Thread: 1-22-19 Board meeting

1-22-19 Board meeting

They pulled Resolution #21 on Tuesday night which was the adopted Schedule of salaries.
    Looking at the Park Crew chief who is doing an outstanding job, her salary was reduced by $7,216 in that
    resolution.

Why would you penalize someone for doing a good job?

Georgia L Schlager

What? gorja, that is strange. She has done an excellent job. Ok, let's look at this with clear eyes. Who has received raises in the 2019 budget?

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    They pulled Resolution #21 on Tuesday night which was the adopted Schedule of salaries.
    Looking at the Park Crew chief who is doing an outstanding job, her salary was reduced by $7,216 in that
    resolution.

Why would you penalize someone for doing a good job?

Her salary was not reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Her salary was not reduced.
    Really? In the 2019 adopted budget the Park's crew chief salary was stated as
    A7110 PARKS.1 Personal Services.101 Park Crew Chief 72,216

In the schedule of salaries in Resolution #21, it was stated -
    Park Crew Chief (Barbaro) 31.25 per hour
    31.25*40*52=65,000

So, is one the base salary and the other inclusive of overtime?

Georgia L Schlager

Really? In the 2019 adopted budget the Park's crew chief salary was stated as
    A7110 PARKS.1 Personal Services.101 Park Crew Chief 72,216

In the schedule of salaries in Resolution #21, it was stated -
    Park Crew Chief (Barbaro) 31.25 per hour
    31.25*40*52=65,000

So, is one the base salary and the other inclusive of overtime?
    I found the original appointment rate on November 6, 2017 which was $27.88 whether that rate was just for the two remaining months of 2017, I don't know.

So, thanks Lee for correcting me.

Georgia L Schlager

I found the original appointment rate on November 6, 2017 which was $27.88 whether that rate was just for the two remaining months of 2017, I don't know.

So, thanks Lee for correcting me.

It is not a matter of correcting. It is a matter of the difficulty in wading across the swamp to ferret out information.

On November 5th (2018) the town approved resolution #22, an agreement with Ms. Barbaro. The vote was 4-1, councilman Ruffino voting ‘no’. Mr. Ruffino stated his reason for voting ‘no’ - but in listening to the town recording I was unable to understand him. The resolution itself was short in language and void of specifics.

Barbaro was on a ‘step increase’ process and was not entitled to full (tenured) salary. $58,000 sounds about right in what she was then going to be getting in compensation.

IMHO, if the Schedule of Salary resolution was pulled and you are correct in assuming it has to do with the Parks crew chief Barbaro, a matter of concern has to be the overtime clause. Why would anyone agree to a full administrative salary structure that includes overtime.

Regardless, the $65,000 is an increase in salary and another $5,000 in overtime is not too shabby.

We shall see if your assumption is correct and it would be something worthwhile to inquire about when the resolution is resubmitted.

And yes, Barbaro is doing a credible job!

BTW - Love the way the town website has been improved where one can go back into the archives and dig for credible information. The recording archive is great. Thank you Ms. Terranova!

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    IMHO, if the Schedule of Salary resolution was pulled and you are correct in assuming it has to do with the Parks crew chief Barbaro, a matter of concern has to be the overtime clause. Why would anyone agree to a full administrative salary structure that includes overtime.
    Sorry Lee, but that wasn't my assumption for pulling the resolution. I was just informing readers that the resolution was pulled.
    Then I just noted my observation of the Park crew chief salary and expressed my opinion of her value to the department since her
    appointment to the position.

At the work session, there was no comment of the reasoning for pulling the resolution.
    Maybe there wasn't a majority that would approve that resolution for some reason.

Maybe further research is needed.

Georgia L Schlager

Sorry Lee, but that wasn't my assumption for pulling the resolution. I was just informing readers that the resolution was pulled.
    Then I just noted my observation of the Park crew chief salary and expressed my opinion of her value to the department since her
    appointment to the position.

At the work session, there was no comment of the reasoning for pulling the resolution.
    Maybe there wasn't a majority that would approve that resolution for some reason.

Maybe further research is needed.
    It is very likely that the resolution sponsor, Supervisor Coleman, did not have the support of the board majority - for whatever reason.

We should be able to figure it out when the resubmitted resolution is back on the agenda.

Looking at that resolution. It is the first time that I have seen the following as part of the Schedule of Salaries for Non-bargaining employees resolutions compared to resolutions from other years
    BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that effective January 1, 2019, non-represented full-time
    employees and the Town Supervisor, Town Clerk, and Highway Superintendent, who are eligible for health
    insurance coverage from the Town, shall pay 9.0% of the premium equivalent cost of such coverage that they
    select, and the waiver payment made to such employees for declining health insurance coverage shall be reduced
    accordingly, pursuant to procedures established by the Director of Administration and Finance
    ;

Georgia L Schlager

[SIZE=3]Looking at that resolution. It is the first time that I have seen the following as part of the Schedule of Salaries for Non-bargaining employees resolutions compared to resolutions from other years

Interesting post, Gorga.

The town's White Collar Unit just settled a three year contract with the town and its employees will be receiving a 3% wage increase for 2019, 1.5% for 2020, and 1.5% in 2021. They were not too happy with the settlement.

Well, they should be. Their health insurance premium contribution increases from 8.5% in 2018 to 9% in 2019, 9.5% in 2020, and 10% in 2021.

A town-provided family plan premium (with dental and vision) costs around $20,000. At a 9% contribution rate it will cost a participating member $1,800 annually; $150. This plan has low deductibles and co-pays.

Not too shabby considering this old guy and his wife contribute $3,300 for Medicare Coverage and another $1,440 for a supplemental insurance plan that has no dental or vision coverage, high deductibles and prescription copays.

So, $1,800 per year, $150 per month vs $4,740, per year, $399 per month.

I would expect to see smiles on those faces.

Thread Information