Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does Park Play equipment purchasing work?

Tony Fracasso - Admin

How does Park Play equipment purchasing work?

Our Park Department

http://www.tocny.org/Departments/Fac...gsGrounds.aspx

A woman on facebook posted this

Do any Cheektowaga parks have anything like this? If not we should!

I'm pretty sure what she is referring to is this

https://www.rehabmart.com/product/wh...yk-huNqHUwLOPE

These are $2000 a pop for a complete unit

I see there are 4 parks. I wonder if people in general would be happy if one park had a set or if all 4 parks would have to have one.

Kelly Park
    Knob Hill Park
    Raymond Park
    Dingens Park

If something like that was given to the town could it be placed in one of the parks?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Our Park Department

http://www.tocny.org/Departments/Fac...gsGrounds.aspx

A woman on facebook posted this

Do any Cheektowaga parks have anything like this? If not we should!

I'm pretty sure what she is referring to is this

https://www.rehabmart.com/product/wh...yk-huNqHUwLOPE

These are $2000 a pop for a complete unit

I see there are 4 parks. I wonder if people in general would be happy if one park had a set or if all 4 parks would have to have one.

Kelly Park
    Knob Hill Park
    Raymond Park
    Dingens Park

If something like that was given to the town could it be placed in one of the parks?

Actually there’s more than 10 parks in town

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    I think the number of parks is actually 17 with some of them being land lock so no can use them, they are many acres in size and still get mowed costing a good chunk of change every year plus the wear and tear on equipment.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Eye View Post
    I think the number of parks is actually 17 with some of them being land lock so no can use them, they are many acres in size and still get mowed costing a good chunk of change every year plus the wear and tear on equipment.
    I was working from what I saw on the website. Should those 4 really be classified as playgrounds versus parks?

If no one can use the parks why are they mowed?

Are the parks cared for by part time employees, full time employees or do we hire a mowing/landscaping service?

Parks for the most part parks are relatively cheap compared to the hockey rink and other higher end entertainment venues.

Side note

Did you guys know we have a symphony orchestra?

http://www.cheektowagasymphony.com/

The Cheektowaga Community Symphony Orchestra 2018-19 season is made possible in part by funding from the Town of Cheektowaga, Diane Benczkowski, Supervisor, & the County of Erie, New York, Mark Poloncarz, Supervisor
    Dan, can you look up how much the town budgets for this? I think items like this are good for kids. I'm not knocking it at all.

One thing I don't think is necessary is elected officials names listed as they are above unless they personally contributed funds towards the program. I don't like seeing elected officials names on any "government" signs except on their office door or building directory listing. I remember seeing Chris Collins names on some road signs while construction was being done on a county road. I didn't agree with that either. Same goes for electronic recycling days "brought to you by.....fill in the blank". Unless they are funding the event with their own money it shouldn't be treated as a political "advertising" event.

I think something like this is more appropriate unless as I said the people listed donated their own funds.

The Cheektowaga Community Symphony Orchestra 2018-19 season is made possible in part by funding from the home & business owners of the Town of Cheektowaga & County of Erie.
    Unless we can do something like this. On each property tax bill lists each board member's name and party affiliation who voted to spend more of our money each year. This way each property owner can clearly see who increased their cost of living in town.

Now I'm going to go for my old man walk at Losson.

In 2016 budget it was $18,000 for symphony

The reason only 4 parks were shown on the site was they were 4 out of 17 that got some upgrades and they were just showcasing those

I was working from what I saw on the website. Should those 4 really be classified as playgrounds versus parks?

If no one can use the parks why are they mowed?

Are the parks cared for by part time employees, full time employees or do we hire a mowing/landscaping service?

Parks for the most part parks are relatively cheap compared to the hockey rink and other higher end entertainment venues.

Side note

Did you guys know we have a symphony orchestra?

http://www.cheektowagasymphony.com/

Dan, can you look up how much the town budgets for this? I think items like this are good for kids. I'm not knocking it at all.

One thing I don't think is necessary is elected officials names listed as they are above unless they personally contributed funds towards the program. I don't like seeing elected officials names on any "government" signs except on their office door or building directory listing. I remember seeing Chris Collins names on some road signs while construction was being done on a county road. I didn't agree with that either. Same goes for electronic recycling days "brought to you by.....fill in the blank". Unless they are funding the event with their own money it shouldn't be treated as a political "advertising" event.

I think something like this is more appropriate unless as I said the people listed donated their own funds.

Unless we can do something like this. On each property tax bill lists each board member's name and party affiliation who voted to spend more of our money each year. This way each property owner can clearly see who increased their cost of living in town.

Now I'm going to go for my old man walk at Losson.
    correction, 19 parks.

Once you label a piece of property a park, you might need a act of congress to get it off the park list.

The parks are not all equal, of the 19 in Cheektowaga some are just wasted space that has to be maintained because it was designated a park. Yeagar park is one at 6+ land locked acres. Eiffel Park is another 5.6 acre with no access to the public.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The ADA Wheelchair Swing is ADA-compliant playground equipment designed specifically for wheelchair users. Durably constructed for decades of use, the galvanized steel frame is sturdy and dependable. Designed for hours of fun, the ADA Wheelchair Swing includes installation instructions, swings, and chains. Choose from two models: Model 581-483 includes one (1) wheelchair swing platform and one (1) JennSwing Special Needs Pediatric Swing or choose Model 581-482 which includes two (2) wheelchair swing platforms. Standard frame is unpainted galvanized steel with red yokes and black wheelchair platform as seen above. If desired, you make choose an alternate yoke color. Adult supervision always recommended when the swing is in use.

The Swingset comes with standard galvanized steel. If a color (shown below) is wanted, then RehabMart.com's Quotes Department needs to be contacted to get a cost estimate.
    Product Benefits:

Designed specifically to accommodate wheelchair users.
    Provides hours of fun dependable fun for children of all ages.
    Galvanized steel frame is sturdy and long-lasting.
    Allows users with special needs to experience the same outdoor play.
    Exceptional safety and accessibility is guaranteed by the ADA.

https://www.rehabmart.com/product/ad...ing-36449.html

Seems to be about $2,540.85 + $750 for shipping.

I would have to read up but something like this could be used to set the unit into the ground

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Secure-S...-206497549-_-N

Symphony Was still at $18,000 in the 2018 budget

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Eye View Post
    Symphony Was still at $18,000 in the 2018 budget
    Currently, the orchestra rehearses weekly at the Cheektowaga Senior Citizen Center. The ensemble presents six concerts a season, at varying locations including Villa Maria College, St. Andrew's Roman Catholic Church, St. Philip the Apostle Roman Catholic Church, the Cheektowaga Senior Citizen Center, and Cheektowaga Town Park.

For over 50 years, the Cheektowaga Community Symphony Orchestra has continuously worked to implement its goals and objectives by providing enriching cultural programs to its community. With your support, the orchestra plans to continue bringing quality music to Western New York for many years to come.
    Six concerts at $18k is about $3000 a concert.

I wonder how many people attend each event.

Six concerts at $18k is about $3000 a concert.

I wonder how many people attend each event.
    Still cheaper then what is budgeted to keep 3 pools open and staffed for 4weeks. (approx $250,000)

The town can close one to save money, but they keep catering to a few complainers. instead of doing what is best for the 10's of thousands of tax payers.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Well you know and I know what the elephant in the room is and it's not the pools or the town band.

Either way you look at it you have to review all spending. If we found out 100 people attend each concert and find out 1/2 of those are musician's family members is it really worth budgeting $18k. I even think music is good for kids but then again don't think money should be spent foolishly. I'm not knocking it either, just saying.

I'm sure the town board review items like attendence, unique users and so forth before renewing budget items. That would be in our best interest.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I see Monica chimed in.

I agree! I am seeking state funding to get an accessible swing in Cheektowaga. I’ve been working with the Supervisor’s office to find the right location. We will keep you posted when things are finalized.
    Another woman

I'm sure there is grant money for these too
    Why do people think grants are the way to go. If the town was financially ran more efficiently with a prick controlling how our money is spent we could run the town for less. We could easily spend $3000 for play ground equipment for handicap kids. This is a drop in the bucket in the scheme of the budget.

My thought was to get a few people to do a gofundme and try to raise the money to purchase one set. Pick the park that could get the most use out of it. Then let the gofundme run to see if a second could be purchased.

Dan repeat once more what we spend per year on interest for some bonded items.

I see Monica chimed in.

Another woman

Why do people think grants are the way to go. If the town was financially ran more efficiently with a prick controlling how our money is spent we could run the town for less. We could easily spend $3000 for play ground equipment for handicap kids. This is a drop in the bucket in the scheme of the budget.

My thought was to get a few people to do a gofundme and try to raise the money to purchase one set. Pick the park that could get the most use out of it. Then let the gofundme run to see if a second could be purchased.

Dan repeat once more what we spend per year on interest for some bonded items.
    About $2mil per yr in interest. That could buy a lot of stuff, hell the CBAC recommended $2.5mil in cuts for the 2019.
    That was an attempt to offset the Union pay raises and other increases. SO the town cuts to offset pay increases. In other words the majority of tax payers will get less from the town while the Union members and some other town employees will get more. Time for a PAY FREEZE!!!
    Last edited by Electric Eye; January 7th, 2019 at 06:12 PM.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I've been doing some research.

Trying out a wheelchair accessible playground

IP15 iSwing

This unit has been designed for those who cannot easily move out of their wheelchair. It is an essential part of our range as everyone has the right to enjoy the freeing sensation that swinging brings.

The rope pull included within the design allows those with upper body mobility to be able to swing themselves independently.

http://www.inclusiveplay.com/product/iswing/

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    This is a search on gofundme.com for wheel chair playground

https://www.gofundme.com/mvc.php?rou...g%20playground

I wonder why some were successful while others were not.

The goal on this one was 2500. They received $3000

My name is Anthony. I am a nurse at a day care for medically fragile children. On nice days, we take the kids outside and put them on swings or help them down the slides. Their laughter gets me through my days. It is a fantastic time however there are a handful of kids who are wheel chair bound and can only watch while the other children play. I try to include them as much as possible but I am limited.
    https://www.gofundme.com/xd5ytg

Then we have this one

Set a goal for $1000 but only received 1 donation of $100

My twin sister who died at the age of twelve meant everything to me, and I know she would have loved to have this opportunity. I’d like to extend it out to those who are disabled or have children who are disabled so that they can see the joy radiate from their faces and laughter. All of this money will go to an authorized wheelchair swing platform for a nearby playground/school in the Houston area. Thank you!

https://www.gofundme.com/5ckmg2g

The Gallatin Miracle Park!

Set a goal of $1000 and topped out at $420

The ADA compliant Miracle Field Project “is an effort to address the needs of citizens with physical and mental disabilities and their caregivers.”

The park will be all-inclusive, and will engage individuals of all abilities in organized recreation activities or use of the field to play team sports.
    https://www.gofundme.com/the-gallatin-miracle-park

This was ambitious

Set a goal of $400,000 but received $550

SouthShore All Abilities Playground

Swings, slides and monkey bars are an intricate part of childhood. Going to the playground is part of growing up. What happens when a child is unable to navigate a playground or parents/grandparents are unable to manage the terrain? Instances where curbs or mulch surround the play structures inhibit walkers and wheelchairs from accessing the area. Playgrounds may be built near freeways or train tracks causing sensory issues. These types of obstacles can turn a fun outing into
    https://www.gofundme.com/SSAAPG

I see more not reaching their goals than those that do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information