Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Town updating refuse, garbage and recycling code

After entering into a new refuse and recycling contract with Waste Management the Town of Lancaster recently updated and amended some of the codes last updated in 1992. Those changes are noted at the end of the section amended or where additional language follows.

Article III Refuse and Recycling [1]
    [Adopted 8-17-1992 by L.L. No. 3-1992]

The following section was not amended.

§ 25-13 Duties of owners and occupants.

A. Every owner and/or occupant of residential, commercial and/or institutional property within the Refuse District shall keep all MSW in suitable container inside a building located on said property or in a suitable, completely enclosed structure outside a building, which has been constructed for that purpose and which complies with the building codes of the Town.

It was my understanding that this passage was going to be eliminated considering the size of the new carts and resulting storage issues - and where this ‘duty’ was never enforced under the old code. Why is it still in the code?

This obligation pales in comparison to now having to store bulk items for monthly pickup.

Copy submitted to Town Board.

There were many overloaded garbage and recycling totes on Central in the village yesterday morning
    Was like driving through the slums. Very unbecoming for the business district

Georgia L Schlager

The village business district must get a break in following the code.
    The last 2 weeks, the corner of West Main and Central has looked like this.

They are empty when coming through after work

Georgia L Schlager

Mine look like that every week.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    Mine look like that every week.
    And they take it?

I've seen others that look like that still sitting there like that after the pick up

Georgia L Schlager

Every bit of it. Last week i walked out with the truck there and dumped another can in myself.

Its seems there is no true set of service guidelines for the WM workers ! I put carpet out - cut and rolled as per their instructions. They didn't touch it but left a notice saying there was to much bulk waste. I talked to a rep who said within 24 hours "9 rolls" would be collected. They never showed up -
    I called them and ask them to explain - they just re-read the guidelines and suggested I take it to a "sorting center" ! I asked where the nearest center is and the lady said "Ask your Town reps if you/they have one - some do - some dont"
    So now I have to store these rolls for months putting out a few rolls at a time. The kicker is - two blocks away I have seen big chunks of carpet at the curb and the removed it ? ! ?
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Its seems there is no true set of service guidelines for the WM workers ! I put carpet out - cut and rolled as per their instructions. They didn't touch it but left a notice saying there was to much bulk waste. I talked to a rep who said within 24 hours "9 rolls" would be collected. They never showed up -
    I called them and ask them to explain - they just re-read the guidelines and suggested I take it to a "sorting center" ! I asked where the nearest center is and the lady said "Ask your Town reps if you/they have one - some do - some dont"
    So now I have to store these rolls for months putting out a few rolls at a time. The kicker is - two blocks away I have seen big chunks of carpet at the curb and the removed it ? ! ?
    You can dump off 3 rolls at the front of my house on Sun. Aug 11, my pickup day is Mon Aug 12

Georgia L Schlager

Thanks - wonder if there is a rule that says I could be sited for doing that ? If not - I might just try it !!!!!!!!
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Thanks - wonder if there is a rule that says I could be sited for doing that ? If not - I might just try it !!!!!!!!
    You will not be cited. I have encouraged my neighbors to bring bulk items to my property when they see there is nothing for pickup - trash as well if there is room in my cart.

Town Supervisor Coleman publicly stated she encouraged her neighbors to share services when the need arises.

As to the inconsistency of Waste Management pickup: The guidelines are there for the drivers to follow. Some do, some don't. I have seen some of my neighbors not getting bulk items picked up, others more than three items. Hopefully, the town code enforcement officers will be contacted and in turn contact Waste Management.

This past week the driver in my neighborhood collected a cart with trash inside and an old personal tote on top with the cart lid wide open.

Yes, please do.
    Supervisor Coleman has stated that she puts her tote out and tells her neighbors to put trash in that doesn't fit in their own.

Georgia L Schlager

I dump additional trash in my neighbor's tote all of the time. He fills 5% of it, but keeps the large tote in case he cleans and may fill it.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Good for Yaksplat. Neighbors working with neighbors.

Not everyone is getting the service that yaksplat is getting

Central and Walden 1 day ago
    Garbage issues
    Who do we contact for this lovely garbage company? No pick up of our recycling and the mess they made with the regular garbage is unexceptable. So sick of this.

Central Village·18 hr ago
    Last week the dead-end side of Livingston St. did not have their recycling picked up ( at least 25 bins) . I called up the village since I live in the village and they referred me to the town. When I called the town, the woman that answered the phone suggested that I call Waste Management and she gave me the phone number for them. 496-5000. I suggested to her that maybe the Town ought to call Waste Management as well, since they are the ones that contracted their service and that maybe a phone call from the town would be a little bit more legitimizing. She did not like my suggestion at all. As a side note. I called the town to deal with this as if I have spare time on my hands to make a third phone call. By the way it will take about five minutes to complete the call to WM. None of their prompts offers an extension for missed trash pick up or complaints. But the girl that answered was very nice. Our Recycling did get picked later that afternoon...though three days later. Best wishes with your call.

Central Village·16 hr ago
    My Recycling was not picked up last weekend either. Figured I screwed up the week, but then noticed this week was definitely not recycling week either.

Central and Walden·16 hr ago
    My recycling was not picked up yesterday either. The town website says to call Waste Management 18009724545 if there is a missed collection. I’ll be giving that a shot today

Central and Walden·16 hr ago
    They picked up on Seneca St. at Seitz late yesterday afternoon...our regular garbage pickup day...but not until after dinnertime.

Stony Rd·16 hr ago
    I had issues as well. That number for Waste Mgt is a call center-they thought I was calling from Lancaster New Hampshire! Not local phone. Took many calls for many days to finally get called back. Supervisors Office was not helpful, in fact rude. Town made a bad deal with this company and we have to pay for it and live with it for now. I’ve lived here 30 years with no garbage pick up issues and since this contract-so many. They leave notes that must take longer than picking up the box-yes-cannot put items on bulk garbage day in cardboard boxes either!

Bowmansville·12 hr ago
    I was told previously to contact the town as they hold the contract with Waste Management and like to be made aware of when there is an issue. But from the sounds of the above, that might not be so fruitful. Sounds like we all got a raw deal here!

Central and Walden·12 hr ago
    Called. Said I had to wait for the next pick up date as they were back through this morning. Umm my tote was out there. Guess they just picked the ones they wanted. Really. And where do I put my next 2 weeks of recycling? This is bogus!

Is it possible they saw something in your tote that would have caused them to reject the entire bin?

Nope we go by the book so this wouldn’t happen. They were totally off schedule as they came yesterday around 6:30 and then again this morning. They may not have seen it cause the cars parked on the road but when I called they just don’t care.

Cross Creek·8 hr ago
    My husband called today because the recycling company didn’t take the large box that was broken down and placed next to the tote. They said they’d come back for it today or tomorrow.

Village on The Park·6 hr ago
    Our garbage wasn’t picked up this past week either, even though everyone else’s was. I called waste management. They apologized and picked it up the next morning.

Depew·Edited 4 hr ago
    My recycling was not picked up last Monday per schedule... although they did pick up my tenant’s. I called Waste management on Wednesday and they said by the end of the day. So I called Friday and they said by the end of the day. So I called Monday and spoke to a supervisor... John... who said he was unhappy about this and it would be by 3:00 Monday afternoon. So I called this morning and John was busy and he would call me back. So I called late this afternoon and John gave me a guy named Sean’s number in Lancaster. I called him and they actually did pick up very late today. Just as an aside... the Waste Management offices are in Foxboro, Massachusetts. I let this guy know we know the reason they screw up so much is because we are DEFINITELY not Patriots fans and they know it.

Georgia L Schlager

My recycling was skipped once. That's extremely annoying because it's extremely full after two weeks, muck less a month. I resorted to filling my neighbor's trash and recycle bin full of recycables. I called the town as well, the referred me to waste management which went nowhere.

The town needs to take ownership of this. It should not be up to residents to pester Waste Management.

Anyone else noticed that it's not a waste management truck that's picking up the recycling? It appears they outsourced it even further, which means that we're getting boned even more than it originally appeared.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information