Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog lives matter

It is my understanding that the New York State Companion Animal Capital Project grant the Town of Lancaster applied for is sitting on a desk awaiting the Governor's signature. That may be delayed for some time considering the looming $6.2 billion state deficit and the resources going into the coronavirus pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    It is my understanding that the New York State Companion Animal Capital Project grant the Town of Lancaster applied for is sitting on a desk awaiting the Governor's signature. That may be delayed for some time considering the looming $6.2 billion state deficit and the resources going into the coronavirus pandemic.
    Was Lancaster chosen as one of the recipients?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Was Lancaster chosen as one of the recipients?
    I haven't heard any news of the application being denied and it is long after its review date.

It would be a good idea to ask Supervisor Ruffino on the application status at the next town board meeting.

STATE AGRICULTURE COMMISSIONER ANNOUNCES $4.1 MILLION FOR ANIMAL SHELTERS UNDER THE STATE’S COMPANION ANIMAL CAPITAL FUND

State Agriculture Commissioner Richard A. Ball today announced more than $4.1 million will be provided to 12 animal shelters and humane societies across the state through the New York State Companion Animal Capital Fund. The funding will support construction, renovation and expansion projects that will enhance animal care and health and help ensure adoptions for New York's dogs and cats. This is the third round of the Companion Animal Capital Fund, the first state-funded program in the nation to support critical improvement projects at animal shelters.

Funded in the 2019-20 State Budget, the Companion Animal Capital Fund provides matching grants to shelters and humane societies to offset the costs associated with capital projects such as renovating dog kennels, improving medical facilities, or building more efficient shelters to reduce overall operational costs. Funds are also used to construct, renovate, rehabilitate, or acquire buildings or equipment needed to house, treat, and care for sheltered dogs and cats. Since the launch of the program, the State has dedicated $15 million to 40 projects.

Competitive grants were awarded to shelters based on need and the readiness of projects. The following shelters are receiving an award in this round of the program.

Western New York

• Town of Marilla (Marilla, Erie County): $94,070 for a new building with separate runs, install non-porous material in kennels and access to the outside area, a new HVAC system, lighting, heated flooring, and a new isolation area.

Town of Lancaster (Lancaster, Erie County): $228,750 to support a new building with epoxy flooring, new kennels, new drains, a new HVAC system, floor sink, exercise yard, and garage.

Great. Thank you Lee

Georgia L Schlager

When reading the Lancaster Sun report on the town’s building a new dog shelter, I was well aware and wrote on the state grant award, the amount of funding to be received, the town’s share of the expense (25% of $305,000) and what was going into the construction of the shelter.

What was added in the report was noteworthy:

The concern expressed by Supervisor Ronald Ruffino and Doc Control Officer Jean Karn was the possible delay of construction because of the Covid-19 crisis. Kudos to both for their commitment and involvement.

The dire need of the shelter because the four-kennel shed is (was) deficient in size / equipment and poorly constructed to house dogs safely. “This needed to happen five or six years ago,” stated Karn in the Sun report.

What was missing in the report

The four-kennel shed was deficient in construction from day 0ne and was not considered a temporary build by the town until two years ago when DCO Karn and several residents addressed the town board on the deficiencies of the dog facility.

Two years ago the town had an opportunity to pursue the same grant and shamefully failed to complete the grant application for submittal. The shelter would have been up and running in 2019.

What is most puzzling is how a shelter constructed with so many deficiencies managed to pass annual State Agriculture and Markets Shelter inspections – especially when the DCO Karn was not present at times when the inspection was conducted.

Lee:

I appreciate your interest in the new dog shelter and keeping us up to date on the activity of the grant.

I'd like to clarify a few things...

The four-kennel shed was deficient in construction from day 0ne and was not considered a temporary build by the town until two years ago when DCO Karn and several residents addressed the town board on the deficiencies of the dog facility....What is most puzzling is how a shelter constructed with so many deficiencies managed to pass annual State Agriculture and Markets Shelter inspections – especially when the DCO Karn was not present at times when the inspection was conducted.
    The current shelter, while deemed deficient by our current DCO, has never failed a inspection by the government agency that oversees every dog shelter in NYS. You stated as much. So how can it be deemed deficient from day one? It has only been deemed deficient by our current DCO who has desired a larger complex. Furthermore, it was built with the cooperation of our DCO's at the time and they had had no concerns that weren't addressed.

Two years ago the town had an opportunity to pursue the same grant and shamefully failed to complete the grant application for submittal. The shelter would have been up and running in 2019.
    The town did fervently pursue the grant and I have repeatedly explained why it didn't go any further. I personally spent dozens of hours in meetings, calls and emails to try and get it done. Our town supervisor, town engineer and grant writer also spent a considerable amount of time working on it. It is a shame that our DCO dept didn't provide the information that was requested repeatedly for months. I have already supplied the emails that back this up both at a town board meeting as well as on another thread here.

I appreciate and share your interest in the new dog shelter but trying to rewrite or twist the historic record is not needed.

As for holding up the grant due to the pandemic, I thought it was a reimbursement grant, wasn't it? If that is the case, there is no need to hold up construction as long as we have confirmation of the grant award. By the time we are done building in 3-6 months, things should be back to normal and the grant will be awarded.

Matt

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The current shelter, while deemed deficient by our current DCO, has never failed a inspection by the government agency that oversees every dog shelter in NYS. You stated as much. So how can it be deemed deficient from day one? It has only been deemed deficient by our current DCO who has desired a larger complex. Furthermore, it was built with the cooperation of our DCO's at the time and they had had no concerns that weren't addressed.
    The larger it becomes the more it ends up costing. MaddMatt is correct. If it's past inspections that is what counts.

Another thing I notice is people tend to over build what is truly needed when it's someone else's money.

Are there any town buildings an addition could be added?

Do it in the property owners best interest not some "vision" of what someone thinks it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
    Lee:

I appreciate your interest in the new dog shelter and keeping us up to date on the activity of the grant.

I'd like to clarify a few things...

The town did fervently pursue the grant and I have repeatedly explained why it didn't go any further. I personally spent dozens of hours in meetings, calls and emails to try and get it done. Our town supervisor, town engineer and grant writer also spent a considerable amount of time working on it. It is a shame that our DCO dept didn't provide the information that was requested repeatedly for months. I have already supplied the emails that back this up both at a town board meeting as well as on another thread here.

I appreciate and share your interest in the new dog shelter but trying to rewrite or twist the historic record is not needed.

As for holding up the grant due to the pandemic, I thought it was a reimbursement grant, wasn't it? If that is the case, there is no need to hold up construction as long as we have confirmation of the grant award. By the time we are done building in 3-6 months, things should be back to normal and the grant will be awarded.

Matt
    Matt, thank you for clarifying that

Georgia L Schlager

Maddmatt wrote:

The current shelter, while deemed deficient by our current DCO, has never failed an inspection by the government agency that oversees every dog shelter in NYS. You stated as much. So how can it be deemed deficient from day one? It has only been deemed deficient by our current DCO who has desired a larger complex. Furthermore, it was built with the cooperation of our DCO's at the time and they had had no concerns that weren't addressed.
    On November 30, 2018, I posted:

• Lastly, it was comforting to read that Ag & Markets found the shelter and program operation adequate (9/28/18) – no flags, eh?

On November 20, 2018, Resident Debbie Lemaster spoke on deplorable conditions existing at the town’s 4-kennel dog shelter (shed) and the need for the town to pursue the state grant available at that time.

• Considering the Animal Health Inspector review took place on 11/15/18 which is the time period that the shelter floor and walls were being chewed through by the dogs it is interesting that no flags were noted.

But, no deficiencies noted, no red flags noted at inspection time? Strange, eh?

Me thinks thou protests too much! There is no twisting of the historic record here. The bottom line here is that the grant for the shelter application was never submitted. DCO Jean Karn took office in June 2017 and that very year informed the town of a state grant application for funding assistance in building a brick & mortar dog shelter. That application sat on the Supervisor’s desk. In June of 2018, Karn again requested the town board apply for the 2018 grant.

Six months later you claim the Supervisor, grant writer, town engineer and you have been diligently working to complete the application but that Karn has been remiss in providing information. What information? She was new to the game, was she truly provided guidance by the town in attaining the information needed. It is the town that applies for the application, not Karn. While being praised for all the good work she was doing, she is the one found deficient and guilty of blowing the grant and building a new facility? The same individual who last night was commended By Supervisor Ruffino for her commitment and dedication in getting the 2020 grant application approved?

The shelter was constructed to be a ‘temporary shelter’. Karn was not the DCO when the shelter was built. The then DCO did complain about shelter deficiencies. From day-one on the job Karn spoke on the shelter (shed) deficiencies and petitioned to have a new shelter built with state grant assistance. The deficiencies in 2018 were well written on ad nauseum. Those are historical facts, not spin. If it makes you feel better, the entire town board sat on its hands in 2018 and let Karn take the hit.

Ah, with the pandemic taking place, is there assurance that the grant funds will be dispersed. Will the Governor’s budget cut-back plan have an impact on the grant confirmation and dispersal?

Should the town not receive the 2020 grant, the 2019 debacle looms large as the town could already have a new dog shelter in operation.
    Tired of the double-speak and political BS, Matt – like the promise of a dog census and enforcement of dog licensing. The Dog Control Department would become, by far, the most self-sufficient operation in town.

It was good to hear Town Engineer Ed Schiller report that Lancaster’s dog shelter application has been completed and approved by the State. The application now sits on the Governor’s desk awaiting his signature.

Hopefully, the associated expenses related to the Covid-19 crisis will not impact its approval. The town is all in well understanding the need for this shelter and especially at this time of crisis.

Shelter cost - $305,000

State Grant – $228,750
    Town - $76,250

It is my understanding that the Governor has approved the dog shelter grant application and the town should be good to go on implementing construction.

The town is in dire need of a shelter befitting the town and with the increasing number of reported dog bite instances and lack of ability to separate such dogs from the general population. Hope Supervisor Ruffino brings this up at tonight's town board meeting committee report.

Kudos to DCO Karn for getting this much needed project going and to Supervisor Ruffino for his effort in making it happen.

Owners abandoning pets

The COVID-19 pandemic has forced pet owners to part with their animals because they are no longer able to properly nurture and care for them, numerous animal shelter operators are telling us.

The sanctuaries are not only rescuing an increased but noting that many of them of them were subjected to severe abuse and had been outright abandoned.

“We have definitely noticed there were a lot more dogs dumped as well, and a lot more dogs handed in because people just couldn’t manage financially and of course that [the current economic climate] makes it difficult for fundraising as well,” notes one shelter.

Unfortunately, we are reading of numerous like situations; situations worsened by families adopting pets for companionship and distraction to lessen the hardship of the pandemic stay-at-home mandate.

Families who little understood the maintenance cost or time and effort required to raise and nurture a pet that should have been welcomed as a family member, not a toy or a distraction.

Hopefully, with the recent state grant COMPANION ANIMAL CAPITAL FUND approval Lancaster will soon begin the design and construction of a new 8-kennel shelter facility to replace the woefully inadequate 4-kennel facility it now operates to accommodate for a like crisis coming – especially considering the increase in dog bite cases being reported.

Owners abandoning pets

The COVID-19 pandemic has forced pet owners to part with their animals because they are no longer able to properly nurture and care for them, numerous animal shelter operators are telling us.

The sanctuaries are not only rescuing an increased but noting that many of them of them were subjected to severe abuse and had been outright abandoned.

“We have definitely noticed there were a lot more dogs dumped as well, and a lot more dogs handed in because people just couldn’t manage financially and of course that [the current economic climate] makes it difficult for fundraising as well,” notes one shelter.

Unfortunately, we are reading of numerous like situations; situations worsened by families adopting pets for companionship and distraction to lessen the hardship of the pandemic stay-at-home mandate.

Families who little understood the maintenance cost or time and effort required to raise and nurture a pet that should have been welcomed as a family member, not a toy or a distraction.

Hopefully, with the recent state grant COMPANION ANIMAL CAPITAL FUND approval Lancaster will soon begin the design and construction of a new 8-kennel shelter facility to replace the woefully inadequate 4-kennel facility it now operates to accommodate for a like crisis coming – especially considering the increase in dog bite cases being reported.

Where are you getting this information from?

The SPCA still has very few dogs available, had zero a few weeks ago. Also, why would you want your town to spend money on a dog shelter when the SPCA has a brand new facility? Duplication of services at its finest at spending that’s not needed.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    Where are you getting this information from?

The SPCA still has very few dogs available, had zero a few weeks ago. Also, why would you want your town to spend money on a dog shelter when the SPCA has a brand new facility? Duplication of services at its finest at spending that’s not needed.
    Valid point. I really don't know why the town of Cheektowaga has a dog shelter when there are volunteer groups including the SPCA.

Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information