made in the USA. 24 output tubes per mono pair to keep me warm on these cold nights.

Quote Originally Posted by LaNdReW
    Actually, I was thinking:

don't wanna waste my time
    Become another casualty of society
    I'll never fall in line
    Become another victim of your conformity

Seriously though... Is being a non-conformist the same as being Pretentious?
    It can be, but not usually.
    "All government, -indeed, every human benefit and enjoyment, every virtue and every prudent act,- is founded on compromise..." -Edmund Burke
    A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910), (attributed)
    Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004 George W. Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Effigy
    Futtermans? FUTTERMANS!!?? They'll blow up and take your speakers with them. For OTL's go Atma-Sphere. Proudly made in the USA. 24 output tubes per mono pair to keep me warm on these cold nights.
    My speakers can handle the glorious warmth of the Futtermans. How so?
    My secret is BatMax stickers. After putting these on, the tone and timbre will make your heart sing. Particluarly when you're drinking Penta Water.

Have you noticed green sharpies are in short supply? I'm not happy with the 96kHz, 24 bit audio, 5.1 channel I get from DVD-A...it doesn't sound authentic enough...need a marker to make those bits sound better.
    "At a minimum, a head of state should have a head."- Vladimir Putin

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1

Pretentiousness is a way of life where I live in Long Island. When I lived in Western New York I have to admit that I was a bit pretentious. That was part of the reason why I left Western New York. However after 8 years in the NYC area and bit of growing up I've learned to appreciate the simple pleasures of Western New York and drop the attitude. In fact, the lack of pretension seems refreshing to me now. The personal coldness and empty sophistication of where I live now is what I now hate.

Sure I'm educated and enjoy the finer things, but I also enjoy going to a corner bar and having a beer and a fish fry. It is part of who I am and where I came from. I was a fool to deny that.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information