Thread: Kudos to the Lancaster Town Board

Kudos to the Lancaster Town Board

Tonight’s town board meeting exemplified what residents wish to see and hear from their government representatives – information, civility and engagement between its town department heads, the board, and the public.

The department heads presented reports, as did the town board members and Supervisor Leary. Town board members also presented committee reports. The sharing on the upcoming bonding selections and willingness to involve / engage public input was refreshing.

Resolutions were detailed and succinct. A missed 2023 resolution covering water sprinkling installation expenses was discovered and corrected by tonight’s resolution. Tonight’s resolutions were clean, error free.

After 4 months in charge, this board has proven to be more open, transparent, and inclined to be serving in the best interests of the community. Definitely not the so-called ‘bully’ and polarizing individual he was charged with being, he has taken this board in a 180 direction change restoring intra departmental as well universal department cohesiveness, cooperation, and outcome favoring the community.

The building Moratorium, restoring his office managed by a CFO, Payroll Supervisor, and public experts to restore efficiency / accountability, resolutions that favor the community instead of special interests are all positive actions.

A positive first 4 months for this board. Unfortunately, power corrupts, and too often self-interests and agendas come into play. The Republican-Conservative controlled board has more to fear from disruptive forces within the Republican party than the inept / feckless Democratic party.

Lee, you have identified a common human fault when you speak about trouble from within. This particular board is filled with public service interested people for the most part. It is no secret Councilperson Schroeder has been rocking the boat behind the scenes and reacting in odd fashion and done some questionable things regarding her husband's tough election campaign. She is for sure the focal point trouble will come from. My thoughts, her political clout is nil.

I see the growing curve being kept on the upswing with this group of public servants. I hope that a newer members and even the veteran ones realize they OWE it to their community to speak up when they have a question about something they may not agree with fully. It is incumbent that each realize there is no pecking order in the type of governing that the people sent you there for. I hope that if any of those now seated ever feel out of the loop, they should know it is their responsibility to be brought up to speed and their responsibility to go openly to their fellow board members to find out what ever information they seek. I hope that the new Highway Superintendent realizes that although he needs to work with the Town Supervisor and the Councilpersons, he reports to the peoples satisfaction of services every election and should have autonomy to run that entity as he sees fit. Sometimes over stepping has occurred and this board should respect the people's choice and help him at every turn to complete the very tough job tasked to his department. The board has no business telling that Superintendent how to pave a road or much else other than budget interests. Trust is a BIG part of a smooth running government. Verification comes tab election time. Stay in your lane, is my best advice.

With all that said, I see a bright future, maybe there will be a rouge member, maybe not, regardless, should that happen I know this current crew can withstand it. Most members have a strong public backing, one may be along for the ride with dreams of the future and not so much of an ability to be elected by then. I think I have referred to the Schroeder Team and their future intentions concerning Mr. Sweeney as the biggest threat to continuity on the TOL board. That statement still stands.

Still, Lee, It's a heck of a lot better here in Peyton Place lol

GC:

Thanks for sharing your comments and perspective.

I remind you again that I am a lifelong registered unaffiliated voter (blank) who disregards party affiliation influence and does his best to select the most qualified candidate. I have been voting in the Town of Lancaster’s districts for the past 51 years and have yet to see a board makeup where politics and partisanship has not adversely impacted the best interests of its community, infrastructure, and environment.

It is to be expected that individuals in an organization have different opinions on what is in the best for the community. They have the right to hold that opinion, to question but not to distort the facts, and render a decision that may not agree with others, but a decision rendered in the best interest of the community. Such activity builds respect and trust.

Beginning with the 2021 campaign and election, the Lancaster Democratic Party lost voter trust and confidence when they abandoned their party values, attempted to primary and cross endorse candidates from all existing political parties in an attempt to usurp total political control. Sadly, some candidates who were worthy of election bought into this corrupt deceit and were soundly defeated. Since then the Lancaster Democrats have been weaken to the point it fielded only one candidate in 2023, Town Clerk Diane Terranova, a sure shot they did not endorse in 2019 (and who kicked ass) - and not endorsed by a partisan Republican Party too stupid to not act in the best interest of the community (but willing to work with Democrats in 2021 by cross endorsing their nefarious party switching game.

Thus far this board appears to be unified, civil, attentive to public comment and concerns, and acting in the best interest of its community, environment, infrastructure, et al. Difference in opinions will arise between government representatives and should be settled with the intent of the community’s best interests in mind, not that of the individual or influenced by special interest groups.

This board should be held equally accountable – and will. Especially rogue members acting from within their own party and against their instituted conservative values.

A beautifully stated and astute perspective by you Lee, as usual.

Thread Information