Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another victim???

Another victim???

This story has been circulating for a couple of weeks now on the tv news. If this were to turn out to be true -- that an innocent man was imprisoned for nearly half his life for crimes he didn't commit -- it would just add to the horror that Sanchez has spread through this community.

Delaware Park rapes that sent man to prison bear striking similarities to bike path attacks

By GENE WARNER
    News Staff Reporter
    1/28/2007
    Investigators now believe the Bike Path Rapist/Killer - now suspected in 10 attacks - could be responsible for as many as 17 attacks over the past 30 years, including two that put an innocent man in prison for 21 years.
    Six members of the task force investigating the bike path attacks have told The Buffalo News they have significant doubts about Anthony J. Capozzi's guilt.
    Capozzi, charged with three rapes in or near Delaware Park in the mid-1980s, was convicted in two of those crimes. He has been in prison since his September 1985 arrest.
    Detectives say that the circumstances surrounding the bike path attacks are so similar to the 1983 and 1984 rapes around Delaware Park that prosecutors should re-examine the conviction of Capozzi, a mentally disabled man who still maintains his innocence.
    "I'm convinced that Capozzi did not do these rapes," Buffalo Detective Dennis Delano said. "What I'm trying to do now is convince others."
    "In my personal opinion, I don't think Capozzi committed these crimes," Buffalo Detective Lissa Redmond added. "This in no way reflects on the victims or on the police work at the time. We didn't have DNA. We didn't have computer databases."
    Detectives concede they have no physical evidence that could definitively exonerate Capozzi. But according to their instincts, based on all their years of crime-solving experience, they feel the case merits further investigation.
    "The similarities between the bike path crimes and the Delaware Park rapes are so close that they definitely deserve a second look, from both the task force and the district attorney's office," said Lt. Steven A. Nigrelli of the State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation.
    Prosecutors plan to review his case, but Erie County District Attorney Frank J. Clark, citing the lack of any DNA or physical evidence that could exonerate Capozzi, has said it would be difficult to overturn such a conviction.
    That's especially true, the district attorney suggested, because Capozzi's conviction was based largely on two victims' identification of their attacker - more than 20 years ago.

"Factors in common'
    These are some of the reasons investigators believe Capozzi went to prison for crimes the Bike Path Rapist/Killer committed:
    • Investigators already have linked the Bike Path Rapist to attacks that occurred in Delaware Park in 1981 and 1986, in the same area near the statue of David.
    • In each of the three Delaware Park attacks tied to Capozzi, the rapist told his victim to wait, either 10 or 20 minutes, before fleeing.
    In the 10 other cases previously tied to the Bike Path Rapist, every surviving victim who remembered the attack said her assailant told her to wait for a similar length of time.
    "It tells me that it's the same guy," Delano said. "What are the odds of two people saying the same thing to their victims, unless it was a copycat?" And that detail wasn't publicly known at the time. • The attack in each of the three Delaware Park cases occurred after the rapist walked or jogged toward the victim, before attacking her from behind or as he passed her.
    Similarly, surviving bike path victims told investigators they were attacked either from behind or as their assailants passed them, almost always after the attacker walked or ran toward them.
    "These are incredible coincidences that can't be ignored," Chief Scott R. Patronik of the Erie County Sheriff's Office said of the similar M.O.s.
    • At the time of the Delaware Park attacks, Capozzi had a distinguishing 3-inch vertical scar over his left eye, sustained when he went through a Your Host restaurant window in 1982.
    But none of the three Delaware Park victims who identified Capozzi in a lineup ever mentioned that scar to police, detectives said.
    • Investigators noted the similar descriptions of how Capozzi and Altemio C. Sanchez, the man now accused of being the Bike Path Rapist/Killer, looked in the 1980s.
    Both were in the range of 5 foot 6 to 5 foot 8, with medium to stocky builds and somewhat dark complexions. Capozzi, now 50, is a year and a half older.
    Capozzi was convicted in two of the three rapes, after the victims identified him in police lineups. But that was more than a year after the last of those three rapes.
    • The Delaware Park rapes didn't end when Capozzi was locked up in 1985.
    One element in the Delaware Park rapes in 1983 and 1984 differed greatly from the series of bike path rapes stretching from the 1980s to last fall.
    The mid-1980s attacker threatened his victims with a gun. The Bike Path Rapist used a ligature to control his victims.
    But the task force has found one possible explanation for that change, if the attackers were the same man. In one of the Delaware Park rapes of 1984, the victim managed to grab hold of the rapist's gun and strike him on the side of the head.
    "From 1986 on, there's a ligature used," Delano said. "I think it just evolved into the ligature." Redmond noted that in reading the statements from the victims in the Capozzi cases and the bike path rapes, if you substitute the ligature for the gun, "you almost can't tell the difference" between statements.

More victims possible
    Delano detailed the 16 or 17 attacks that the Bike Path Rapist/Killer may have committed.
    Besides the 10 crimes originally linked to that man, there are the three attacks in 1983 and 1984 that led to Capozzi's arrest; two other rapes in 1983; the 1981 Delaware Park rape that led to Sanchez's being identified; and possibly one other attack that predates the 1981 rape.
    "We're not positive there aren't more victims that we're not aware of," Delano said.
    Because of the statute of limitations for rape, no more charges can be filed in the nonfatal 1980s attacks.
    As detectives air their doubts about Capozzi's guilt, his family members, including his parents, Albert and Mary, are consulting with an attorney in an attempt to exonerate him.
    "I have so much pain in my heart," Albert Capozzi said.
    Their hopes center on two possibilities: that the legal system attempts to overturn the 1987 convictions against Capozzi or that the Bike Path Rapist admits his involvement in those crimes.
    Pamela Guenther, Anthony Capozzi's sister, was asked what she would say to the Bike Path Rapist.
    " "I don't know how you lived with yourself day in and day out, knowing how you ruined so many innocent people's lives, including your own family,' " she said. " "It's never too late to make some things right.' "

Spaghetti night
    On Dec. 22, weeks before Sanchez was arrested, Chief Patronik, Sgt. Gregory Savage and Detective Alan Rozansky, all of the Erie County Sheriff's Office, visited Capozzi in Attica Correctional Facility.
    They wanted to learn more about whether the rapes he was arrested for could have been committed by the Bike Path Rapist/Killer.
    The detectives were struck by the precarious mental state of Capozzi, a Hutchinson-Central Technical High School graduate who has suffered from schizophrenia for years. Family members agreed that Capozzi has an unsophisticated, almost childlike demeanor at times.
    Questioned about crimes that put him in prison for more than 21 years, Capozzi had a curious request of the detectives:
    "It's Spaghetti Night [in prison]. Can I go now?"
    Capozzi, who professed his innocence at his 1987 sentencing, was sentenced to a prison term of 11 2/3 to 35 years. State corrections documents say is scheduled for a parole hearing in March, 21 1/2 years after he was first jailed.
    Innocent Man
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

He's a total cruel scuz. He's considered innocent until proven guilty but with all of the DNA and other evidence, and no matter how his lawyer tosses it up in the air, it looks like he's guilty. His lawyer is most likely telling Sanchez's wife that her husband is being framed. The case looks much better for him if his wife believes in him. Wait until she wakes up to the truth. Lotempio, his lawyer, also says, sure, my client will give a DNA sample to clear up any grey areas, but don't hold your breath waiting for that.
    Sanchez will let a lot of victims look very bad, to make himself look innocent. But in the long run I believe Sanchez will pay for his crimes, and they seem to be many, statute of limitations or no.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D
    This story has been circulating for a couple of weeks now on the tv news. If this were to turn out to be true -- that an innocent man was imprisoned for nearly half his life for crimes he didn't commit -- it would just add to the horror that Sanchez has spread through this community.

Innocent Man
    But, Linda, the article also said he would still, if paroled, be considered guilty of the rapes. So Capozzi needs to have his name cleared if there's overwhelming evidence he wasn't involved in those crimes, and this would be for Capozzi's family as well as himself.

It is because of stories like this, that I don't believe in the death penalty.

Unregistered
    The similarity in their appearence at the time was striking.

Plus the saddest part is that Capozzi was/is a mentally disabled man. He might not have even been aware of what was going on when he was on trial... To make it even sadder the man just wanted to go eat spaghetti while he was being reinterrogated... That shows that maybe he still isn't aware.

Why did they think Capozzi did it in the first place? That never came out in any of the recent articles. Was he just in Delaware Park at the time? Was it just the fact that he looked like the attacker?
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1
    Plus the saddest part is that Capozzi was/is a mentally disabled man. He might not have even been aware of what was going on when he was on trial... To make it even sadder the man just wanted to go eat spaghetti while he was being reinterrogated... That shows that maybe he still isn't aware.

Why did they think Capozzi did it in the first place? That never came out in any of the recent articles. Was he just in Delaware Park at the time? Was it just the fact that he looked like the attacker?
    I think he was identified in lineups by two victims. This was before the advent of DNA testing, so that was probably the best evidence then. My suspicion is that Capozzi probably didn't have the best defense attorney, either.

What really fries me is that Sanchez' uncle lied when questioned about the white car. That was in the 1986 rape, I think. If he had told the truth, not only might Sanchez have been stopped 20 years ago before he added more victims and murder to his repetoire, but it might have been enough to get the Capozzi case reopened back then when it would have had a better chance of being overturned.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    It is because of stories like this, that I don't believe in the death penalty.
    I absolutely agree. As much as I think that some people deserve the death penalty, I think the chance for executing the wrong person is just too high. The project by the law students a few years ago that exonerated something like 9 inmates on Illinois death row led that state to suspend executions.

I don't understand how people can read an article like this and still get upset when an accused person is considered innocent until proven guilty.

I wonder if the guy had poor legal representation... combined with police eager to put someone away for those crimes. Plus his own handicaps probably made it more difficult to defend him.

What a waste. How do you compensate someone for taking away 20 prime years of their life for crimes they never committed??

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D
    What really fries me is that Sanchez' uncle lied when questioned about the white car. That was in the 1986 rape, I think. If he had told the truth, not only might Sanchez have been stopped 20 years ago before he added more victims and murder to his repetoire, but it might have been enough to get the Capozzi case reopened back then when it would have had a better chance of being overturned.
    If Sanchez is found guilty, I wonder what they will do about the Uncle. Could they charge him for obstruction?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by 300miles
    If Sanchez is found guilty, I wonder what they will do about the Uncle. Could they charge him for obstruction?
    nope .. he's forever protected under the statute of limitations

Quote Originally Posted by RaginTaxpayer
    nope .. he's forever protected under the statute of limitations
    He's protected legally, but the cops have ways of dealing with people when their hands are tied, which I totally agree with.
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

There should be some smart reporter out there who talks to:

1) The cops who interviewed the uncle. Apparently the uncle said "no that car hasn't been used in over a month". So, the cops just went back to the girl who had been raped and said "Sorry, honey - the guy you saw at the mall couldn't have been the guy who raped you 'cause we asked him, and he said he hadn't used that car in over a month. Yes, we believed him!"

2) The cops who put Capozzi behind bars; they deserve to have their stories told.

3) The "Capozzi victims", to see what they're now thinking. (Although they must now feel awful all over again, and I doubt they're in the mood to talk with reporters.)

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by therising
    There should be some smart reporter out there who talks to:

1) The cops who interviewed the uncle. Apparently the uncle said "no that car hasn't been used in over a month". So, the cops just went back to the girl who had been raped and said "Sorry, honey - the guy you saw at the mall couldn't have been the guy who raped you 'cause we asked him, and he said he hadn't used that car in over a month. Yes, we believed him!"
    The victims were shown pictures of the uncle in a photo line up. They were able to ID the car, but could not ID the uncle. That, of course, is because the uncle didnt rape the victims.

The cops should have investigated further based on the fact that the victim recognized Sanchez as the man who raped her and was seen leaving the Boulavard Mall in the uncles car. They should not have simply taken the uncle's word as gospel.

You forgot. . .

Quote Originally Posted by RaginTaxpayer
    The victims were shown pictures of the uncle in a photo line up. They were able to ID the car, but could not ID the uncle. That, of course, is because the uncle didnt rape the victims.

The cops should have investigated further based on the fact that the victim recognized Sanchez as the man who raped her and was seen leaving the Boulavard Mall in the uncles car. They should not have simply taken the uncle's word as gospel.
    . . . to mention that the uncle sees nothing wrong with what he did or has any regrets about it.
    "God's grace and mercy have brought you through. Quit acting as if you made it on your own." ~ T. D. Jakes

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a dilusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ~ Unknown

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. ~ Walt Disney

12/21/2012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information