Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Notre Dame

Leftie, you put words in my mouth, things I never once said, and then you say I don’t know what I’m talking about. That’s not like you and doesn’t become you. Never said Alabama was overrated. I thought Clemson had a good shot but I was surprised at the margin of victory. I certainly didn’t fully appreciate the strength and depth of the Clemson defense. I don’t think Syracuse is better than either Alabama or ND and never said that but I will say that Cuse putting up 23 on that defense in Death Valley looks good in retrospect. And it looks to me like the Clemson qb is playing a different game from most of those other qb’s, including Tua. One thing you did say in post #9 was that people who thought that Georgia should be in final 4 were stupid because Georgia lost 2 games and lost a bowl game to Texas which lost 4 games. I know I don’t understand the game but in my diminished capacity it seemed to me that Texas started out poorly but improved pretty dramatically as the season went along. In addition , one of the losses suffered by each of those 2 schools was in a conference championship game...a nasty ritual suffered by just about every D1 aspirant to the final 4, all but one. ND has granted itself absolution from the ritual by refusing to join a conference. They couch that refusal in ethereal terms about ND’s special place in the football world but they simply don’t want to share the tv revenue. Of course, when the Georgia faithful were posting about ND they had yet to play a Texas. Then in your post #11 you say that all games are different, which is certainly true, and only the lazy and morons apply transitive thinking to football. Yet you apply transitive thinking to the claims of Georgia fans, they had 2 losses and lost to Texas and therefore Georgia couldn’t possibly beat Clemson and their fans were stupid for thinking so. Even though, as you correctly point out, every game is different. I guess transitive thinking is ok for some as long as it’s in the right cause. And as I’ve said none of the above addresses the 25 years of futility that is the source of most people’s complaints.

Tide = overrated? Oh, I dunno. I suppose it depends on a more robust definition of what "overrated" means. I think Alabama is consistently highly rated because they consistently (yes, with some relative slumps) perform highly. Surely the Bryant years, and now the Saban years speak to that. I don't have the W/L stats at hand for the last howevermany years... but I think that, by any measure, it'd be considered 'impressive' and worthy of pretty darn high ratings. So, "OVERrated"(?)... hard to say, IMO. Certainly, viewing Monday's display in blinkered fashion, an argument could be made that way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information