Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog lives matter

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    It’s the SPCA Lee, not the ASPCA, different organization, unlike your assumption.

So the town can make an agreement with them, that’s what it takes. Or the towns can each have a dog warden , a shelter, an adoption program, and then everyone can bitch and moan about their town taxes, which is what everyone seems to do anyways, “I want my taxes cut, but I don’t want any cut in services and I want the town to wipe my butt”,
    You have a gotcha on the ASPCA but you knew what I was referring to. And my assumption is correct, namely that the county facility is not equipped to handle dogs from all over with immediate request.

I bitch about taxes as much as you do but here the focus should be on what is in the best interest of the dogs and the community and how efficiently and fiscally responsible the Dog Control Department operates.

The Lancaster dog control department has been in service for decades – as far back as I have been a town resident. It was never established to be an adoption agency – nor is it today. It’s main function as stated on the town website:

Main Function of Department:

• To serve the residents of the Town of Lancaster and Villages of Depew and Lancaster who may have problems or questions related to dogs
    • Ensuring the licensing of dogs
    • Picking up dogs at large
    • Ensuring proper care and feeding of dogs detained at the Town of Lancaster kennels
    • Enforcement of Town and Village codes and New York State law pertaining to dog control
    • Issuing appearance ticket for violations of Town and Village codes
    • Enforcement of impoundment fees to be paid by the respective owner to the Town Clerk of the Town of Lancaster
    • Maintaining an up-to-date census of dogs in the Town and Villages
    • Sending notices for delinquent dog licenses
    • Maintaining kennels to provide a clean and safe environment for detained dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Breezi View Post
    Unfortunately if Councilmember Matt Walters didn't drop the ball there was a State grant available that the Town could have had for a better dog shelter. Then he tried to pass the blame on someone else. If there we're unanswered questions he allegedly needed all he had to do was communicate with the Grant Writer hired by the Town ( Sue Maxwell Barnes) at many thousands of dollars. SO SAD MATT WALTERS TRIED TO BLAME SOMEONE ELSE FOR HIS SHORTCOMINGS. SAD, SO SAD!

Pretty much the same I hear it. However, I would take the entire town board down that road.

Unfortunately if Councilmember Matt Walters didn't drop the ball there was a State grant available that the Town could have had for a better dog shelter. Then he tried to pass the blame on someone else. If there we're unanswered questions he allegedly needed all he had to do was communicate with the Grant Writer hired by the Town ( Sue Maxwell Barnes) at many thousands of dollars. SO SAD MATT WALTERS TRIED TO BLAME SOMEONE ELSE FOR HIS SHORTCOMINGS. SAD, SO SAD!
    Personally, I can't tell for sure which side is telling the truth.
    If the email with the questions to the DCO was brought forward, there was some evidence from one side.
    Without any evidence, it's a he said; she said, IMHO.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Personally, I can't tell for sure which side is telling the truth.
    If the email with the questions to the DCO was brought forward, there was some evidence from one side.
    Without any evidence, it's a he said; she said, IMHO.
    Who is telling the truth, Gorga, well now that depends on what information you receive and choose to believe.

As usual, nothing can be discerned from the non-investigative Lancaster Bee; the town’s official lackey. Their written version reported:

The Town Board also approved an amendment to local law that states dogs seized by any dog control officer or peace officer will be held for a period of three days instead of the current seven-day redemption period.

Jean Karn, a dog control officer for the town, said she requested that the law be enacted after being contacted by New York State.

“We do not have enough room to house the dogs that we have coming through our kennels,” said Karn. “At the end of the year, I will probably have 140 dogs come through, and I have four kennels.”

Coleman said there were 12 incidents this year where there wasn’t enough room for the amount of dogs being seized.

We’re trying to work out an agreement between the Town of Lancaster and the Town of Clarence so when there is a time when you have an overflow, you would be able to take the dogs there,” Coleman told Karn.

Coleman said the agreement is still in its early stages.

What was not mentioned in the report:

• No mention that Councilman Walter was going to pull the resolution that the public hearing on November 5th was to reduce the hold time from seven days to five.

• No mention that resident Lemaster spoke on the condition of the kennels (chewed floors and walls), unsanitary wooded floors, and the impact on the dogs’ wellbeing.

• No mention that because of overflow of dogs and/or aggressive dogs were dogs held in cages in the DCO’S office.

• No mention of tow kennels being out of operation for a period of time because of repairs to floors and walls.

• No mention of a grant or its size to improve the facility or replace it with a brick and motor building suited for such operation – especially with future town growth and more dogs.

• No mention of the he said, she said exchange between Walter and DCO Karn. Walter claims Karn was negligent in filling out the application properly, that the board had questions and he did not receive an email from Karn in time. Karn claimed at the meeting that she went above and beyond to keep the board informed and the application was filled correctly but never submitted by the board in time.

The board is to be commended for the DCO operation improvement in the past two years; providing the funding for staffing and resources. So too is Mrs. Karn who through her commitment and diligence had taken over a department and operation that was withering on the vine. IMHO it was Karn who initiated the seeking of the grant to get funding to address the shortcomings of the facility and if the town was not satisfied with Karn’s application they should have acted more responsibly in doing whatever was required to get the grant in on time.

Next year is not good enough Mr. Walter. The dogs and community deserve better. And for God’s sake empower Mrs. Karn’s department to issue dog licenses to residents coming in to retrieve dogs that are not licensed. Let’s expediate the process to reduce dog holding times. Hasn’t that already been requested.

Aren't you a Cheektowagan, do you act the same way at the Cheektowaga board meetings as you do at Lancaster's?

Georgia L Schlager

So Breezi, are you a Cheektowagan or a Lancaster resident? Why would Gorga suspect that you were at Monday's town board meeting and trash talked?

Regardless, I share your opinion that DCO Karn was honest when she declared that she went above and beyond to answer all grant application questions. I differ in that I believe she was not supported by Walter but also with a town board that was complicit in the debacle and where Barnes should have been there to support Karn; but Barnes gets a pass because she gets her marching orders from the board.

Now if you are indeed a Lancaster resident and voicing your opinion in the interests of the grant being lost and possibility of a future brick-and-mortar building being constructed as it should be, and not to be vindictive, then lets share. I get tired of non resident individuals voicing opinions that know nothing of the town's DCO history, present operation, and kennel conditions.

Here is the timeline for the state grant -

https://www.agriculture.ny.gov/rfps/...-2018-2019.pdf

Maybe, if there is any proof to substantiate either side's version of the situation in email form, they'll place it in the next meeting's communications.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Here is the timeline for the state grant -

https://www.agriculture.ny.gov/rfps/...-2018-2019.pdf

Maybe, if there is any proof to substantiate either side's version of the situation in email form, they'll place it in the next meeting's communications.
    While you continue to obsess as to who is telling the truth between Walter and Karn, I look at it as it is the town board’s obligation to pursue the grant funding and authorize the Supervisor to apply for the grant; along with the grant writer’s application involvement in formally penning the document for application. Did any of that take place? I don’t think so.

The town is to be commended for taking this operation in the right direction and for its successes. There are issues and shortcomings and the town dropped the ball in getting state funding to assist in making the changes for resolve.

Much ado about nothing apparently. Nothing in the Lancaster Sun re the Dog Control Department holding ordinance change, Breezi missing in action and the town blaming Dog Control Officer Jean Karn for missing out for its getting a New York State matching grant for of up to $200,000 for facility improvements or the construction of a new dog control facility.

As a licensed dog owner for decades, keeping all my dogs leashed or tethered and never having the need for DCO services, why should I give a rat’s ass? I got involved in the DCO operation when it became known how poorly the town’s dog control department operation was being run under the previous DCO Officer – so poorly that then Town Supervisor Fudoli was unable to come to an agreement with Clarence for department consolidation – operation and abysmal record keeping Going without a DCO (all assistants and the sale of the department’s Walden Avenue facility) further impacted the department’s efficiency.

Since the hiring and appointing of Jean Karn as Dog Control Officer under the present administration and the construction of a 4-kennel shed the department did a 180. Dog licensing increased significantly. Record keeping under Karn became meticulous and substantive and reveals the number of dog seizures, the return rate to owners increased, and when required unclaimed dogs were transferred to the SPCA and other organizations for adoption – instead of being euthanized as past practice. From what I understand only one dog has been euthanized under Karn’s watch.

Unfortunately, the process has hit a bump in the road. The 4-kennel shed’s floors and inadequate wall construction is being chewed up by the more aggressive dogs requiring repair or replacement, and kennel space has been compromised. Dogs are being crated and sheltered in the DCO’S office – an office that is not in close proximity to the kennel shed.

After Mrs. Lemaster brought the facility’s poor condition before the board the highway department staff set about removing the wooded floors and replacing them with tile. The work ended with the wooden floors being removed but no tiling took place because the workers were needed elsewhere. No kennels were available this week for holding stray dogs. All dogs are being held in the DCO’s office.

The Dog Control Department needs a brick and mortar building, one that can provide an office for the DCO that allows sight lines and proper monitoring. Lancaster was in a good position to have been eligible for a matching grant of $200,000 for facility improvements or toward the construction of a new facility – a brick and mortar building as the shed was supposed to be a temporary facility and is lacking in efficiency and number of kennels. DCO Karn had the application form in order. It is the responsibility of the Town Board and Grant Writer to formally pursue its submittal.

As Mrs. Lemaster succinctly stated: “The other departments get what they want and need; the tools to do their jobs.” The dogs and the community deserve better. I wouldn’t want my dog sheltered at this facility in its present condition.

So, I guess what’s taking place at the DCO pales in importance to the required spending that is taking place for the required bonding for garbage, water and electricity improvements, salary increases, whatever.

The dogs and the community deserve better!

BTW - anyone know if the town has conducted a dog census - as promised many moons ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    While you continue to obsess as to who is telling the truth between Walter and Karn, I look at it as it is the town board’s obligation to pursue the grant funding and authorize the Supervisor to apply for the grant; along with the grant writer’s application involvement in formally penning the document for application. Did any of that take place? I don’t think so.

The town is to be commended for taking this operation in the right direction and for its successes. There are issues and shortcomings and the town dropped the ball in getting state funding to assist in making the changes for resolve.
    Lee, I'm not obsessed. I'm just someone who needs proof before alleging either sides wrong doing. I can't just say Walter is telling the truth just because he says so or I can't say Karn is telling the truth just because she says so.

I do agree she needs a kennel built with proper materials. Wood is definitely not the proper material for a kennel floor.

At the work session, Mr Amatura had stated that the boys would be at the DCO camp the next day. AS you stated, they haven't finished the job yet. Hopefully, the floor will be tiled soon. In the end, Karn usually gets what she wants. Look at how she turned that PT job into a FT job.

She could write something to put into the communications or Bee or Sun about the deplorable conditions with pictures of the kennel. I think there would be a speedy fix.

Georgia L Schlager

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Much ado about nothing apparently. Nothing in the Lancaster Sun re the Dog Control Department holding ordinance change, Breezi missing in action and the town blaming Dog Control Officer Jean Karn for missing out for its getting a New York State matching grant for of up to $200,000 for facility improvements or the construction of a new dog control facility.
    Maybe someone should have had Sojka present it to the newspapers. It seems that he calls; they print

Georgia L Schlager

gorja;1841503]

Lee, I'm not obsessed. I'm just someone who needs proof before alleging either sides wrong doing. I can't just say Walter is telling the truth just because he says so or I can't say Karn is telling the truth just because she says so.
    The grant application process went into effect on 7/20/18. It was Mrs. Karn that approached the board on applying for the grant. From early on through November it was Karn who had provided information to the board. So in all that time Walter now tells Karn that the board had questions and when Karn claims an email was sent but Walter denies receiving the email.

In the 20 years I attended board meetings I witnessed a grant / bond application process. A department head may request such activity, but it is the board that decides whether the request has merit, then asks the grant writer (in this case) to address application requirements and the board approves the request by resolution. Here the resolution never got to the grant writer because there is clear indication that the town did not want to validate Karn’s grant request.

Getting the grant would also mean the town would be obligated to match the grant amount and give serious consideration in building a new brick and mortar facility which Karn and others feel is needed – not wasting money on repairing a 4-kennel shed that is inadequate and inefficient in numerous ways.

Regardless, the grant opportunity timeline has expired and we are stuck with what we have.

I do agree she needs a kennel built with proper materials. Wood is definitely not the proper material for a kennel floor.
    It is not going to happen now – nor in the near future.

At the work session, Mr Amatura had stated that the boys would be at the DCO camp the next day. AS you stated, they haven't finished the job yet. Hopefully, the floor will be tiled soon. In the end, Karn usually gets what she wants.
    Like what? The tools to do her job? She didn’t get the grant money she wanted. She’s getting the chewed floors (a bad idea from the get-go) replaced and tiled and that’s a biggie? What are they going to do with the walls? What will they do to move her office adjacent to the kennels? More kennels are needed as she now holds dogs in her office.

Look at how she turned that PT job into a FT job.
    With the exception of a few recent years, Lancaster has always had a full time DCO. This board hired Karn and promoted her while publicly acknowledging she turned the department into an efficient operation.

Karn is budgeted to earn $48,756 for 2019 and the Assistant DCO’S $42,588. The last full time DCO budgeted salary in 2014 was $47,577 and the Assistant DCO’s for $45,000. Apples to apples.

She could write something to put into the communications or Bee or Sun about the deplorable conditions with pictures of the kennel. I think there would be a speedy fix.
    Yeah, like that wouldn’t be political suicide. I find it more interesting that the Bee and Sun made no mention of the issues Mrs. Lemaster brought up at last Monday’s town board meeting. One would have thought these crack investigative media outlets would have looked into Lemasters’ allegations.

I do find the email exchanges telling. I would like to see them made public. I seen a few council members eat crow when they were divulged.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    The grant application process went into effect on 7/20/18. It was Mrs. Karn that approached the board on applying for the grant. From early on through November it was Karn who had provided information to the board. So in all that time Walter now tells Karn that the board had questions and when Karn claims an email was sent but Walter denies receiving the email.

In the 20 years I attended board meetings I witnessed a grant / bond application process. A department head may request such activity, but it is the board that decides whether the request has merit, then asks the grant writer (in this case) to address application requirements and the board approves the request by resolution. Here the resolution never got to the grant writer because there is clear indication that the town did not want to validate Karn’s grant request.

Getting the grant would also mean the town would be obligated to match the grant amount and give serious consideration in building a new brick and mortar facility which Karn and others feel is needed – not wasting money on repairing a 4-kennel shed that is inadequate and inefficient in numerous ways.

Regardless, the grant opportunity timeline has expired and we are stuck with what we have.

It is not going to happen now – nor in the near future.

Like what? The tools to do her job? She didn’t get the grant money she wanted. She’s getting the chewed floors (a bad idea from the get-go) replaced and tiled and that’s a biggie? What are they going to do with the walls? What will they do to move her office adjacent to the kennels? More kennels are needed as she now holds dogs in her office.

With the exception of a few recent years, Lancaster has always had a full time DCO. This board hired Karn and promoted her while publicly acknowledging she turned the department into an efficient operation.

Karn is budgeted to earn $48,756 for 2019 and the Assistant DCO’S $42,588. The last full time DCO budgeted salary in 2014 was $47,577 and the Assistant DCO’s for $45,000. Apples to apples.

Yeah, like that wouldn’t be political suicide. I find it more interesting that the Bee and Sun made no mention of the issues Mrs. Lemaster brought up at last Monday’s town board meeting. One would have thought these crack investigative media outlets would have looked into Lemasters’ allegations.

I do find the email exchanges telling. I would like to see them made public. I seen a few council members eat crow when they were divulged.

Thanks for explaining all the above Lee.

The DCO's position change from FT to PT wasn't so much the money issue with me. It was going from no benefits to all benefits but healthcare as her husband has the healthcare.

Those reporters, I do see at the work session. I sit in the front row and don't see behind me during the regular meeting.
    I don't know if they're there for the meeting itself or not.

Georgia L Schlager

Unfortunately, Matt Walters is only in the business of spending money in a wasteful manner. Isn't Matt W. on the oversight committee for the dog kennel?

Communications #763 -
    Lancaster Town Council Member Matthew Walter to Supervisor and Town Board
    Information regarding Dog Control Grant Background. Disposition =

Unfortunately, the communications for Monday's meeting aren't on the website yet.

Also,
    Communications # 751 and #752
    NYS Agriculture and Markets to Supervisor –
    Municipal Shelter Inspection Report for Lancaster Dog Control. Disposition =

NYS Agriculture and Markets to Supervisor –
    Dog Control Officer Inspection Report for Lancaster Dog Control. Disposition =
    Last edited by gorja; November 30th, 2018 at 12:01 PM.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information