Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
It’s the SPCA Lee, not the ASPCA, different organization, unlike your assumption.

So the town can make an agreement with them, that’s what it takes. Or the towns can each have a dog warden , a shelter, an adoption program, and then everyone can bitch and moan about their town taxes, which is what everyone seems to do anyways, “I want my taxes cut, but I don’t want any cut in services and I want the town to wipe my butt”,
You have a gotcha on the ASPCA but you knew what I was referring to. And my assumption is correct, namely that the county facility is not equipped to handle dogs from all over with immediate request.

I bitch about taxes as much as you do but here the focus should be on what is in the best interest of the dogs and the community and how efficiently and fiscally responsible the Dog Control Department operates.

The Lancaster dog control department has been in service for decades – as far back as I have been a town resident. It was never established to be an adoption agency – nor is it today. It’s main function as stated on the town website:

Main Function of Department:

• To serve the residents of the Town of Lancaster and Villages of Depew and Lancaster who may have problems or questions related to dogs
• Ensuring the licensing of dogs
• Picking up dogs at large
• Ensuring proper care and feeding of dogs detained at the Town of Lancaster kennels
• Enforcement of Town and Village codes and New York State law pertaining to dog control
• Issuing appearance ticket for violations of Town and Village codes
• Enforcement of impoundment fees to be paid by the respective owner to the Town Clerk of the Town of Lancaster
• Maintaining an up-to-date census of dogs in the Town and Villages
• Sending notices for delinquent dog licenses
• Maintaining kennels to provide a clean and safe environment for detained dogs