Thread: So how did we get the 33 light bill and why?

So how did we get the 33 light bill and why?

I moved these post because I think it would make an interesting topic - Tony

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Hey now..

Let us not assume.

Time clocks are not a bad idea if a good system was purchased. I'm assuming proper research was done.

Anyone know how they are working since they were installed? Do we now have a better handle on payroll accountability? Is the system saving some time so the cost of the system can be recouped? I was told there is a monthly fee for the system. Anyone know ballpark how much that is?

I don't know about details on the light issue on the 33.
    The town taxpayers should not be paying for the lights on the 33. It’s appalling that our town tax dollars are paying for the maintenance and monthly utility bills for those lights. Amherst removed all the lights on the 290 back in the 70’s as a substantial cost saving measure.

Quote Originally Posted by SabreTooth View Post
    The town taxpayers should not be paying for the lights on the 33. It’s appalling that our town tax dollars are paying for the maintenance and monthly utility bills for those lights. Amherst removed all the lights on the 290 back in the 70’s as a substantial cost saving measure.

The lights were shut off for a while but then a lot of people complained that stretch of roadway was too dark so they got turned back on again

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    The lights were shut off for a while but then a lot of people complained that stretch of roadway was too dark so they got turned back on again
    It’s a state Highway. NYS DOT should be paying for the lights on the 33. Town would save millions in 1 year

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Millions? How so?

The electric bill shouldn't be that expensive. How many bulbs and at what wattage? Do keep record on how many hours they are on don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by SabreTooth View Post
    I moved these post because I think it would make an interesting topic - Tony

Was it Amherst that removed the lights? I thought the lights were removed by the state. The 290 runs through Tonawanda too and Amherst had no right to remove lights in another town. A former comptroller of Amherst who had also been on the town board used to argue that accidents on the 290 decreased after the lights were removed and that perhaps the town should stop using street lights to make the roads safer. I think the decline in accidents was due to the decreased speed limit which occurred at roughly the same time. Easy way to find out, turn off all street lights and have people drive after dark with their headlights off. The streets should be really safe then.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Or perhaps the lack of street lights cause the drivers to slow down because of the darkness. Headlights on but no street lights.

It’s a state Highway. NYS DOT should be paying for the lights on the 33. Town would save millions in 1 year
    I don't think it's millions a year. If it was the town board should focus removing that cost. Well unless we can put a toll on it to collect revenue for the town. I'd be fine with that. Might even collect enough tolls to offset constant cost increases on labor contracts.

WNY, one would have to compare the number of accidents during hours that the lights were working with the number of accidents in the same hours after they were removed. And in any event it was during that period that the state lowered the speed limit from 65 to 55 so it prolly was due to decreased speed...but the decreased speed was mandated by law, not caused by no lights. As I said maybe we should outlaw headlights. Think of how safe the streets would be if we had to drive in total darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Or perhaps the lack of street lights cause the drivers to slow down because of the darkness. Headlights on but no street lights.

I don't think it's millions a year. If it was the town board should focus removing that cost. Well unless we can put a toll on it to collect revenue for the town. I'd be fine with that. Might even collect enough tolls to offset constant cost increases on labor contracts.
    More than likely a minimal cost but one of-those we saved x amount by all departments ordering pencils from the same vendor type huge savings. I’m sure some council member used that to pad their resume back in the day, just like helping the electrician

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I know what you mean. We saved over "15% on office supplies". Vote for me.

I was wondering what was involved with the electrician comment. Would it be rude to ask what did that involved?

Thread Information