Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
Where are you getting this information from?

The SPCA still has very few dogs available, had zero a few weeks ago. Also, why would you want your town to spend money on a dog shelter when the SPCA has a brand new facility? Duplication of services at its finest at spending that’s not needed.

The information I provided came from two national media reports from shelter agencies.

I would suggest you and Res research the limited services provided by the ASPC, shelters and rescue adoption agencies and why the need for a municipal Dog Control Operation.

Since 2010 the recorded number of dogs sheltered in Lancaster is as follows

2010 - 35
2011 – 40
2012 – 40
2013 – 19
2014 – 54
2015 – 87
2016 – 80
2017 – 105 (Jean Karn becomes DCO)
2017 – 135
2018 – 141 at present

In my opinion, the Dog Control department is one of the most self-sufficient departments in town – regarding revenue receipts vs. operational costs. It could be better had the town performed a dog census as promised a few years ago, and which never came to fruition. There are 5,600 licensed dogs and an estimated 10,000+ unlicensed dogs in town. That’s a lot of lost revenue. One should also be concerned whether those unlicensed dogs are seeing a vet to ensure rabbi shots are up to date, especially with the increase in dog bite reports.

Examining the DCO activity report for 2019:

Complaints or Calls Received: 1,966

Call Responded to/Follow-ups: 655

Compliance Notices: 757

Final Notices: 249

Appearance Tickets Issued: 92 Fines Collected: $560.00

Bite Reports Filed: 35

Dogs Redeemed: 91

Rescue Transfers: 8

SPCA Transfers: 3

Dogs Euthanized: 1

Dogs Deceased: 5

Do you believe this activity is covered by the ASPC or shelters? Think again!

Hey Res: Call your Cheektowaga Dog Control Department and tell them they serve no purpose; that you have the SPCA and shelters handling things.

Hey Dan: Go to the SPCA website and discover why there were so few dogs and staff and how they have been impacted by Covid.

Learn how many pets are brought in brutalized / euthanized at these adoption facilities.

In the end, these agencies all provide services and work together to ensure DOG LIVES MATTER!