Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog lives matter

If I understood tonight's Town Council session correctly, did not Supervisor Ruffino vote "No" on this Resolution?

2022-01-18.jpg

If my understanding is correct, and the Resolution carried 4-1, again I ask what is really bugging Ruffino about the Dog Control Office?

Or maybe he just had a "bad" day, eh?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 18th, 2022 at 09:09 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Lancaster’s Town Board approved a resolution to appoint Elizabeth Bertozzi to the position of Assistant Dog Control Officer full-time in the Control of Dogs’ Office, effective January 17, 2022 at an annual salary of $29,537.50 on step which represents 85% of the full salary of $34,750.00, contingent upon approval by Erie County Department of Personnel, and that such appointment shall be subject to all applicable provisions of law and shall be governed by the same terms and conditions as apply to other non-represented, full-time Town employees.

The resolution was approved by all four councilmembers. Supervisor Ruffino cast the lone ‘no’ vote. Prior to casting his vote Ruffino asked resolution sponsor Councilman Leary whether this full-time position included benefits. Leary confirmed it did. Ruffino commented that this position would inflate the dog control budget to around $200,000.

Leary responded that a lot of research was done using the payroll supervisor and town attorney and it was unfortunately discovered that the position that existed was not setup right – should not have existed. “Anyone working over 30 hours should have been entitled to benefits. I don’t know how that went through before, but after the research performed this is the appropriate thing to do.

Ruffino: This will bring our department budget close to $200,000, where Cheektowaga does it for $120,000, Amherst for $115,000 and West Seneca for $86,000.

Leary: They do it differently.

Ruffino: Maybe we are doing it wrong.

Leary: Maybe we are doing it right, Hopefully, we will be the cream of the crop, the best dog operation in the county.

Ruffino: I disagree. Why are other towns doing it for less money? They don’t use full-time people. This should be investigated. This is my dispute.

Comment

• The 2022 Lancaster Dog Control Department budget is $130.437. Subtracting the current wages already paid Bertozzi and making this a full-time position with benefits, the budget will come nowhere near $200,000.

• The department is not staffed with 5 assistant DCO’s as stated in the Schedule of Salaries. There are only 3. Bertozzi’s added hours will help to right size staffing requirements.

• Leary is spot on in saying other municipalities do it differently. If Ruffino had done some research and investigated other town budgets he would be hard pressed to find a comparable budget that defines department budgetary line items presented, and with a DCO that presents monthly activity reports and an annual report:

2021 Dog Control Report
    2,841 Complaints or calls received
    1,582 Calls responded to / follow-ups
    137 Compliance notices
    680 Final notices
    181 Court appearance tickets issued
    48 Dog bite reports filed
    82 Dogs redeemed.
    18 Dog rescue transfer
    11 Dog transfers to SPCA
    0 Dogs euthanized
    2 Deceased dogs
    16,865 Miles patrolled with van

• Instead of chasing nickel & dimes Mr. Supervisor, do some research to determine who cost the town well over $100,000 in miscalculating the construction cost of the new shelter, why construction costs were made omitting safety features required and reinstated with additional ‘change order’ costs, and why we are still absent in meeting the NYS Animal Companion grant application design submitted – 6 kennels instead of 9, a one-car garage instead of two, etc.

• It is time the residents of Lancaster had a functional dog control operation with appropriate oversite, where we have access to job descriptions of the staff; why the dog licensing fee revenue goes into the General Fund and not to the department; why with 181 court appearance tickets issues the town only received $175 in fines; why no dog census undertaking is taking place as promised by the town several years ago which would add department revenue.

• We are now in the process of constructing a shelter that will meet the safety requirements of dog / staff / public and the wellbeing of the animals. The staff needs due consideration.

Public safety is #1, and ‘yes’ for many of us ‘Dog Lives Matter’!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

Public safety is #1, and ‘yes’ for many of us ‘Dog Lives Matter’!
    Just My Opinion:

A wonderful expose of Ruffino's petty, polarizing, and politicized form of governance Lee; a self-serving style which relies on dramatics, faithfully performed by false and misleading theatrical soundbites.

When reduced to facts, it would seem that Ruffino either truly does not know his ass from a hole in the ground, or that he may be a vindictive sort whose concern for community does not exceed his prioritized need for retribution.

Well done, as always Mr. C.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 19th, 2022 at 10:41 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    "Monday evening Councilmember Robert Leary sponsored a resolution to create a position that would make part-time Dog Control Officer Jean Karn full-time; 35 hours to 40 hours per week"

I don't remember ever seeing that Full time open position posted on the town's website.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    "Monday evening Councilmember Robert Leary sponsored a resolution to create a position that would make part-time Dog Control Officer Jean Karn full-time; 35 hours to 40 hours per week"

I don't remember ever seeing that Full time open position posted on the town's website.

Confused? Yeah, me too.

Karn’s hiring and employment status has always been confusing to me. Hired in 2017 as part-time, yet considered salaried, expected to work 35 hours per week, paid as full-time salaried, yet receiving no benefits. Karn is only getting what prior full-time DCO’s were receiving - and what Karn is entitled to considering she has been working full-time hours and receiving appropriate salary compensation, but no benefits.

Leary’s resolution does not increase Karn’s salary but entitles her to benefits. Speaking of salary, Karn’s salary in the 2018 budget is listed at $50,000. That compensation is twice the wage of a part-time (20 hour) assistant DCO at that time. Karn was working full-time (35 hours per week), salaried, should not have been considered a part-time employee, and should have been entitled to benefits. There is no job creation, but a resolution to correct an agreement / contract – recognizing and righting a wrong!

Still confused as to Karn’s status. Department Head, or not? She has all the responsibilities of one. Would love to see her job description.

When Karn was hired in 2017, Supervisor Ruffino cast the only ‘no’ vote. I can’t remember at the time whether he commented why?

IMHO, Ms. Karn has become a valuable asset to the town, in operational managing skills and responsible for initiating the petition for the NYS Animal grant to cover 75% of the new dog shelter construction costs. She’s a keeper!

Thank God for the kindness of rescue workers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dPDj30SA2E

Dogs, man's best friend. How can anyone abuse them?

https://www.theepochtimes.com/autist...PSLwWr8g%3D%3D

Shelter update & heartwarming video

Ceiling installed

Shelter 1-29-22 (1) Celing installed.jpg

Cabinets in and being installed

Shelter 1-29-22 (2) Cabinet installation.jpg

Heartwarming video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAXt0yKHvlM

Town of Aurora Highway Department

The Town of Aurora/East Aurora dog control which is a part of the Town of Aurora highway department rescued 6 Golden doodle dogs this week. They will be available for adoption on Monday February 7, 2022. We are looking for good homes for them. They are all nice dogs but will need some patience because they lacked socialization where they were rescued from. They were kept outdoors and we do not believe they have been house broken yet. Please call 652-4050 to schedule an appointment to see the dogs. At this time we appear to have already seen interest in 3 of them.
    We would like to thank the following local businesses for coming forward free of charge to help us get them in good shape: East Aurora Pet Boutique for haircuts and grooming, Sammy’s car and dog wash for initial bathing, and Doctor Kanter from Southtowns equine for veterinarian services and shots. THANK YOU!!!!
    Also shout out to our dog control team of Sheryl, Dan, Dave T, and Liz for taking such good care of these dogs!
    Lastly Thanks to our friends at EAPD for assisting us in the rescue!

Georgia L Schlager

Town of Aurora Highway Department

The Town of Aurora/East Aurora dog control which is a part of the Town of Aurora highway department rescued 6 Golden doodle dogs this week. They will be available for adoption on Monday February 7, 2022. We are looking for good homes for them. They are all nice dogs but will need some patience because they lacked socialization where they were rescued from. They were kept outdoors and we do not believe they have been house broken yet. Please call 652-4050 to schedule an appointment to see the dogs. At this time we appear to have already seen interest in 3 of them.
    We would like to thank the following local businesses for coming forward free of charge to help us get them in good shape: East Aurora Pet Boutique for haircuts and grooming, Sammy’s car and dog wash for initial bathing, and Doctor Kanter from Southtowns equine for veterinarian services and shots. THANK YOU!!!!
    Also shout out to our dog control team of Sheryl, Dan, Dave T, and Liz for taking such good care of these dogs!
    Lastly Thanks to our friends at EAPD for assisting us in the rescue!
    I shared the relevant information in your post on my FB page Gorja.

There are number of animal lovers on the page, so it may help the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    I shared the relevant information in your post on my FB page Gorja.

There are number of animal lovers on the page, so it may help the cause.
    Thank you Mark
    Update: All six dogs are accounted for as far as adoption, as well as a waiting list should anyone back out or not qualify. According to Liz, East Aurora Highway Dept., donations for blankets, food, treats etc. are sufficient! as well. She thanks you from the bottom of her heart. She’s also suggesting donating to area rescue groups. Go Ea Community who stepped up to the plate!!!!

Georgia L Schlager

Thank you Mark
    [FONT="]Update: All six dogs are accounted for as far as adoption, as well as a waiting list should anyone back out or not qualify. According to Liz, East Aurora Highway Dept., donations for blankets, food, treats etc. are sufficient! as well. She thanks you from the bottom of her heart. She’s also suggesting donating to area rescue groups. Go Ea Community who stepped up to the plate!!!![/FONT]
    I try to support Sadie's, from whom I got my buddy who tragically passed almost three-years ago.

Gorja, I just want everyone on this forum to know how kind you were to both me and my wife during that difficult time; a kindness which even bitter politics simply can not erase from our minds.

INJECTING DOGS - THE COCAINE JACKET

A disgusting, nauseating report on barbaric animal experimentation cruelty. Dr. Fauci’s silence is deafening.

https://clarion.causeaction.com/2022...perimentation/
    White Coat Waste Project obtained documents through the Freedom of Information Act.

Injecting beagle puppies with cocaine is the latest in a series of taxpayer-funded experiments on animals disclosed by the nonprofit watchdog group White Coat Waste Project (WCW).

The experiments were contracted to SRI International, Nieves said, which WCW has reported in 2021 as the institute that was de-barking beagles by cutting their vocal cords so that the dogs couldn’t bark, howl, or cry during an experiment.

Also in 2021, WCW exposed NIAID’s experiments on beagles that involved having sandflies eat the dogs alive, as well as experiments that involved force-feeding 44 beagle puppies an experimental drug before killing and dissecting them.

According to a July 2021 WCW report, though the FDA doesn’t require experimental drugs to be tested on dogs, the FDA has issued frequent guidance pointing experimenters toward the use of other non-rodent species, specifically dogs.

The NIH and its divisions continue to use dogs, despite the NIH itself having stated that 9 out of 10 drugs that pass animal tests fail in humans because they don’t work or are dangerous, Goodman said.

DEMANDING ANSWERS: FAUCI SILENT

WCW’s uncovering of the animal experiments prompted 24 U.S. lawmakers in October 2021 to demand answers from Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of NIAID and the chief medical advisor to President Joe Biden.

Rep. Nancy Mace (R-S.C.) introduced legislation in December 2021 that would end NIAID’s “barbaric” experiments on dogs.

The Preventing Animal Abuse and Waste (PAAW) Act of 2021 would prevent Fauci from conducting or supporting research that could result in death, irreversible damage, significant pain, or distress to dogs.

The bill, which has bipartisan support, also requires that NIAID report to Congress ongoing dog experiments, its plan to phase out dog testing, and how much money is being spent on the experiments.

To date, Fauci hasn’t responded to the lawmakers.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    I try to support Sadie's, from whom I got my buddy who tragically passed almost three-years ago.

Gorja, I just want everyone on this forum to know how kind you were to both me and my wife during that difficult time; a kindness which even bitter politics simply can not erase from our minds.
    Oh Mark,

Our dogs are like our children. Here's a cute video a friend of someone at work made of my newest pup.
    She's actually a goldendoodle not a labradoodle

And here she is after a haircut looking like a poodle. just love her head tilt

Georgia L Schlager

Oh Mark,

Our dogs are like our children. Here's a cute video a friend of someone at work made of my newest pup.
    She's actually a goldendoodle not a labradoodle
    Indeed they are Gorja, and many times they surpass in decency the human members of our family; always loyal!!!

Your dog is wonderful Gorja, and I hope that you both have many, many happy years together.

Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread Information