Thread: New York City mayor vows health care for all — including undocumented immigrants

Tony Fracasso - Admin

New York City mayor vows health care for all — including undocumented immigrants

New York City mayor vows health care for all — including undocumented immigrants

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) on Tuesday issued a bold guarantee of affordable health care for every resident, thrusting the nation’s largest city to the forefront of debates over universal health coverage and immigrant rights.
    The promise is aimed at 600,000 New Yorkers who lack insurance because they can’t afford it, believe they don’t need it, or can’t get it because they are in the country illegally.

The announcement makes New York the second U.S. city to attempt to provide health care to everyone living there, coming about a dozen years after San Francisco pioneered the idea with a more limited promise. And as the Trump administration erodes the Affordable Care Act, the mayor’s promise is the most ambitious of a spate of Democratic efforts to protect and expand the law’s insurance gains and consumer protections at the local and state level.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...o16YcgsUNJ5Ffw

How does one supply healthcare for 600,000 people with just $100,000,000 dollars? That is like $166 per person per year?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...o16YcgsUNJ5Ffw

How does one supply healthcare for 600,000 people with just $100,000,000 dollars? That is like $166 per person per year?

by your Republican logic, someone with an illness would spread it round, costing the community even more!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    by your Republican logic, someone with an illness would spread it round, costing the community even more!
    My point went right over your head.

Answer the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    For some diseases you’re absolutely right. That’s why communities should be using their quarantine powers when appropriate

I know I'll be SOOO sorry I did this, but this thread was bothering me. Specifically, the lack of facts.

The "Fiscal Policy Institute" estimates that there were 535,000 undocumented immigrants in NYC in 2007. Since that's an actual fact, let's go with that, keeping in mind that it is out of date. (From Wikipedia, oddly enough.) The NYC Mayor uses a figure of 600,000. Let us assume that he has access to better (more current) data that I do.

"The promise is aimed at 600,000 New Yorkers who lack insurance because they can’t afford it, believe they don’t need it, or can’t get it because they are in the country illegally."

Ok, if there are "about" 535,000 undocumented immigrants in NYC, there are only 65,000 people in NYC who don't believe they need health insurance? Or can't get it?

That to me seems a very low figure.

I know, I'm screwing with people by using facts. I'm sorry. Go about your usual nonsense and ignore this.
    Even as a great rock is not shaken by the wind, the wise man is not shaken by praise or by blame.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    In another article either in the nypost they stated that about 300,000 of the 600,000 were undocumented. Caught that Sunday.

if there are "about" 535,000 undocumented immigrants in NYC, there are only 65,000 people in NYC who don't believe they need health insurance? Or can't get it?
    How did you come up with the 65,000 figure out of the 535,000

I like when you post your opinion. You are one of the more sensible people who have posted over the years.

Some of the comments on the above article are interesting.

If anyone wants to get out of NYC and move to Lancaster County Pennsylvania where life is good and taxes are low and schools are great and a traffic Jam is 3 Horse and Buggies in front of you and we don’t tax Retirement Accounts - Then I’m a Realtor here so Give me a call (717) 725 2698 You’d be amazed at what you can buy for $300K+. Even at $200K+ you’d be surprised at the beautiful homes you can buy here! kathleenoconnell.homesale.com

If you look at the numbers, it costs $5,000-7,000 per person on average to provide health care to a population in the U.S. De Blasio's $100 million will provide health care to approximately 16,000 people, far fewer if it is spent only on those who are ill. Yet according to the article 600,000 New Yorkers are without health insurance.

This is a classic example of a politician making a big announcement for political purposes without the funding to carry through on his promises.
    Maybe not a bad idea

The hospitals where I live took portions of their vast parking lots and built Urgent Care facilities right on them. The ER funnels everyone with a tummy ache and a funny feeling elbow over to those. It's really made a difference in not only the time it takes to be seen but the quality of care received in both the ER and the Urgent Care place.
    Making outrageous claims like 'free medical care for illegals' is just to stir the pot and get people riled up. Everyone, even illegal immigrants, know that nothing in this world is free - especially in the United States of For-Profit Healthcare.
    And what I wondered

"The promise is aimed at 600,000 New Yorkers who lack insurance..."

"De Blasio estimated that the city would spend about $100 million annually once the program is fully operating"

So... $170 per person for health care? Can't tell who is dumb here - does De Blasio have horrible math skills, or are the people of NYC so stupid that they don't understand the impossibility of that cost figure?

Thread Information