Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Town updating refuse, garbage and recycling code

Town updating refuse, garbage and recycling code

At Monday evening’s town board meeting, the board will be voting on a resolution to amend Chapter 25 of the Town Code of the Town of Lancaster to update information relating to the Town’s new Refuse Collection, Disposal and Recyclable Materials Collection and Processing Service.

The language of the resolution is quite clear when it comes to defining town, resident and Waste Management’s obligations under the new contract; that is, with exception of bulk – IMHO. Residents should be aware of the following:

25-13-I: All major appliances or large household furnishings not capable of being placed in receptacles or bundles as provided herein may be placed at the curb-line or pavement-line only on the scheduled bulk pickup collection day for that area. Residents are allowed to place out a total of three (3) bulk items per month per dwelling/parcel during the second full week of each month. It shall be the sole responsibility of the owner to dismantle the appliance or furnishing so that it will not be a hazard to the public. Specifically, all refrigerator and freezer doors must be removed, and Freon lines must be decommissioned.

25-13-J: Bulk waste and large appliances are to be collected by the authorized collector and each private collector on days to be determined by the Town.

(1) Carpeting must be rolled in lengths of 4 feet or less, taped securely, and no wider than 18 inches.
    (2) Large items must be of size that can easily be handled by two employees.
    (3) Additional acceptable items include small furniture, bedding and mattresses, hot water tanks, and large appliances.

Comment: If hot water tanks are acceptable for bulk pickup, why not toilets, sinks, bathtubs, etc.? What household replacement materials that can, or cannot, be considered for bulk needs clarification. Residents are still unsure of what can go for bulk pickup as Waste Management was taking materials they should not have picked up under the last contract. Not sure? Contact the town or Waste Management.

(4) Bulk item collection does NOT include air conditioners, microwave-emitting equipment, microwave ovens, and regulated material covered by the New York State Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act, such as televisions and computers.

(5) Any item, such as a weed trimmer or small lawnmower, with an engine requiring oil and gas must have those liquids removed prior to collection.

25-16-D: No court proceedings shall be commenced against any person who violated the provisions of Subsection C hereinabove set forth for any violation occurring before June 1, 2019 in order to permit persons to come into compliance with this local law.

Comment: A household has until June 1st to come to compliance with the new town regulations or their garbage will not be picked up. So, if Waste Management is now accepting carts with open lids, or furnaces which are an item for disposal (so I have been told by the town) not be picked up by WM after June 1st, you have been made aware.

25-16-F. Replacement of Lost/Stolen/Damaged Carts. If a cart is reported lost/stolen/damaged, the resident will be responsible for a replacement fee of $60.

Comment: That is not quite what was forecast by the town early on. Paint identification on the inside of the lid. Record and save the unique identity numbers on the carts - better yet, take and save a picture of the cart identity numbers on your cell phone device. They are not as stable as we were led to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    At Monday evening’s town board meeting, the board will be voting on a resolution to amend Chapter 25 of the Town Code of the Town of Lancaster to update information relating to the Town’s new Refuse Collection, Disposal and Recyclable Materials Collection and Processing Service.

The language of the resolution is quite clear when it comes to defining town, resident and Waste Management’s obligations under the new contract; that is, with exception of bulk – IMHO. Residents should be aware of the following:

25-13-I: All major appliances or large household furnishings not capable of being placed in receptacles or bundles as provided herein may be placed at the curb-line or pavement-line only on the scheduled bulk pickup collection day for that area. Residents are allowed to place out a total of three (3) bulk items per month per dwelling/parcel during the second full week of each month. It shall be the sole responsibility of the owner to dismantle the appliance or furnishing so that it will not be a hazard to the public. Specifically, all refrigerator and freezer doors must be removed, and Freon lines must be decommissioned.

25-13-J: Bulk waste and large appliances are to be collected by the authorized collector and each private collector on days to be determined by the Town.

(1) Carpeting must be rolled in lengths of 4 feet or less, taped securely, and no wider than 18 inches.
    (2) Large items must be of size that can easily be handled by two employees.
    (3) Additional acceptable items include small furniture, bedding and mattresses, hot water tanks, and large appliances.

Comment: If hot water tanks are acceptable for bulk pickup, why not toilets, sinks, bathtubs, etc.? What household replacement materials that can, or cannot, be considered for bulk needs clarification. Residents are still unsure of what can go for bulk pickup as Waste Management was taking materials they should not have picked up under the last contract. Not sure? Contact the town or Waste Management.

(4) Bulk item collection does NOT include air conditioners, microwave-emitting equipment, microwave ovens, and regulated material covered by the New York State Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act, such as televisions and computers.

(5) Any item, such as a weed trimmer or small lawnmower, with an engine requiring oil and gas must have those liquids removed prior to collection.

25-16-D: No court proceedings shall be commenced against any person who violated the provisions of Subsection C hereinabove set forth for any violation occurring before June 1, 2019 in order to permit persons to come into compliance with this local law.

Comment: A household has until June 1st to come to compliance with the new town regulations or their garbage will not be picked up. So, if Waste Management is now accepting carts with open lids, or furnaces which are an item for disposal (so I have been told by the town) not be picked up by WM after June 1st, you have been made aware.

25-16-F. Replacement of Lost/Stolen/Damaged Carts. If a cart is reported lost/stolen/damaged, the resident will be responsible for a replacement fee of $60.

Comment: That is not quite what was forecast by the town early on. Paint identification on the inside of the lid. Record and save the unique identity numbers on the carts - better yet, take and save a picture of the cart identity numbers on your cell phone device. They are not as stable as we were led to believe.
    Thanks for posting Lee.

BTW, spring leaf collection is challenging, but the VOL appears to be accommodating residents. We are instructed to place the leaves in a pile on the village right-of-way property and NOT on the street.

Trucks are going street-by-street, and that collection process will be repeated for some time.

Last night the town board adopted a resolution to hold a public hearing on May 6th on amending Local Law 2019, Chapter 25: Refuse, Garbage and Recycling. Several residents questioned Supervisor Coleman for clarification on the proposed law regarding language and disposal cost and services provided.

Lost carts: Replacement cost will be $60 - $50 for cart cost, $10 delivery charge.

Bulk items eligible for monthly pickup not only include furniture, appliances and hot water tanks, but household items like sinks, toilets and furnaces. If not sure of what is eligible for bulk pickup, call town or Waste Management.

Grass: Place in trash cart. Purchase 40 lb. stickered bag for extra space. Purchase extra cart at $103 service cost per year. Store in contractor bags for monthly bulk pickup day.

Construction materials; alternatives for disposal:
    1. Sell. 2. Bagsters ($19.95) + disposal contract fee. 3. Contract disposal company for small dumpster use. Call office for guidelines.

Increased cost and less service

When questioned on why the service cost has increased while the amount of services provided have decreased Supervisor Coleman responded that this is the new ‘market standard’ that is taking place across our country. The town did not create this standard and worked long and hard to initiate a contract that was reasonable, affordable and fair.

Had the contract retained the same level of service as the expired contract, especially with weekly bulk pickup and 10-item-limit, the expense would be extreme. The cost to taxpayers would have been extreme and would also burden a budget with a 2% tax cap levy.

As the town pays by the town for garbage disposal it is only fair that people generating more garbage pay their fair share. Nothing is for free anymore.

Translation: "I waited far to long to actually negotiate. They knew that had me and I had to take whatever deal i was given. Wow, i suck at my job."

SPEAKING OF LAST NIGHT'S COUNCIL MEETING:

Can anyone shed light on a rather curious exchange during last night's session?

As I understand the situation, a Warner Road resident, a self-described Ruffino neighbor, perhaps friend, represented that Highway Superintendent Amatura mishandled a complaint by the resident in connection with the performance of Town workers on his property, attached by a "right-of-way."

I further understand that Councilman Ruffino made no attempt to directly address the resident's concerns.

(After all, it is election season: The perceived time when an aspiring Council Member/Supervisor candidate is in search of publicity.)

Could this have been another choreographed performance in silence, at the expense of another taxpayer: A manipulated sequel to the 2017 ZBA fandango?

Who would not be alarmed that this resident's concerns and public pleadings may have been gratuitously sacrificed on the alter of political fence sitting?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; April 16th, 2019 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    SPEAKING OF LAST NIGHT'S COUNCIL MEETING:

Can anyone shed light on a rather curious exchange during last night's session?

As I understand the situation, a Warner Road resident, a self-described Ruffino neighbor, perhaps friend, represented that Highway Superintendent Amatura mishandled a complaint by the resident in connection with the performance of Town workers on his property, attached by a "right-of-way."

I further understand that Councilman Ruffino made no attempt to directly address the resident's concerns.

(After all, it is election season: The perceived time when an aspiring Council Member/Supervisor candidate is in search of publicity.)

Could this have been another choreographed performance in silence, at the expense of another taxpayer: A manipulated sequel to the 2017 ZBA fandango?

Who would not be alarmed that this resident's concerns and public pleadings may have been gratuitously sacrificed on the alter of political fence sitting?
    Mark who did you get this insight/info from? I heard a totally different story.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Mark who did you get this insight/info from? I heard a totally different story.
    More than one source Shortstuff, and all sources mirror the comments that I presented.

As I posted, I am seeking further information. What is your understanding of the "curious exchange?"

At Monday evening’s town board meeting, a public hearing was held to amend Chapter 25 of the Town Code of the Town of Lancaster to update information relating to the Town’s new Refuse Collection, Disposal and Recyclable Materials Collection and Processing Service.

No one spoke. Looks like everyone is zeroed in on the new contract and with its operational changes and obligations. I must admit that so far everything is going pretty good in our subdivision.

Garbage amended law

At Monday evening’s town board meeting a Local Law Amending Chapter 25 of the Town Code of the Town of Lancaster to update information relating to the Town’s new Refuse Collection, Disposal and Recyclable Materials Collection and Processing Service was unanimously adopted. (Amended code on Town website – resolution #11).

While no resident spoke on the proposed amended law at the May 4th public hearing, or at Monday’s meeting at the public comment session prior to resolution, a resident did speak at the closing public comment session on what precipitated the new contract changes where the public is now paying more in garbage fees and getting less in service.

All board members contributed in explaining the nuances of the new contract and reasons for:

• The town had incredible service at a great price under the old contract. Waste Management wanted out of the contract but were legally bound to comply. One of the best in the county. People were coming from other areas to dump their garbage in our town because Waste Management was literally taking everything.

• Waste Management had warned town that when contract renewal time came around the town would not get the same services for the same cost. Had the town sought same services the cost would have been outrageous. Unit owners will only be paying $20 more with the new negotiated contract ($148 to $168). Other municipalities that contract on their own are paying $400 - $500 per year.

• It only makes sense that if someone is generating more garbage than the calculated average, they should be paying more in disposal fees. Hence the added $103 annual fee for individuals needing an additional 95-gallon cart and content disposal. The entire town should not be penalized in paying for individuals generating more waste than the norm.

• Town no longer gets paid for recycling. Estimated cost to now dispose of recyclable materials $150,000.

• Consultants used to determine average household waste generated – 2.5 (35 gallon) containers. Town provides 95-gallon containers which should meet needs for average household generated waste.

• Bulk – Bulk pickup scheduled for monthly pickup. Bulk placed in private totes or town carts will not be accepted. Put grass clippings in clear plastic bags. Only three items will be picked up – such as furniture (couch) carpeting (three rolls = 1 item), appliances, etc. (see town code or brochure handouts).

Comments

It appears Waste Management will adhere to the three-item bulk condition – unlike in past practice where they were picking up everything disregarding old contract guidelines. This past week was our bulk pickup week. One neighbor had 8 items at the curb. Only three were picked up.

IMHO - the board was late in explaining the process to the public. In the past month it has been transparent in making reasons for and nuances involved in the process and code change. Considering everyone will now pay their fair share for the disposal of refuse they create the playing field has been leveled.

I haven't come close to filling my tote. The recycling tote on the other hand gets filled over the two weeks.

With all the rain we had I had to bag my backyard grass for a cut. Luckily I have a wooded area where I can dump the clippings though or else it probably would've filled the tote on clippings alone.

It looks like the Highway dept will begin picking up unbagged grass clippings

BRUSH PICK UP

Items that will be collected:

Grass clippings - NOT BAGGED
    Tree branches – not to exceed 8 feet in length and 6 inches in diameter
    Twigs
    Leaves - NOT BAGGED
    Shrubs
    Tree and Shrub roots
    Tree stumps
    Logs
    These items will NOT be picked up if in bags, cans or any type of container.

Georgia L Schlager

It’s the first week of June and according to the town’s new garbage policy directive the time when residents can request and receive additional carts at an additional annual fee of $103 per cart – includes cart and content disposal.

Residents who have voiced displeasure over having to pay the town a $5 sticker fee per 40-lb bag of additional disposal are grumbling about having to pay for amount of garbage created and disposed of above the determined norm.

They voiced that they could not understand why the same services that were provided for under the old contract were not continued. A public hearing was held and no one from the public spoke. A resolution was approved and again no one addressed the board on the resolution until the public comment session – well after the new Refuse Law was approved.

It was only at that public comment session that the board fully (finally) explained the reasons for the contract negotiations, its components / nuances, cost implications and merits. IMHO, had the board been this open and transparent early on the mechanism of the contract negotiations, it would have received a better buy-in from the public.

My community has been pleased with the new process and the few who have tested the waters of resistance have not had their garbage (and bulk) picked up.
    It is what it is – no different than what is taking place across the country.

See Gorja's post (#11) on the role the Highway Department is considering taking to assist in reducing trash and bulk.

BTW – does anyone know how many residents have signed Ann Desiderio’s (Town Clerk candidate) online petition to remove the $5 sticker fee for the additional 40-lb garage bag?

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    BTW – does anyone know how many residents have signed Ann Desiderio’s (Town Clerk candidate) online petition to remove the $5 sticker fee for the additional 40-lb garage bag?
    You have to wonder if that woman ever researches anything before she speaks, "charging us for services other municipalities provide their residents for free"
    She'd be paying
    $505. in Cheektowaga for trash at her current assessment.
    $412. in Clarence
    $444. in Elma
    In Alden, do not know what their trash tax rate is but beginning 4/1/19 in their new contract with WM,
    BULKY ITEMS will be picked up QUARTERLY (4 times per year) and will be limited to 10 items per unit per quarter.

$166.88 is cheap in comparison and with the $103. for the extra tote and service, $270. is still
    lower than our neighbors.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post

BRUSH PICK UP

Twigs
    Leaves - NOT BAGGED
    Shrubs
    Tree and Shrub roots
    Tree stumps
    Logs
    Re-mowed part of the lawn and collected the grass and put out front.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post

BRUSH PICK UP

Twigs
    Leaves - NOT BAGGED
    Shrubs
    Tree and Shrub roots
    Tree stumps
    Logs
    Thanks for posting, Gorga!

Kudos to Highway Superintendent Amatura and his department for this undertaking.

Kudos also to Code Enforcement Officer Matt Fischione for successfully completing the process and examination to become a State certified Floodplain Manager. The Association of State Floodplain Managers grants certification only to those professionals who meet the requirements and complete a comprehensive examination on the programs and standards to reduce flood loses in the nation.

Fischione has already issued 56 stormwater / drainage violation notifications with expected remedy mandates.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information