ASSAULT AT NIAGARA WHEATFIELD SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL The High School's Obligation to protect students and Prevent Harm? I am not an educator but I could have anticipated the following: PART I: Jim was in his new house and very excited about PLAYING FOOTBALL AT HIS NEW HIGH SCHOOL in September, 2006. He often played both offense and defense on prior teams because, "Boy, could that kid run!!" That was...until he was bullied and assaulted and bullied and assaulted again. Jim was entering the eleventh grade with a good scholastic record. He was accepted on the football team and making new friends. Jim should have been in a picture similar to the one shown..But then, "BOB HAPPENED". At first, Bob just called Jim names. And then, Bob just took all of Jim's football equipment and hid it in various areas. And then, when the equipment was found in poor condition, Jim just quit football. And then, Jim just watched his back to avoid Bob. But then, one day after seeing Bob coming his way, Jim just hid in the bathroom, allowing time for Bob to pass. However, as Jim entered the hallway, not knowing that Bob had been LYING IN WAIT, Bob began to choke Jim. As Jim's breath was briefly taken away, Jim swung around and struck Bob across the nose causing it to bleed. Jim reported later that he was truly sorry and explained that when he couldn't breathe, "I needed air. It was like a reflex". All were relieved to learn that Bob's nose had not been damaged. Jim, not only surprised his family. He surprised himself. You see, he had always been taught that "A real man will walk away from a fight." and "You should always turn the other cheek". To date, Jim had never struck another person nor had he been in a fight. Because Bob's nose had bled, Jim is considered the "AGGRESSOR". He was suspended from school for one week. And because there is a police office in the school as seems to becoming quite common, Jim was charged with third degree assault per school policy. Even though Jim had no history of violent behavior-unlike Bob, Bob received no consequences, whatsoever. Happily attending school just waiting for Jim's return, Bob wasted no time "talking" about Jim's future. As would be expected, following Jim's suspension, both boys met with a school official to diffuse any further conflicts. When this official concluded that the problems between the boys, "was to be over", Jim, feeling pretty sure that Bob would continue to bother him, replied that, "It was not over". As a result of this comment, Bob told his parents that Jim had threatened him. They filed for an order of protection that was easily obtained. Jim's parents would normally have called the parents immediately in attempt to resolve further problems. However, after learning about certain "issues", they deemed it not to be appropriate. Jim was ordered not to speak or come in contact with "Bob-the victim". Also, he is not to have third party communications relating to "BOB, the victim".. While court proceedings continue Jim returned to attend school. The name calling by "Bob the victim" escalated into vulgar name "yelling" in the hallways that soon occurred with increased frequency. The school officials confirm that Jim has complied with all legal and social expectations and he should just report each event to the school officials and his family. The school officials did not take action. Jim was to just ignore "Bob the victim" and attempt to catch up with school work that was missed during the suspension. Jim is having a hard time concentrating, and his grades have fallen, and has to be coaxed to go to school. He rarely speaks, keeps to himself, and now, refuses to disclose much of anything that happens at school. In the meantime, "Bob the victim" is in his class smirking at Jim. Today, while Jim sat eating his lunch with classmates, he was stunned as he felt a sudden blow to the back of his head. Again, Jim, the aggressor"? had been attacked. Jim was "sucker-punched" in back of his head by "Bob the victim" in full view of several people.. Jim never saw it coming and just felt severe pain in his head. And so...Jim did not respond. He got up and just reported the incident to school officials. And just told his family that, "Bob will keep doing it because he can". "He did it once and nothing happened to him". "He continues to yell things and nothing happens to him"....What's to deter Bob? What will he do next week?.. Shoot him with a gun? WHAT MESSAGE HAS BEN SENT TO JIM? ..WHAT MESSAGE HAS BEEN SENT TO BOB? I guess, had I said such a thing 20 years ago, it would seem silly. High School should be a positive experience. It will shape much of our kids' future. It is where they secure a knowledge base that helps prepare them for college ,as well as, strengthen their self-esteem. Unlike when "Bob, the victim" received a nosebleed, The Administrator chose not to have Jim evaluated by a Health Care Professional (and the police officer was not notified) because Jim is just a "...good and strong boy." As a result of Jim not being "evaluated", the most Bob could be charged with is harassment. Jim tall, thin at 145..Bob, larger at 190. When Jim's family contacted the school principal, no incident or police report had been filed because... "We just need to investigate further!" I wonder if the school is familiar with the LOCO PARENTIS DOCTRINE? WHAT HAPPENED TO A HIGH SCHOOL'S OBLIGATION TO PROTECT STUDENTS AND PREVENT HARM? If you are anything like me, you probably think that there is "always more" to a story... It would help make sense of it all, wouldn't it? If the legal system is here to stay in our schools, it is my belief that the "rules" vs "law"need to be re-addressed with "reasonability" specific to the school environment. To label Jim as the Aggressor and Bob as the victim does not seem "just" to me. After all, we are talking about the safety of our children, bullying, assault, and arrests. Are we really at all surprised that tragedies are happening in our schools? (boys' names are fictional. Events interpreted by family member of Jim)