Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gill's replacement

Gill's replacement

Chief Gill had indicated that he enthusiastically would like Captain Marco Laurienzo to be his successor.
    On Monday night's board agenda, Captain Karn is being appointed Acting Police Chief effective today.

So, what do you think, will it be Laurienzo or Karn appointed as the new police chief?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Chief Gill had indicated that he enthusiastically would like Captain Marco Laurienzo to be his successor.
    On Monday night's board agenda, Captain Karn is being appointed Acting Police Chief effective today.

So, what do you think, will it be Laurienzo or Karn appointed as the new police chief?
    Considering the town board recently held a special Executive Meeting to discuss the hiring and considering there is a resolution Monday evening to appoint hire Karn on Monday, congratulations Captain Karn on the promotion. I hope you bring more openness and transparency to the department.

Speaking of transparency, there is also a resolution (#18) to appoint police officer Angela Greco to fill a vacancy in the position of School Resource Officer (SRO) in the Lancaster School District. The vacancy is the result of the town and school district agreeing to share costs in the hiring of a third SRO; the agreement was approved at the February 19th town board meeting.

I find it disturbing that the language of the proposed resolution is so vague in detail that it rivals past SRO hiring’s regarding:

• What rank does Officer Greco hold? Patrol, Detective, Lieutenant?

• What will be the total cost of this shared contract agreement – salary, benefits, perks?

• Where and how will this officer serve the school district? At the February 19th town board meeting it was declared that the service was yet to be defined. And we still don’t know the particulars, but this hiring is necessitated?

• What necessitated this hiring? I was an advocate for the hiring of the second SRO and requested such hiring come with the condition that annual incident benchmark reports were made to illustrate program effectiveness – no names and no particulars. It never happened. What data / information can be shared to validate this hiring?

• Why in his correspondence to the board did departing Chief Gil request the appointment have an effective (retro) hiring date of February 25th?

Hopefully, some of these questions will be asked of the board Monday night. The taxpayers have a right to know why and how their money is being spent. Transparency, I think not!

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Considering the town board recently held a special Executive Meeting to discuss the hiring and considering there is a resolution Monday evening to appoint hire Karn on Monday, congratulations Captain Karn on the promotion. I hope you bring more openness and transparency to the department.
    Is being appointed 'Acting chief' mean pending a chief exam?
    Now, the crap will start about the friends and family plan. Police chief and DCO
    It always happens

• What rank does Officer Greco hold? Patrol, Detective, Lieutenant?
    She has been called Officer Greco which makes me assume she's a patrol officer. Just my thinking
    • What will be the total cost of this shared contract agreement – salary, benefits, perks?

• Where and how will this officer serve the school district? At the February 19th town board meeting it was declared that the service was yet to be defined. And we still don’t know the particulars, but this hiring is necessitated?
    The school board approved a contract with the town for a 3rd SRO on February 11 with no details on their video.

EDIT -
    In the 2018 Adopted Town of Lancaster budget -
    The police fund was to receive $135,000 from the LCSD for the SRO program
    The appropriations for 2 SROs was to be $154,264

In the 2019 Adopted Town of Lancaster budget -
    The police fund was to receive $200,000 from the LCSD for the SRO program
    The appropriations for 3 SROs was to be $236,025
    Last edited by gorja; March 2nd, 2019 at 06:20 AM.

Georgia L Schlager

So it looks like the SROs get paid at the same rate as the detectives.

Georgia L Schlager

In the Buffalo News article, Supervisor Coleman stated that they would appoint an Acting or Permanent chief on Monday night.
    These people were suppose to have been on the Civil service list. So, why the 'Acting'?

One reason, I liked Laurienzo for the position is that he is a proponent for leasing vehicles.

Georgia L Schlager

In the Buffalo News article, Supervisor Coleman stated that they would appoint an Acting or Permanent chief on Monday night.
    These people were suppose to have been on the Civil service list. So, why the 'Acting'?
    Excellent observation as ‘acting’ is synonymous with fill-in, temporarily doing the duties of another, caretaker, etc.

One reason, I liked Laurienzo for the position is that he is a proponent for leasing vehicles.
    I agree with Laurienzo’s position on the town leasing vehicles for all town departments. We no longer have the technology, diagnostic equipment or staffing knowledge to repair vehicles.

I favor Karn. IMHO, he will be more transparent and innovative.

Gorga posted:

The school board approved a contract with the town for a 3rd SRO on February 11 with no details on their video.

EDIT -
    In the 2018 Adopted Town of Lancaster budget -
    The police fund was to receive $135,000 from the LCSD for the SRO program
    The appropriations for 2 SROs was to be $154,264

In the 2019 Adopted Town of Lancaster budget -
    The police fund was to receive $200,000 from the LCSD for the SRO program
    The appropriations for 3 SROs was to be $236,025
    You are assuming that the $236,025 are the collective salaries of the three SRO’S, and that they are all ranking Detectives making $78,675 each. I tend to agree.

However, I was speaking on total cost of the program to town taxpayers – town and school district combined costs. What is the added cost from benefits and perks? If only 33% of salary, that adds another $78,888 for a total of $314,913.

As the duties of this third SRO have not been defined, but could be distributed among the five district buildings, will Greco be provided a police car? Are the other two SRO’S provided vehicles? So, what are the total costs of providing another SRO?

Shouldn’t the public have more information than just: “Well, the program is working great, so let’s get another.” What is the justification for a third SRO??

Originally posted Lee Chowaniec:
    I favor Karn. IMHO, he will be more transparent and innovative.
    I don't know enough about either one of them to favor anyone.

If Karn's wife wasn't a DCO, I wouldn't have never known he was a captain
    That's because he was there when she came to a work session to ask for more hours for her staff and herself.

Like I said, Laurienzo brought someone in to speak about leasing vehicles and saving the taxpayers money
    That's the only innovation I've witnessed from either candidate.

Transparency - I haven't been a witness of that from either candidate.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    You are assuming that the $236,025 are the collective salaries of the three SRO’S, and that they are all ranking Detectives making $78,675 each. I tend to agree.

However, I was speaking on total cost of the program to town taxpayers – town and school district combined costs. What is the added cost from benefits and perks? If only 33% of salary, that adds another $78,888 for a total of $314,913.

As the duties of this third SRO have not been defined, but could be distributed among the five district buildings, will Greco be provided a police car? Are the other two SRO’S provided vehicles? So, what are the total costs of providing another SRO?

Shouldn’t the public have more information than just: “Well, the program is working great, so let’s get another.” What is the justification for a third SRO??
    I agree that there should be more information put out there. I was wondering if the new SRO was going to William Street.

Georgia L Schlager

This is from a Channel 2 news report from September.
    Other districts continue longstanding partnerships with police.

It's likely the Lancaster Central School District was first to have armed police protection, which started back in 2000. Now, there are officers at the high school and middle school. This coming January, the district will add a third SRO to split time between the elementary schools.
    https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/ed...e/71-591207169

Georgia L Schlager

This is from a Channel 2 news report from September.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/ed...e/71-591207169
    There is a lot of information in media, school district and other outlets concerning new and old SRO programs, how they are funded and grants available (usually $40,000 - $50,000) to start a program in a district that has no SRO program. One size does not fit all.

It is Lancaster that I am concerned about – where my children and grandchild went to the Lancaster Central School District (LCSD) from elementary through High School.

I was a strong advocate for the hiring of the second SRO and would most likely support the hiring of a third; having at least some knowledge of the reason for the hiring, the total cost of the hiring after grants are applied, and a benchmark reporting system that results in transparency, viability and accountability.

A young person told me the other day that he was in favor of having ten SRO’s. And you have no problem with that, I said, because you are not a homeowner and pay no taxes to make that happen.

LCSD has seven schools. There is an SRO in both the High School and Middle Schools. According to the media and other opinions, the new hire will split his time at the five elementary schools. I agree that he should be positioned at the William Street School which covers grades 4-6.

To do anything more will require the economic genius of superstar Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Perhaps we can tap into that $3 billion reserve.

Well Gorga, you were right. Captain Karn was appointed 'acting chief' until such time the board comes to a decision on hiring one of the three interested individuals applying for the position.

Supervisor Coleman did not say who the three candidates are but it is obvious two are Captains Laurienzo and Karn. I still favor Karn and believe he will be the next Lancaster Police Chief.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Well Gorga, you were right. Captain Karn was appointed 'acting chief' until such time the board comes to a decision on hiring one of the three interested individuals applying for the position.

Supervisor Coleman did not say who the three candidates are but it is obvious two are Captains Laurienzo and Karn. I still favor Karn and believe he will be the next Lancaster Police Chief.
    Interesting -
    I did not attend last night's meeting. But this morning, I saw this posted on the Lancaster Police Benevolent Association Facebook page

**Chief of Police & School Resource Officer Promotions**
    We are proud to announce the promotions of Captain William Karn to Chief of Police and Officer Angela Greco to School Resource Officer (SRO).
    Angela has been a Patrol Officer with Lancaster Police for 14 years, a Field Training Officer (FTO), and is a Certified Instructor within the department. She is the first female SRO in Lancaster and will be predominately posted at William Street School overseeing K-6th grade. Congratulations Angela we know you will excel as an SRO and have much to offer the school district.
    Bill is a graduate of the University of Buffalo and the University at Buffalo Law School. He has 23 years of service with the Lancaster Police Department. Bill has previously served as a Field Training Officer (FTO), a member of this departments Emergency Response Team (ERT) and is a Police Defensive Tactics Instructor with a Black Belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Bill was a Patrol Lieutenant for 6 years and most recently has served as Captain of the Detective Bureau for the past 6 years. Congratulations Bill you have been an active member of this department for years and we are all looking forward to where the future will take us through your leadership, knowledge and guidance.
    "A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the equality of his actions and the integrity of his intent." --Douglas MacArthur
    When I read that, I assumed the chief appointment wasn't an 'Acting' position.
    I'm going to listen to the town recording

Georgia L Schlager

Interesting -
    I did not attend last night's meeting. But this morning, I saw this posted on the Lancaster Police Benevolent Association Facebook page

When I read that, I assumed the chief appointment wasn't an 'Acting' position.
    I'm going to listen to the town recording

Interesting, eh? You can't always believe what you hear or read. Last night Supervisor Coleman stated that they were going into executive session and 'no decision' would be made on the matter.

Hope you didn't miss the meeting because you were ill. I really appreciate listening to your recordings of the pre-meeting work sessions. Over the years I spent attending those work sessions, I found them of great importance in getting information that the public never receives at the regular meeting that follows.

Do you think the delay had to do with the attendance of all board members?
    The first executive session after the February 19th board meeting - Ruffino and Walter were absent.
    The Special board meeting on February 27th, Ruffino was absent and Walter left early

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information