Thread: Town updating refuse, garbage and recycling code

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Town updating refuse, garbage and recycling code

At Monday evening’s town board meeting, the board will be voting on a resolution to amend Chapter 25 of the Town Code of the Town of Lancaster to update information relating to the Town’s new Refuse Collection, Disposal and Recyclable Materials Collection and Processing Service.

The language of the resolution is quite clear when it comes to defining town, resident and Waste Management’s obligations under the new contract; that is, with exception of bulk – IMHO. Residents should be aware of the following:

25-13-I: All major appliances or large household furnishings not capable of being placed in receptacles or bundles as provided herein may be placed at the curb-line or pavement-line only on the scheduled bulk pickup collection day for that area. Residents are allowed to place out a total of three (3) bulk items per month per dwelling/parcel during the second full week of each month. It shall be the sole responsibility of the owner to dismantle the appliance or furnishing so that it will not be a hazard to the public. Specifically, all refrigerator and freezer doors must be removed, and Freon lines must be decommissioned.

25-13-J: Bulk waste and large appliances are to be collected by the authorized collector and each private collector on days to be determined by the Town.

(1) Carpeting must be rolled in lengths of 4 feet or less, taped securely, and no wider than 18 inches.
    (2) Large items must be of size that can easily be handled by two employees.
    (3) Additional acceptable items include small furniture, bedding and mattresses, hot water tanks, and large appliances.

Comment: If hot water tanks are acceptable for bulk pickup, why not toilets, sinks, bathtubs, etc.? What household replacement materials that can, or cannot, be considered for bulk needs clarification. Residents are still unsure of what can go for bulk pickup as Waste Management was taking materials they should not have picked up under the last contract. Not sure? Contact the town or Waste Management.

(4) Bulk item collection does NOT include air conditioners, microwave-emitting equipment, microwave ovens, and regulated material covered by the New York State Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act, such as televisions and computers.

(5) Any item, such as a weed trimmer or small lawnmower, with an engine requiring oil and gas must have those liquids removed prior to collection.

25-16-D: No court proceedings shall be commenced against any person who violated the provisions of Subsection C hereinabove set forth for any violation occurring before June 1, 2019 in order to permit persons to come into compliance with this local law.

Comment: A household has until June 1st to come to compliance with the new town regulations or their garbage will not be picked up. So, if Waste Management is now accepting carts with open lids, or furnaces which are an item for disposal (so I have been told by the town) not be picked up by WM after June 1st, you have been made aware.

25-16-F. Replacement of Lost/Stolen/Damaged Carts. If a cart is reported lost/stolen/damaged, the resident will be responsible for a replacement fee of $60.

Comment: That is not quite what was forecast by the town early on. Paint identification on the inside of the lid. Record and save the unique identity numbers on the carts - better yet, take and save a picture of the cart identity numbers on your cell phone device. They are not as stable as we were led to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    At Monday evening’s town board meeting, the board will be voting on a resolution to amend Chapter 25 of the Town Code of the Town of Lancaster to update information relating to the Town’s new Refuse Collection, Disposal and Recyclable Materials Collection and Processing Service.

The language of the resolution is quite clear when it comes to defining town, resident and Waste Management’s obligations under the new contract; that is, with exception of bulk – IMHO. Residents should be aware of the following:

25-13-I: All major appliances or large household furnishings not capable of being placed in receptacles or bundles as provided herein may be placed at the curb-line or pavement-line only on the scheduled bulk pickup collection day for that area. Residents are allowed to place out a total of three (3) bulk items per month per dwelling/parcel during the second full week of each month. It shall be the sole responsibility of the owner to dismantle the appliance or furnishing so that it will not be a hazard to the public. Specifically, all refrigerator and freezer doors must be removed, and Freon lines must be decommissioned.

25-13-J: Bulk waste and large appliances are to be collected by the authorized collector and each private collector on days to be determined by the Town.

(1) Carpeting must be rolled in lengths of 4 feet or less, taped securely, and no wider than 18 inches.
    (2) Large items must be of size that can easily be handled by two employees.
    (3) Additional acceptable items include small furniture, bedding and mattresses, hot water tanks, and large appliances.

Comment: If hot water tanks are acceptable for bulk pickup, why not toilets, sinks, bathtubs, etc.? What household replacement materials that can, or cannot, be considered for bulk needs clarification. Residents are still unsure of what can go for bulk pickup as Waste Management was taking materials they should not have picked up under the last contract. Not sure? Contact the town or Waste Management.

(4) Bulk item collection does NOT include air conditioners, microwave-emitting equipment, microwave ovens, and regulated material covered by the New York State Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act, such as televisions and computers.

(5) Any item, such as a weed trimmer or small lawnmower, with an engine requiring oil and gas must have those liquids removed prior to collection.

25-16-D: No court proceedings shall be commenced against any person who violated the provisions of Subsection C hereinabove set forth for any violation occurring before June 1, 2019 in order to permit persons to come into compliance with this local law.

Comment: A household has until June 1st to come to compliance with the new town regulations or their garbage will not be picked up. So, if Waste Management is now accepting carts with open lids, or furnaces which are an item for disposal (so I have been told by the town) not be picked up by WM after June 1st, you have been made aware.

25-16-F. Replacement of Lost/Stolen/Damaged Carts. If a cart is reported lost/stolen/damaged, the resident will be responsible for a replacement fee of $60.

Comment: That is not quite what was forecast by the town early on. Paint identification on the inside of the lid. Record and save the unique identity numbers on the carts - better yet, take and save a picture of the cart identity numbers on your cell phone device. They are not as stable as we were led to believe.
    Thanks for posting Lee.

BTW, spring leaf collection is challenging, but the VOL appears to be accommodating residents. We are instructed to place the leaves in a pile on the village right-of-way property and NOT on the street.

Trucks are going street-by-street, and that collection process will be repeated for some time.

Last night the town board adopted a resolution to hold a public hearing on May 6th on amending Local Law 2019, Chapter 25: Refuse, Garbage and Recycling. Several residents questioned Supervisor Coleman for clarification on the proposed law regarding language and disposal cost and services provided.

Lost carts: Replacement cost will be $60 - $50 for cart cost, $10 delivery charge.

Bulk items eligible for monthly pickup not only include furniture, appliances and hot water tanks, but household items like sinks, toilets and furnaces. If not sure of what is eligible for bulk pickup, call town or Waste Management.

Grass: Place in trash cart. Purchase 40 lb. stickered bag for extra space. Purchase extra cart at $103 service cost per year. Store in contractor bags for monthly bulk pickup day.

Construction materials; alternatives for disposal:
    1. Sell. 2. Bagsters ($19.95) + disposal contract fee. 3. Contract disposal company for small dumpster use. Call office for guidelines.

Increased cost and less service

When questioned on why the service cost has increased while the amount of services provided have decreased Supervisor Coleman responded that this is the new ‘market standard’ that is taking place across our country. The town did not create this standard and worked long and hard to initiate a contract that was reasonable, affordable and fair.

Had the contract retained the same level of service as the expired contract, especially with weekly bulk pickup and 10-item-limit, the expense would be extreme. The cost to taxpayers would have been extreme and would also burden a budget with a 2% tax cap levy.

As the town pays by the town for garbage disposal it is only fair that people generating more garbage pay their fair share. Nothing is for free anymore.

Translation: "I waited far to long to actually negotiate. They knew that had me and I had to take whatever deal i was given. Wow, i suck at my job."

SPEAKING OF LAST NIGHT'S COUNCIL MEETING:

Can anyone shed light on a rather curious exchange during last night's session?

As I understand the situation, a Warner Road resident, a self-described Ruffino neighbor, perhaps friend, represented that Highway Superintendent Amatura mishandled a complaint by the resident in connection with the performance of Town workers on his property, attached by a "right-of-way."

I further understand that Councilman Ruffino made no attempt to directly address the resident's concerns.

(After all, it is election season: The perceived time when an aspiring Council Member/Supervisor candidate is in search of publicity.)

Could this have been another choreographed performance in silence, at the expense of another taxpayer: A manipulated sequel to the 2017 ZBA fandango?

Who would not be alarmed that this resident's concerns and public pleadings may have been gratuitously sacrificed on the alter of political fence sitting?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; April 16th, 2019 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    SPEAKING OF LAST NIGHT'S COUNCIL MEETING:

Can anyone shed light on a rather curious exchange during last night's session?

As I understand the situation, a Warner Road resident, a self-described Ruffino neighbor, perhaps friend, represented that Highway Superintendent Amatura mishandled a complaint by the resident in connection with the performance of Town workers on his property, attached by a "right-of-way."

I further understand that Councilman Ruffino made no attempt to directly address the resident's concerns.

(After all, it is election season: The perceived time when an aspiring Council Member/Supervisor candidate is in search of publicity.)

Could this have been another choreographed performance in silence, at the expense of another taxpayer: A manipulated sequel to the 2017 ZBA fandango?

Who would not be alarmed that this resident's concerns and public pleadings may have been gratuitously sacrificed on the alter of political fence sitting?
    Mark who did you get this insight/info from? I heard a totally different story.

Its seems there is no true set of service guidelines for the WM workers ! I put carpet out - cut and rolled as per their instructions. They didn't touch it but left a notice saying there was to much bulk waste. I talked to a rep who said within 24 hours "9 rolls" would be collected. They never showed up -
    I called them and ask them to explain - they just re-read the guidelines and suggested I take it to a "sorting center" ! I asked where the nearest center is and the lady said "Ask your Town reps if you/they have one - some do - some dont"
    So now I have to store these rolls for months putting out a few rolls at a time. The kicker is - two blocks away I have seen big chunks of carpet at the curb and the removed it ? ! ?
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Its seems there is no true set of service guidelines for the WM workers ! I put carpet out - cut and rolled as per their instructions. They didn't touch it but left a notice saying there was to much bulk waste. I talked to a rep who said within 24 hours "9 rolls" would be collected. They never showed up -
    I called them and ask them to explain - they just re-read the guidelines and suggested I take it to a "sorting center" ! I asked where the nearest center is and the lady said "Ask your Town reps if you/they have one - some do - some dont"
    So now I have to store these rolls for months putting out a few rolls at a time. The kicker is - two blocks away I have seen big chunks of carpet at the curb and the removed it ? ! ?
    You can dump off 3 rolls at the front of my house on Sun. Aug 11, my pickup day is Mon Aug 12

Georgia L Schlager

Thanks - wonder if there is a rule that says I could be sited for doing that ? If not - I might just try it !!!!!!!!
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Thanks - wonder if there is a rule that says I could be sited for doing that ? If not - I might just try it !!!!!!!!
    You will not be cited. I have encouraged my neighbors to bring bulk items to my property when they see there is nothing for pickup - trash as well if there is room in my cart.

Town Supervisor Coleman publicly stated she encouraged her neighbors to share services when the need arises.

As to the inconsistency of Waste Management pickup: The guidelines are there for the drivers to follow. Some do, some don't. I have seen some of my neighbors not getting bulk items picked up, others more than three items. Hopefully, the town code enforcement officers will be contacted and in turn contact Waste Management.

This past week the driver in my neighborhood collected a cart with trash inside and an old personal tote on top with the cart lid wide open.

Yes, please do.
    Supervisor Coleman has stated that she puts her tote out and tells her neighbors to put trash in that doesn't fit in their own.

Georgia L Schlager

I dump additional trash in my neighbor's tote all of the time. He fills 5% of it, but keeps the large tote in case he cleans and may fill it.

Thread Information