Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Town updating refuse, garbage and recycling code

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Kudos to Highway Superintendent Amatura and his department for this undertaking.
    Yes, that undertaking saved me from spending $103. this year for the 2-3 months that the grass grows like weeds.
    Hedge trimmings, I can fit in my tote, even if I have to hold a second bag of trimmings for the next week. It's doable.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Yes, that undertaking saved me from spending $103. this year for the 2-3 months that the grass grows like weeds.
    Hedge trimmings, I can fit in my tote, even if I have to hold a second bag of trimmings for the next week. It's doable.
    It is doable.

It is a service that does eliminate bagging grass clippings, their disposal and the additional cost associated with their removal. But, one size doesn't fit all.

It was mentioned at last night’s town board meeting that the service provided does not include the Village of Lancaster and is limited to residential properties – businesses not included. The grass clippings will be picked up within a few days – most likely within the same day and especially if the property owner contacts the Highway Department.

Bulk disposal remains an issue for residents who are strapped for storage space until their monthly pickup day – and only then for three items. The old contract was especially generous and forgiving. The new contract is as fair as the town could negotiate it. You pay for the garbage you generate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

It was mentioned at last night’s town board meeting that the service provided does not include the Village of Lancaster and is limited to residential properties – businesses not included. The grass clippings will be picked up within a few days – most likely within the same day and especially if the property owner contacts the Highway Department.

Bulk disposal remains an issue for residents who are strapped for storage space until their monthly pickup day – and only then for three items. The old contract was especially generous and forgiving. The new contract is as fair as the town could negotiate it. You pay for the garbage you generate.
    My clippings were put out yesterday and picked up today. It was also mentioned that commercial lawn mowing companies that are hired by residents have to get rid of their own grass.
    Maybe the village residents should go to the village board and request the DPW provide the same service. No harm in asking.

I don't call the highway department unless it's in an off season like late fall after a couple snowfalls, I may call to ask if they're still picking up leaves. But living on a main road, the highway boys see what we have out on their way to other streets.

Georgia L Schlager

I pay $302 in Cheektowaga for a no questions asked we’ll take anything any day service. How is privatizing better for Lancaster ? Seems like the service should be a lot less than a town provided sanitation service

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What part of Cheektowga do you live in? "take anything any day service"?

If I knew that I would stop dumping on Indian. (that's a joke)

The pickup is pretty liberal as it goes.

http://www.tocny.org/Departments/San...Recycling.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    I pay $302 in Cheektowaga for a no questions asked we’ll take anything any day service. How is privatizing better for Lancaster ? Seems like the service should be a lot less than a town provided sanitation service
    Cheektowaga trash pickup always sucked. They'd come barreling down my street making all sorts of racket and chucking the cans back to the curb. And they'd leave stuff they didn't feel like picking up all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post
    Cheektowaga trash pickup always sucked. They'd come barreling down my street making all sorts of racket and chucking the cans back to the curb. And they'd leave stuff they didn't feel like picking up all the time.

How long ago was this?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I can't complain about the service but then again I see we have less garbage than what I see other people throw out. Some of the complaints I have seen in the Cheektowaga group page on facebook seem a bit silly. MY TOTE WAS NOT exactly where I left it or some nonsense like that.

How long ago was this?
    Prior to totes, I moved out in July 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post
    Prior to totes, I moved out in July 2011.

Well it’s much better now, the totes are great.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I can't complain about the service but then again I see we have less garbage than what I see other people throw out. Some of the complaints I have seen in the Cheektowaga group page on facebook seem a bit silly. MY TOTE WAS NOT exactly where I left it or some nonsense like that.
    What do you pay a year for garbage disposal? Isn't your rate based on property assessment?

Well it’s much better now, the totes are great.
    Makes sense as it takes the guess work out of what they will and will not take and the automated truck eliminates the crew chucking cans all over the place.

Well Dan, Res did not respond as to what he pays for garbage services, but others did email me. It is evident that Cheektowaga residents are paying for garbage disposal services based on property assessment. Property owners are paying $300 and $350 per year (AND MORE) for the same services provided, regardless of amount of garbage generated.

Do you believe that is a fair way to establish disposal payment when there exists the likely possibility that someone who creates a small amount of garbage pays a higher rate than someone who pays half the rate but generates twice the amount of garbage?

Lancaster negotiated a contract with Waste Management based on rate fairness for the residents – you pay for the amount of garbage you create. Our unit rate is $168 per year. Like Cheektowaga, if one 95-gal cart is not enough you pay a fee of $103 that includes cart and trash disposal for the year.

I don’t know how many households will need a second cart, but everyone I have spoken to relate doing just fine with their 95-gal carts – and even the 65-gal carts that we were provided in our townhome community. The recycle carts appear to be large enough to handle the alternate week disposal.

Your bulk service is much more comprehensive than ours. But then again, at a base cost of $168 and allowed three bulk items pickups per month, this will suffice for a lot of residents – especially the elderly and empty nesters.

One size doesn’t fit all. You create it (garbage), you pay for it’s disposal. That seems to work just fine for a lot of Lancaster residents. Homeowners with properties valued at $400,000 are paying the same unit rate as homeowners with $150,000 valued properties. Anything over the determined norm in garbage created, they both pay extra. Seems fair IMHO.

It appears residents are getting mixed messages from the town and Waste Management on whether glass is acceptable for placement in the recycle cart.

Posted on Facebook:

I spoke with Waste Management and asked if we can recycle glass or if it should go in garbage bin. She said we can recycle glass as long as its cleaned out.

I just got off the phone with the town supervisor's office and they said they can't tell you NOT TO put it in the recycling bin and they can't tell you TO put it in the recycling bin. Clear as mud, right?? They did, however, say that ANY GLASS put into your recycling bin will contaminate the entire truck & therefore cost the town (and ultimately the taxpayers) more because they'll basically have to scrap the whole thing and it'll end up as straight garbage. Because of that little added tidbit, I'm continuing to follow what it shows on the recycling bin's lid and I'm NOT putting any glass in our recycling bin.

It was my understanding from information presented at town board meetings that glass was not to go into the recycle cart; any glass, washed or not. It says that on the recycling cart. Yet, if you read the newly adopted code, it states:

Chapter 25-11-A 3

RECYCLABLE MATERIALS:

A.
    Those materials specified by the Town for separate collection in accordance with recycling regulations. Such materials may include, but are not limited to:

(3)

GLASS FOOD AND BEVERAGE CONTAINERS
    New and used glass food and beverage containers which have been rinsed and are free of food contamination, including clear (flint), green and brown (amber) colored glass bottles and jars. Glass shall not include ceramics, plate glass, auto glass, Pyrex, leaded glass, mirrored glass or flat glass.

Clear as mud, indeed. The second poster was spot on. No glass into the recycle cart until the town and Waste Management get their act together.

From the Waste Management website -
    “If your local recycler doesn’t participate in glass recycling, it’s due to the market for that glass being very small or non-existent. However, if glass recycling is available, it’s important to keep in mind as you recycle that even small amounts of some materials mixed in can contaminate entire loads."

http://www.wm.com/thinkgreen/what-can-i-recycle.jsp

Georgia L Schlager

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information