Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog lives matter

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    Where are you getting this information from?

The SPCA still has very few dogs available, had zero a few weeks ago. Also, why would you want your town to spend money on a dog shelter when the SPCA has a brand new facility? Duplication of services at its finest at spending that’s not needed.

The information I provided came from two national media reports from shelter agencies.

I would suggest you and Res research the limited services provided by the ASPC, shelters and rescue adoption agencies and why the need for a municipal Dog Control Operation.

Since 2010 the recorded number of dogs sheltered in Lancaster is as follows

2010 - 35
    2011 – 40
    2012 – 40
    2013 – 19
    2014 – 54
    2015 – 87
    2016 – 80
    2017 – 105 (Jean Karn becomes DCO)
    2017 – 135
    2018 – 141 at present

In my opinion, the Dog Control department is one of the most self-sufficient departments in town – regarding revenue receipts vs. operational costs. It could be better had the town performed a dog census as promised a few years ago, and which never came to fruition. There are 5,600 licensed dogs and an estimated 10,000+ unlicensed dogs in town. That’s a lot of lost revenue. One should also be concerned whether those unlicensed dogs are seeing a vet to ensure rabbi shots are up to date, especially with the increase in dog bite reports.

Examining the DCO activity report for 2019:

Complaints or Calls Received: 1,966

Call Responded to/Follow-ups: 655

Compliance Notices: 757

Final Notices: 249

Appearance Tickets Issued: 92 Fines Collected: $560.00

Bite Reports Filed: 35

Dogs Redeemed: 91

Rescue Transfers: 8

SPCA Transfers: 3

Dogs Euthanized: 1

Dogs Deceased: 5

Do you believe this activity is covered by the ASPC or shelters? Think again!

Hey Res: Call your Cheektowaga Dog Control Department and tell them they serve no purpose; that you have the SPCA and shelters handling things.

Hey Dan: Go to the SPCA website and discover why there were so few dogs and staff and how they have been impacted by Covid.

Learn how many pets are brought in brutalized / euthanized at these adoption facilities.

In the end, these agencies all provide services and work together to ensure DOG LIVES MATTER!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    The information I provided came from two national media reports from shelter agencies.

I would suggest you and Res research the limited services provided by the ASPC, shelters and rescue adoption agencies and why the need for a municipal Dog Control Operation.

Since 2010 the recorded number of dogs sheltered in Lancaster is as follows

2010 - 35
    2011 – 40
    2012 – 40
    2013 – 19
    2014 – 54
    2015 – 87
    2016 – 80
    2017 – 105 (Jean Karn becomes DCO)
    2017 – 135
    2018 – 141 at present

In my opinion, the Dog Control department is one of the most self-sufficient departments in town – regarding revenue receipts vs. operational costs. It could be better had the town performed a dog census as promised a few years ago, and which never came to fruition. There are 5,600 licensed dogs and an estimated 10,000+ unlicensed dogs in town. That’s a lot of lost revenue. One should also be concerned whether those unlicensed dogs are seeing a vet to ensure rabbi shots are up to date, especially with the increase in dog bite reports.

Examining the DCO activity report for 2019:

Complaints or Calls Received: 1,966

Call Responded to/Follow-ups: 655

Compliance Notices: 757

Final Notices: 249

Appearance Tickets Issued: 92 Fines Collected: $560.00

Bite Reports Filed: 35

Dogs Redeemed: 91

Rescue Transfers: 8

SPCA Transfers: 3

Dogs Euthanized: 1

Dogs Deceased: 5

Do you believe this activity is covered by the ASPC or shelters? Think again!

Hey Res: Call your Cheektowaga Dog Control Department and tell them they serve no purpose; that you have the SPCA and shelters handling things.

Hey Dan: Go to the SPCA website and discover why there were so few dogs and staff and how they have been impacted by Covid.

Learn how many pets are brought in brutalized / euthanized at these adoption facilities.

In the end, these agencies all provide services and work together to ensure DOG LIVES MATTER!

The numbers for dogs “sheltered” , are then reclaimed if they were lost/ ran away from owner? And after how much time, an hour , 2 hours, a day?

Why does each town need its own?

I’m familiar with the spca, they do a fine job, they are not taking any owner surrenders during all the covid bs, but are still responding to calls.

and what are you referring to re brutalized/euthanized ?

The numbers for dogs “sheltered” , are then reclaimed if they were lost/ ran away from owner? And after how much time, an hour , 2 hours, a day?

Why does each town need its own?

I’m familiar with the spca, they do a fine job, they are not taking any owner surrenders during all the covid bs, but are still responding to calls.

and what are you referring to re brutalized/euthanized ?
    Abused, sheltered for only a short period of time and euthanized if not adopted in that time frame.

The SPCA provides a good service but as an independent agency is not bound to accept pets from other agencies and often doesn't.

What calls does the SPCA respond to other than injured or abused dogs?

Abused, sheltered for only a short period of time and euthanized if not adopted in that time frame.

The SPCA provides a good service but as an independent agency is not bound to accept pets from other agencies and often doesn't.

What calls does the SPCA respond to other than injured or abused dogs?
    The spca is non kill unless the dogs aggressive, ex former fighting pit bull.

They have agreements with other towns, get together and have 1 clearinghouse for animals , Spca has trainers, behaviorists on staff to work with new owners. Densely populated towns need some form of dco, to answer calls, Ensure licensing etc, however a new shelter is not required as dogs shouldn’t be there for more than a day. If their owner isnt looking for them then they probably need a new home

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    If their owner isnt looking for them then they probably need a new home
    Here is one thing I thought was odd. How many people in a cheektowaga facebook group I skim seem to have their pets get loose. I'm surprised how many times that happens.

The spca is non kill unless the dogs aggressive, ex former fighting pit bull.

They have agreements with other towns, get together and have 1 clearinghouse for animals , Spca has trainers, behaviorists on staff to work with new owners. Densely populated towns need some form of dco, to answer calls, Ensure licensing etc, however a new shelter is not required as dogs shouldn’t be there for more than a day. If their owner isnt looking for them then they probably need a new home
    NYS Agriculture and Markets

§ 114. Pounds and shelters. 1. Each town and city, and each village in which licenses are issued shall, and any other village and any county may, establish and maintain a pound or shelter for dogs.

2. In lieu of or in addition to establishing and maintaining such pound or .shelter, any town or city, or any village in which licenses are issued shall, and any other village and any county may, contract for pound or shelter services with any other municipality or with any incorporated humane society or similar incorporated dog protective association, or shall establish and maintain, jointly or with one or more other municipalities, a pound or shelter.

Lancaster has maintained its own shelter for decades. The town did attempt to enter into an agreement with the Town of Clarence to share services sometime around 2014. It did not happen. The Walden Ave. brick and mortar building was sold and an inadequate / inefficient 4-kennel shed was built to house dogs seized for myriad reasons and held for redemption, SPCA transfer, rescue transfer, etc. Not one day, but five. For myriad reasons transfers don’t readily take place – primarily because of other shelter availability or contract limitations.

The Town of Lancaster Dog Control Department services the Villages of Lancaster and Depew (Lancaster side) as well. The department provides a 24/7 operation and is need of a new brick & mortar building to replace the undersized / inefficient / inadequate 4-kennel shed. Because the town was awarded a state grant the new facility will cost Lancaster only $77,000 of the estimated $305,000.

Yes, still a lot of taxpayer money, but if the town were to conduct a dog census as it promised several years ago, added the licensing fee revenue from that to that of the 6,000 dogs already licensed, was diligent in pursuing violation fees, etc., the Dog Control Department would become financially near self-sufficient.

When people go back to work, children back to school, IMHO, many recently adopted dogs will be surrendered, abandoned, and worse.

The SPCA is a wonderful organization. It is not the wherewithal to be the county’s gathering and ‘clearinghouse’ some believe it to be,

Lastly, as a lifelong dog owner, it amazes me how little thought is given to volunteers, police, etc. given the task of seizing a dog without any formal dog handling training or proper equipment. One cannot ever be cautious enough in handling a frightened dog acting under duress without fear of being bitten and consequence – especially if the dog is unlicensed and there is no proof of the dog being vaccinated for rabbis.

I respectfully disagree that Lancaster does not need a new shelter, that dogs should be sheltered only one day, that the SPCA and other rescue shelters in place are sufficient, and that animals not adopted within a short period of time are not being euthanized in large numbers.

NYS Agriculture and Markets

§ 114. Pounds and shelters. 1. Each town and city, and each village in which licenses are issued shall, and any other village and any county may, establish and maintain a pound or shelter for dogs.

2. In lieu of or in addition to establishing and maintaining such pound or .shelter, any town or city, or any village in which licenses are issued shall, and any other village and any county may, contract for pound or shelter services with any other municipality or with any incorporated humane society or similar incorporated dog protective association, or shall establish and maintain, jointly or with one or more other municipalities, a pound or shelter.

Lancaster has maintained its own shelter for decades. The town did attempt to enter into an agreement with the Town of Clarence to share services sometime around 2014. It did not happen. The Walden Ave. brick and mortar building was sold and an inadequate / inefficient 4-kennel shed was built to house dogs seized for myriad reasons and held for redemption, SPCA transfer, rescue transfer, etc. Not one day, but five. For myriad reasons transfers don’t readily take place – primarily because of other shelter availability or contract limitations.

The Town of Lancaster Dog Control Department services the Villages of Lancaster and Depew (Lancaster side) as well. The department provides a 24/7 operation and is need of a new brick & mortar building to replace the undersized / inefficient / inadequate 4-kennel shed. Because the town was awarded a state grant the new facility will cost Lancaster only $77,000 of the estimated $305,000.

Yes, still a lot of taxpayer money, but if the town were to conduct a dog census as it promised several years ago, added the licensing fee revenue from that to that of the 6,000 dogs already licensed, was diligent in pursuing violation fees, etc., the Dog Control Department would become financially near self-sufficient.

When people go back to work, children back to school, IMHO, many recently adopted dogs will be surrendered, abandoned, and worse.

The SPCA is a wonderful organization. It is not the wherewithal to be the county’s gathering and ‘clearinghouse’ some believe it to be,

Lastly, as a lifelong dog owner, it amazes me how little thought is given to volunteers, police, etc. given the task of seizing a dog without any formal dog handling training or proper equipment. One cannot ever be cautious enough in handling a frightened dog acting under duress without fear of being bitten and consequence – especially if the dog is unlicensed and there is no proof of the dog being vaccinated for rabbis.

I respectfully disagree that Lancaster does not need a new shelter, that dogs should be sheltered only one day, that the SPCA and other rescue shelters in place are sufficient, and that animals not adopted within a short period of time are not being euthanized in large numbers.
    I respect all of your comments, always well researched. The spca is a “no kill” facility now, which is a nice way to say that they don’t euthanize animals that have been there after say 10 days, but will euthanize dangerous dogs that cannot get along with humans due to prior experiences or just mentally screwed up (like certain people are)

Georgia L Schlager

Not Family Friendly: Dog Breeds

As a lifetime dog owner having had several breeds and experienced behavior with family and friend pets, I found the attached report not only interesting but credible.

You be the judge while keeping in mind that one size doesn't fit all.

https://livestly.com/dog-breeds-that...yBreedsRanked3

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    6-Year-Old Saves Younger Sister From Dog Attack

Here's a nice comment about Mrs Karn and her department employees that I saw on Facebook.
    I recently called upon Lancaster Dog Control for guidance and assistance following a vicious attack on my dog by an unlicensed Staffordshire Terrier. I cannot say enough about the responsiveness and helpfulness of Jean Karn, Sr Dog Control Officer, and her team of concerned associates. They listened, they followed up, they cared – and worked with me from the very beginning to the final court hearing. Thank you, Jean – Lancaster residents are fortunate to have you in our corner.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/201245776595122/permalink/3063312503721754/

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Here's a nice comment about Mrs Karn and her department employees that I saw on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/201245776595122/permalink/3063312503721754/
    Thank you for posting this, Gorga. Some of us don’t have Facebook accounts and Ms. Karn deserves recognition for her outstanding effort in obtaining a state grant to build a new Dog Control facility and in managing its operation.

Of particular concern should be the town’s recent resolution denial of a resolution where any individual appointed to an unsalaried part-time position as Dog Control Officer in the Town of Lancaster Dog Control Department shall be compensated for the actual number of hours worked, except that, in the case of an unscheduled call-in required as a result of a dangerous dog presenting a threat to public safety as determined by the Town of Lancaster Police Department or Dog Control Officer, and also in the case of an unscheduled call-in to care for or feed a dog in Town of Lancaster custody and for court appearances required by their official duties as a Dog Control Officer for the Town of Lancaster, any such individual shall be compensated for the greater of four hours or the actual number of hours worked.

Supervisor Ruffino and councilmember Mazur voted ‘no’ to the resolution voicing approval for compensation of four hours on call-ins for aggressive dogs, but balking on four hours pay for call-ins on feeding dogs and for court appearances, declaring the compensation system could lead to abuse.

Councilmembers Leary and Dickman voted ‘yes’ declaring the call-ins were rare, amount to but a few hundred dollars per year and deemed reasonable as getting a $13 dollar an hour part-time assistant DCO’S to respond late at night or weekends with less than four hours of guaranteed pay was unreasonable.

Situations have occurred where the police have called Dog Control for assistance, where assistant DCO’s would not respond, where Karn was unavailable and a police officer assigned to handle such situations was called in and paid four hours overtime for his service. I believe the police earn a little more than $13 per hour.

The assistant DCO’s are paid $13 per hour, receive no benefits, have no contract, are handling aggressive dogs often not licensed and without proof of rabbi vaccination, enter homes during the Covid pandemic, and are expected to report as call-in back ups for one hour’s pay to feed the dogs? Seriously? At a cost of a few hundred dollars a year to the department and where the department head is requesting the compensation to keep employees from leaving?

Had the town performed the promised dog census of several years ago, increased the licensing revenue by 100% (it is estimated that at least half the dogs in town are unlicensed) and by revenues not realized in court appearance fines, this $200 savings would be laughable – and the Dog Control Department would become the most financially self-sufficient.

Ruffino and Mazur are going to ‘tweak’ the staff scheduling to save the town a few hundred dollars. 168 hours in a week, combined DCO coverage (with DCO Karn) of 128 hours will require some tweaking.

Other

Required reading for Lancaster parents and pet owners as Lancaster may be added to the list.

Erie County to airdrop rabies vaccine during next 2 weeks

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/he...a-c089706e06c6

one question I have...how many court actions were for a dangerous dog???

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Situations have occurred where the police have called Dog Control for assistance, where assistant DCO’s would not respond, where Karn was unavailable and a police officer assigned to handle such situations was called in and paid four hours overtime for his service.

I'll start off by stating that I believe that Mrs Karn does a GREAT job.

But when I read the quote above, I thought it could very easily be construed as the DCO didn't want to go in so her husband called in one of his officers for OT
    Not that that is the way it happened. But it seems that it could be their way of showing that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

This is just an observation looking at it unbiasedly.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information