Thread: End voter suppression? New York is a good place to start

Tony Fracasso - Admin

End voter suppression? New York is a good place to start

Rod Watson: End voter suppression? New York is a good place to start

Yet despite its reputation as a progressive bastion, New York consistently ranks among the worst-performing states when it comes to voter turnout – something good-government groups attribute in large measure to how difficult it is to vote here.
    https://buffalonews.com/2018/12/06/e...box=1544115119

What he talking about?

The only issue I see locally in voting is that the electronic voting machines don't have any way to show verification if your ballot was scanned correctly.

Are there legal residents in Erie County that were "suppressed" from voting?

I interpreted this article as an attempt to advocate for early voting (something he discussed in the article) and for automatic registration when a person comes of voting age (also mentioned).

I concede that points were not well made. He somehow connects voter suppression with the two points I mention. I don't view voter suppression and not automatically registering someone to vote when they come of age as the same issue.
    Last edited by Colonel Sun; December 7th, 2018 at 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    Even as a great rock is not shaken by the wind, the wise man is not shaken by praise or by blame.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I don't like early voting. Gives too many possible nefarious actions.

Plus you can have the person you are voting turn to be a pedophile 2 days before election day and your vote is already cast.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I don't like early voting. Gives too many possible nefarious actions.

Plus you can have the person you are voting turn to be a pedophile 2 days before election day and your vote is already cast.
    They can find boxes of ballots that have been stored in closets

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    You said it not me.

I saw something scroll by on facebook. It questioned why do "found" ballots usually only favor one political party. They are usually all republican or all democrat.

In the end voting should be held one day and you need some form of ID. As ID goes I'm totally fine if the DMV had a "Free photo ID" for anyone that needed one. I see the need for true absentee ballots but not "mail" in ballots just because you think it's more convenient than going to a polling place.

Online voting should never be allowed because the possibility of cheating is way too high as is with mailed in ballots. I can picture "Stan" accidentally shredding a few hundred mailed in ballots.

I think all residents should be able to vote in national/state elections but a little iffy when it comes to town/school elections. I think being a "property owner" should be considered a voting requirement because the town board/school board directly effects the amount of taxes a property owner pays.

Same goes with a requirement to be on our town board. You need to be a property owner so you have some true skin in the game. I don't want "nomads" making decisions that effect my property taxes. They can just move away and rent some where else if they want to while leaving the property owners stuck with the bill.

Thread Information