Thread: I don't see an issue - Opponents take aim at Poloncarz's active social media presence

Tony Fracasso - Admin

I don't see an issue - Opponents take aim at Poloncarz's active social media presence

Opponents take aim at Poloncarz's active social media presence

As Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz enters an election year, his opponents are raising questions about his pervasive social media presence and whether more stringent standards should be put in place to govern elected county officials' use of social media.

Last month, his opponents in the Erie County Legislature called attention to a legal filing against the county executive that alleged "continuous false and defamatory statements" by Poloncarz against two people who had ownership interests in a local nursing home. The lawmakers argued that the County Attorney's Office should not have to defend against social media remarks on his personal accounts.
    https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/14/o...box=1547564682

I don't an issue with him using social media at all. I do have an issue if we can be sued over anything that he posts on "his" social media accounts. If that does happen the county should not fund his defense. That's all on him.

"I know what this is," Poloncarz said. "They’re trying to shut me up from using my social media to communicate during an election year. It’s silly."
    I say let him have at it. If someone decides to sue him he foots the entire bill. There is nothing stopping anyone running against him from having a social media account but the same rules will follow. Say something stupid don't expect the tax payer to foot the bill.

Breezy? What do you think?

OMG, he has been Tweeting frequently for years. Election year or no election year. He does keep the public apprised of what's going on whether we like it or not.
    At least he communicates

Georgia L Schlager

I say let him have at it. If someone decides to sue him he foots the entire bill.
    Agreed
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Tell you what...since you guys like it so much you can split the differential increase in my property taxes raised to defend him and pay defamation judgments against him. Deal? Why should my taxes pay to defend lawsuits against him when he’s sued for defamation when he defames as a private citizen on his private media account and not as county executive on county social media.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I want him to cover the full cost of any lawsuit against him if he uses his personal account. That's how it should be.

Thread Information