Thread: Bruso seeking Conservative nod

Bruso seeking Conservative nod

These days, few Erie County Democrats are attracted to Conservative line

By Robert J. McCarthy|Published
    When Legislator John Bruso stopped by Conservative Chairman Ralph C. Lorigo’s office a few days ago, it marked a rare occurrence in the recent politics of Erie County.
    These days, few Democrats seek out Lorigo for the Conservative line, even if that line represents New York’s top minor party. In a time when liberal Democrats rule much of county and state government, conservatism hardly ranks as the Democratic rage.
    But the door is cracking open just a bit at this early stage of election season, with at least three Democratic candidates for County Legislature seeking Conservative support.
    It’s not like 20 years ago when Conservatives granted as much as 45 percent of their endorsements to Democrats. But now Lorigo believes any Democrats at his door represents some acknowledgement that the minor party line often provides the winning difference in close elections.
    “They finally can read the numbers,” he said.
    For more - https://buffalonews.com/2019/02/22/t...ervative-line/

Georgia L Schlager

In his conversations with Mr. Loreigo, I wonder how Mr. Bruso harmonized his conservative credentials with his words in this "Amherst Times" article...

"As a conservative Democrat I am personally offended that the office of the Vice President is being used to promote and prop up a local official who is widely known to be corrupt and unethical...”

https://amhersttimes.com/pence-leave...ec-legislator/
    ...or with these words about Monica Wallace, a co-sponsor of "The Reproductive Health Act.."

John Bruso for Erie County Legislator
    November 6, 2017 ·
    Looking forward to working alongside Assemblymember Monica Wallace, one of our forward thinking leaders that serves our community with great integrity. Assemblymember Wallace has been in support of my candidacy since day one. We believe that “good people do good things.”
    #VoteBrusoNov7th

Bruso seems to have chosen to carry water for the Poloncarz-Cuomo ult-Left agenda, and he seeks the endorsement of the County Conservatives?

Seriously?

I think that the glossary of maladies for use by the American Psychiatric Association just may need to be extended to include a term for "Political Schizophrenia."

I just wonder if what we see in Lancaster, may be suggestive of a "Walk-Away" movement by some local Democrats?

Not sayin', just askin'.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 22nd, 2019 at 09:00 AM.

Frankly, I think Bruso made a valid point about Pence's odd and unseemly support of Morton. It's not all about what letter is next to your name, nor should it be. Blind support for any one individual or affiliation is unhealthy in a democracy. The facts are Morton is (was?) an investment professional, someone who is required to (and should be) held to a high ethical standard. He misused his client’s funds and got busted for it. I don't want to hear about what his intent was or it was just a misunderstanding, blah, blah. He should know, understand, and follow the rules of the industry in which he made his livelihood, plain and simple. By doing what he did, he lost a substantial amount of credibility and trust, two things paramount in holding elected office. As such, he should never be in an elected position again.

Ethics people, ethics. It needs to be brought back and put front and center in today's discourse - and it needs to be applied to ALL parties and affiliations.

Quote Originally Posted by chadjohnson400 View Post
    Frankly, I think Bruso made a valid point about Pence's odd and unseemly support of Morton. It's not all about what letter is next to your name, nor should it be. Blind support for any one individual or affiliation is unhealthy in a democracy. The facts are Morton is (was?) an investment professional, someone who is required to (and should be) held to a high ethical standard. He misused his client’s funds and got busted for it. I don't want to hear about what his intent was or it was just a misunderstanding, blah, blah. He should know, understand, and follow the rules of the industry in which he made his livelihood, plain and simple. By doing what he did, he lost a substantial amount of credibility and trust, two things paramount in holding elected office. As such, he should never be in an elected position again.

Ethics people, ethics. It needs to be brought back and put front and center in today's discourse - and it needs to be applied to ALL parties and affiliations.
    My post was not whether Vice President Pence or Morton were, or are, moral.

My post merely speculated as to how Bruso may have explained those comments regarding Pence to Mr. Loreigo when they met to discuss Bruso's request for the Conservative Party's endorsement, that's all.

But, hey, your point is well taken.

Just a question:

To which charity did Bruso give the money Dirschberger donated to his campaign? I understand that he did say he donated it, and I am just curious to which chariety that money was given.

Perhaps he can produce verification of such a donation?

And, if I may, how ethical is it for someone to proclaim that they are a "Conservative Democrat," yet vote like an ultra-Leftee in a number of circumstances, and in 2017, accept the support of someone who apparently supported, and who would go on to co-sponsor, "The Reproductive Health Act?"

Is Bruso prepared to condemn that co-sponsor's actions and its tenure publicly? After all, Bruso did say he is a "Conservative Democrat."

If you were a "Conservative Democrat," and you voted for Bruso, absent such a rebuke, would you not feel somewhat misled, if not deceived?

Just askin'.

BTW,

IMHO, if one has an ultra-Left political agenda, why not be transparent about it?

Why mislead people with a "Conservative" embrace which is in reality a Judas kiss?

Like you said...

Ethics people, ethics.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 23rd, 2019 at 03:51 PM.

Two Lancaster residents were arrested Monday and charged with promoting gambling and possession of gambling records.

Paul Rath, 31, of 5440 Broadway and Ronald Giza, 33, of 61 Lombardy St. were arraigned before Lancaster Village Justice Ann Detzler and released on their own recognizance.

The arrests followed a lengthy investigation by Town and Village of Lancaster police and Lt. Vance Scioli of the Village of Depew police. Police accused Rath of running a bookmaking operation from his apartment over the Lancaster Boys & Girls Club on Broadway. According to police, gambling records and $2,500 in cash were seized from Rath's apartment in a raid last week.
    https://buffalonews.com/1992/03/16/2...ting-gambling/

It's not all about what letter is next to your name, nor should it be. Blind support for any one individual or affiliation is unhealthy in a democracy...I don't want to hear about what his intent was or it was just a misunderstanding, blah, blah. .. By doing what he did, he lost a substantial amount of credibility and trust, two things paramount in holding elected office. As such, he should never be in an elected position again.
    Indeed!

You said that so well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 23rd, 2019 at 08:32 PM.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

It's not applied to all parties or candidates so why does it matter any longer? It's about control of elected seats in Erie County. Why not just work on wining seats. Look at the people involved in other political parties and they are still being promoted and supported.

I sincerely hope there is such a thing as a Democrat-Conservative office holder – especially in New York State.

As for ethical behavior in New York politics, spare me.

What I long to see, on a regular basis, in Lancaster politics is a town board with members who vote ‘no’ to a resolution the are not in favor of – and even have the courage to give reason why they cast their opposing vote.

We currently have a town board comprised of two (2) Democrats, a Conservative who was endorsed and won running on the Democrat ticket, a ‘blank’ who was also endorsed and won on the Democrat ticket, and a lone Republican.

The one democrat (Supervisor) is a big spender; crafting a budget this year that increased spending by 4.74%. The second a council member who by far cast the most ‘no’ votes against some of the resolutions concerning spending sponsored by the Supervisor – and gave reasons why. Admiral, but was this opposition the result of becoming a fiscal watch-dog or knowing because it was a throw-away vote of no consequence or to garner support for election as Supervisor in November.

Even though the other three council members were not registered democrats they too often supported the Democratic Supervisor and/or never voiced an opposing opinion; rather, on rare occasions, three of them working behind the scenes would advise the Supervisor that she did not have the majority votes for resolution approval and the resolution was transformed for final approval. So much for values, ethics and transparency when winning candidates take office.

This election year, the Republican Party’s missive under the leadership of newly elected Chair Greg Sojka is listening to public input, transparency, ethics, etc. Under the return of Democratic Chair Terry McCracken … well, we kind of know what to expect from past experiences.

However, past experiences are being supplanted. The Democratic Party chose not to endorse incumbent Town Clerk Diane Terranova – the Republican and Conservative Parties did endorse Terranova, finding her deserving of being re-elected. Terranova most likely will primary the Democrat endorsed candidate and is considered the favorite to get the Democrat line as well.

In addition, the Dems have endorsed a Republican and the Reps a Democrat and a Conservative – who some believe was not acting more like a conservative when sitting on the town board the past four years.

Except for one endorsed candidate, I am quite familiar with the history of the remaining candidates. This is an exceptional year and past candidate histories will not define my determination of best candidate for the town at this time. It will be based on what each candidate (and the Party) see as issues and solutions and what direction they believe is best pursued in the interests of the current and future community. Then again, I am a 'blank' and don't give a rat's ass about political party allegiance.

Apparently the EC GOP and local Conservative committees don't believe that Bruso meets the Democrat-Conservative criteria.
    They've already started their negative campaigning.

Georgia L Schlager

What is "negative" about those posted words?

The "No" on tax cuts and the "Yes" on the Poloncarz pay raise are true.

IMHO, together with Bruso's 2017 self-characterization as a "Conservative Democrat," those votes strongly support the assertion that "John Bruso answers to Liberal Mark Poloncarz."

In fact, I think those words could have, justifiably, been much more hard-hitting. Those comments, in my opinion, could have suggested that Bruso, in the 2017 world of communicated political philosophy, deceived the 8th District's voters , and still met truthful standards.

"Honesty...Transparency...?" Hmmm?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 27th, 2019 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    What is "negative" about those posted words?

The "No" on tax cuts and the "Yes" on the Poloncarz pay raise are true.

IMHO, together with Bruso's 2017 self-characterization as a "Conservative Democrat," those votes strongly support the assertion that "John Bruso answers to Liberal Mark Poloncarz."

In fact, I think those words could have, justifiably, been much more hard-hitting. Those comments, in my opinion, could have suggested that Bruso, in the 2017 world of communicated political philosophy, deceived the 8th District's voters , and still met truthful standards.

"Honesty...Transparency...?" Hmmm?
    Bruso truly cares about our community. I felt the same way about Morton last time around and felt bad when he lost
    In my mind, he does value Lancaster First.

It is nice to see that so far, only the Dems are taking the high road

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Bruso truly cares about our community. I felt the same way about Morton last time around and felt bad when he lost

How so?

If I am remembering correctly, did not Poloncarz suggest that the Erie County community is racist in connection with that Galeria Mall riot a month or so ago?

Seems pretty mean-spirited to me.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 27th, 2019 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post

I agree that both Morton and Bruso have served the Lancaster community well.

The Dems may be publicly silent for now but taking the high road behind the scenes is not quite true. And, it appears they have not let the dogs out yet to do the dirty work.

BTW – the question you asked of Todaro’s lineage was not becoming of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    I agree that both Morton and Bruso have served the Lancaster community well.

The Dems may be publicly silent for now but taking the high road behind the scenes is not quite true. And, it appears they have not let the dogs out yet to do the dirty work.

BTW – the question you asked of Todaro’s lineage was not becoming of you.
    You have to ask questions to get answers. I was never aware of that crime family prior to yesterday and also was not aware that they owned La Nova's pizza.
    So, it was a question I needed to ask.

Georgia L Schlager

CANDIDATE JOHN BRUSO, 2017:

"I am running for this legislative seat to bring honesty and transparency back to our district."

https://amhersttimes.com/pence-leave...ec-legislator/

LEGISLATOR JOHN BRUSO, FEBRUARY, 2019:

PRESS RELEASE

RE: ​Buffalo Niagara Coalition for Open Government Denied the Opportunity to Speak at Erie County Legislature On Monday morning February 25th, Paul W. Wolf, contacted Legislator John Bruso by email requesting the opportunity to speak at the Energy & Environment Committee meeting scheduled for the afternoon of Thursday February 28th.

As President of the Buffalo Niagara Coalition for Open Government, Mr. Wolf wanted to speak about the appointment of an Erie County Water Authority Commissioner, which was on the meeting agenda. Legislator Bruso did not respond to Mr. Wolf’s email. At the Committee meeting, Mr. Wolf approached Mr. Bruso and asked if it would be possible to speak during the meeting. Mr. Bruso’s response was “no”.

Providing the public an opportunity to speak at Erie County Legislature meetings is an issue that needs to be addressed.

The Niagara County Legislature allows members of the public to speak at their full legislature meetings, but the Erie County Legislature does not.

Paul W. Wolf, Esq.
    President
    Buffalo Niagara Coalition For Open Government
    You are right Chad...

Quote Originally Posted by chadjohnson400

Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 2nd, 2019 at 10:13 AM.

Thread Information