Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog lives matter

Free at last

Town Attorney Tom Fowler has issued a decree that authorizes the surrender custody of Andrea White’s six dogs to the town. The dogs have been in custody at Lancaster’s dog control department since mid-July.

At an October 13 court hearing Ms. White was ordered to provide a security deposit of $5,000 by October 24th to cover current shelter and vet bills. Failure to comply will result in dogs surrendered to town custody. Andrea White failed to meet the security deposit obligation by October 24th.

The dog control department has already been in contact with rescue agencies to find forever homes for the six dogs.

Kudos to Mr. Fowler for finally making this happen. Although the dogs were in a better environment than under the custody of Ms. White, 4 months in a shelter kennel puts undue stress on any animal.

Undue stress is also put on the department to maintain kennel space for six dogs while attempting to house other animals seized. Fortunately, the dog control department has the ability to use the former dog shed shelter. But that did not provide enough shelter space a few weeks ago when the department had 11 dogs in its possession and had to keep several dogs in cages in the garage. Using the shed is not always a viable option, especially when aggressive dogs are present.

It's time to move on and address the tasks to meet shelter compliance guidelines, close out the project, and receive the funds from the NYS Animal Companion grant petitioned for years ago.

Nyxxi larceny and animal cruelty case adjourned again

"Good evening everyone! I spoke with the DA this morning who informed me that tomorrow’s court appearance will be adjourned due to needing to get a statement from the Vet that examined Nyxxi the night of the rescue. The 2 charges of petit larceny and animal cruelty will both be pressed. They are both misdemeanor crimes in NY. Nyxxi is in very good health and thank you for your continued support!"

Keith Linkner (FB)

August 2022 WIVB report

A Lancaster woman is facing grand larceny charges after police say she was holding 11 dogs captive in her home. At least one of the dogs has serious injuries.

Keith Linkner hired Andrea White to watch his dog Nyxxi for two weeks while he was out of town for work. He said he vetted her before dropping off Nyxxi at White’s house on July 18. “I asked her a bunch of questions regarding her background, she informed me she was a licensed vet tech and she had years of experience watching dogs,” Linkner said.

He said when he tried to arrange a time to pick up Nyxxi, White made excuses as to why she couldn’t meet. Three weeks into the stay, Linkner said White told him she was in a car accident and Nyxxi ran away.

He said he started looking for Nyxxi with the help of Sherlock Bones Lost ‘N Hound Dog Recovery and No Paws Left Behind. When things weren’t adding up, he called Lancaster police. Lieutenant Jonathan Ziders said detectives investigated and eventually received information that allowed them to execute a search warrant at the house Wednesday night. They not only found Nyxxi, but also several other dogs.

“We located several dogs in the home as well as the suspect. At that point she was taken into custody and charged with, at this time, grand larceny,” said Lieutenant Ziders. “11 of the dogs was removed and some of them were brought back here others were taken to other local dog controls.” *

Nyxxi has a broken arm, missing teeth, and open wounds on her neck, which Linkner said the vet told him is from being tied up with a rope. Linkner said Nyxxi will need her leg amputated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Nyxxi larceny and animal cruelty case adjourned again

"Good evening everyone! I spoke with the DA this morning who informed me that tomorrow’s court appearance will be adjourned due to needing to get a statement from the Vet that examined Nyxxi the night of the rescue. The 2 charges of petit larceny and animal cruelty will both be pressed. They are both misdemeanor crimes in NY. Nyxxi is in very good health and thank you for your continued support!"

Keith Linkner (FB)

August 2022 WIVB report

A Lancaster woman is facing grand larceny charges after police say she was holding 11 dogs captive in her home. At least one of the dogs has serious injuries.

Keith Linkner hired Andrea White to watch his dog Nyxxi for two weeks while he was out of town for work. He said he vetted her before dropping off Nyxxi at White’s house on July 18. “I asked her a bunch of questions regarding her background, she informed me she was a licensed vet tech and she had years of experience watching dogs,” Linkner said.

He said when he tried to arrange a time to pick up Nyxxi, White made excuses as to why she couldn’t meet. Three weeks into the stay, Linkner said White told him she was in a car accident and Nyxxi ran away.

He said he started looking for Nyxxi with the help of Sherlock Bones Lost ‘N Hound Dog Recovery and No Paws Left Behind. When things weren’t adding up, he called Lancaster police. Lieutenant Jonathan Ziders said detectives investigated and eventually received information that allowed them to execute a search warrant at the house Wednesday night. They not only found Nyxxi, but also several other dogs.

“We located several dogs in the home as well as the suspect. At that point she was taken into custody and charged with, at this time, grand larceny,” said Lieutenant Ziders. “11 of the dogs was removed and some of them were brought back here others were taken to other local dog controls.” *

Nyxxi has a broken arm, missing teeth, and open wounds on her neck, which Linkner said the vet told him is from being tied up with a rope. Linkner said Nyxxi will need her leg amputated.
    It takes over 3 months to get a statement from a vet? Ridiculous

Georgia L Schlager

Dog shelter status

At last night’s town board meeting, by a vote of 4-1 (Supervisor Ruffino lone no vote) a resolution was passed to approve a $9,2632 dog shelter change order to complete tasks required by the NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets during their inspection on April 20, 2022 which included: correcting sloping on Kennel floors, adding a dog wash station with water and sanitary connection in garage, addition of Hose Bib in garage for hot water, and raising floor tub in Kennel area.

Unable to attend town board meetings because of health-related issues, I submitted an email correspondence to town reps and had an individual present the same written concerns / questions in my name at the prefile resolution public comment session:

I would appreciate the town board and consulting Town Engineer Ed Schiller address the following concerns / questions at town board meetings that I and many others have and seek clarification.

At tonight’s town board meeting Resolution #21 approves Change Order No. 5 from MGR Constructors, Inc., with respect to the outlined description provided to the Town Board by the Town’s Consulting Engineer’s letter dated July 13, 2022:

The increase represents the tasks required by the NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets during their inspection on April 20, 2022, which included: correcting sloping on Kennel floors, adding a dog wash station with water and sanitary connection in garage, addition of Hose Bib in garage for hot water, and raising floor tub in Kennel area.

Questions:

Have all tasks been completed?

Why eight months to complete the tasks required by NYS Ag & Markets in April of 2022?

Were any of the tasks assigned by Ag & Markets to be completed in April removed from the specifications submitted to the state in 2020? Removed in the ‘value engineered’ contract agreement with MGR Construction and the reason we are paying for materials and workmanship we shouldn’t be.

Other Shelter Related Questions:

We have been told for months by the town that shelter project was near closing and that the $225,000 NYS Animal Companion grant fund would be released to the town. The $225,000 would be used to offset the July 5th, 2021, $485,000 Capital Improvement Bond to construct the new dog shelter.

Last week, NYS Ag & Market representatives visited and inspected the shelter along with DCO Karn and Town Engineer Schiller. The Ag & Market reps have yet to issue a report but made their dissatisfaction known that the kennel fencing was rusting, there was drainage sanitary issues, there was no ventilation system in place and opening windows was not an alternate option, and one kennel floor slope was yet unaddressed. If these are additional issues to be corrected, at whose cost? It is clearly stated in the July 19, 2021, MGR contract bid award and the resolution approved by all board members at the time (Supervisor Ruffino voting ‘no’):

BE IT FURTHER, RESOLVED, that the Town Board of the Town of Lancaster hereby approves Change Order No. 1 to MGR Constructors, Inc, with respect to the outlined description provided to the Town Board which has been certified by engineer Edward Schiller, to contain no material changes: DESCRIPTION OF CHANGE ORDER NO. 1: The original contract amount was based on an estimated quantity/quality for items included for construction. This is the adjustment to reflect the proposed changes for those bid items.

A ventilation system was included in the original shelter construction design. When was it removed? Who authorized its removal? Did it happen during the ‘value engineered’ contract negotiations and decreased bid sum with MGR? Were other contractors offered the same opportunity to rebid the project?

It appears the kennel fencing is rusting because it is not stainless steel, but galvanized steel. Was stainless recommended in the original specifications.

Is there a Maintenance Bond in place? For how long?

Where does one go or FOIL to compare building specifications between original and MGR ‘value engineered’ contract specifications?

This is the fifth change order and takes the project cost to $499,323. $15,000 over the $485,000 the town bonded for the project. Near $200,000 over the estimated $305,000 project cost estimation submitted to NYS Ag & Markets for Animal Companion fund grant petition - which amounted to $225,000: the town’s portion $80,000.

The town’s project cost obligation is now $275,000. Had the town submitted a request for the allowable grant max of $500,000, its project cost obligation would have been $125,000 (25%). A $150,000 blunder from the get-go and thereafter, where no one is being held accountable for.

Thank you for allowing me to voice my concerns and requesting the board give clarification to the concerns voiced and giving some idea as to closure date.

Lee Chowaniec
    Lancaster, NY

Town Engineer addresses dog shelter at pre-meeting Work Session

Prior to the regular meeting, before my comments were presented to the town board, Town Engineer Ed Schiller addressed board on the dog shelter:

Ag & Markets were out last week; their second visit. The reason they were here was to make sure the floor was corrected, they dumped water on it, filmed it and said, “yep, that’s the way we expect it to operate,” checked off the other stuff they had on their check list.

The small area in kennel six was out of square, and some of the re-galvanizing work we did on the welds were rusting. We couldn’t get in to do the work because dogs were still in the kennels. Most of them are gone now so we can get in and start doing the work.

Mikala from Ag & Markets said to go ahead and do the final submittal. So, I am going to draft to her and make sure it’s correct. Once that goes in the state will send in the reimbursement, a check to the town.

Councilmember Leary: What’s going on with the HVAC in there?

Schiller: The grant calls for two HVAC systems, hating ventilation and air conditioning. They were in. We were out there. Jean (DCO Karn) said that there was humidity and stuff*. Mikala suggested a fan and I agreed. The fan on the thermostat has an auto setting which goes on-and-off with the heat transfer, and an on setting which means constant operation and circulates air. I put it on the on position and we will see what that does. From a humidity perspective, if it’s that humid we can always get a room dehumidifier. But I want to see how the system fans are going to work. I turned both system fans on even though the one is not in the kennel area. The system was designed to bring in fresh air.

Comment

Schiller was the only member to speak on the status of the dog shelter. Nothing from Dog Control Committee Chair Burkard or Committee members Ruffino and Mazur. Schiller believes closure is at hand, crickets from the town board.

*Stuff: dog waste odor that permeates the entire facility.

What ever happened to Nyxxi?

I don’t have a Facebook account and not privy to social media information.

Is Nyxxi doing well? There is a court date set for February 7, 2023. Has the vet report come in? Will the County’s DA Department request another delay? Will Andrea White be found guilty of larceny* and animal abuse? Is Andrea White even it town?

*Lancaster police arrest woman on felony charge after finding 7 stolen dogs. Andrea White of Lancaster was charged with fourth-degree grand larceny, a felony, and additional charges could be forthcoming, according to a news release from the Lancaster Police Department.

What is the status of the new dog shelter?

No reports from the Town Engineer, the Dog Control Committee, or from the NYS Ag & Markets.

What tasks need to be completed before the project can be closed out and the town receives the $225,000 grant fund from the state. We were promised the project would be closed out late last summer.

The offensive odor issue in the building continues. Town Engineer Ed Schiller claimed a few months ago the issue would be resolved by him turning on a fan in the heat-cool system – a switch that the department didn’t know existed. Apparently that did not resolve the odor issue. A ventilation system is needed. Is one being pursued? Wasn’t it included in the building’s original design and grant petition?

Considering the town and we taxpayers are paying interest on the $465,000 Bond Anticipation Note (BAN), don’t you think we deserve a status report from the town on a regular basis?

BTW – as of last week there were 4 dogs housed at the shelter – 3 extremely aggressive. The staffing remains at two full-time DCO’s and a caretaker. The department has been unable to get another full-time DCO. It’s difficult to get someone to work a job with it’s responsibilities and hazards for $16/hr.

Dog lives matter, right? Apparently, not to everyone!

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec;
    What ever happened to Nyxxi?

I don’t have a Facebook account and not privy to social media information.

Is Nyxxi doing well? There is a court date set for February 7, 2023. Has the vet report come in? Will the County’s DA Department request another delay? Will Andrea White be found guilty of larceny* and animal abuse? Is Andrea White even it town?
    In mid-December, Nyxxi's owner posted that he was paying for adoption fees for two white dogs that Andrea White surrendered. He did not mention how Nyxxi was.

Georgia L Schlager

Keep your furry friends safe this winter
    Bee Editorial – James Sinner

During the winter months people wear warmer clothes, change their routine and take extra precautions to ensure they stay safe and warm as the temperature drops. While it is important to be mindful of ways to keep you, your friends and family safe this winter, it is imperative to keep in mind that your household pets need extra precautions taken this winter as well.

If you are taking your pet outside for a walk and they have short fur, it is important to bundle them up with a warm pet coat, leg warmers or booties to protect them from the cold. You may need to take abbreviated trips outside if you notice your furry friend lifting their paws or shivering.

With the increased use of salt during this time of year it is important to remember that salt and other chemicals used to melt snow and ice can irritate a pet’s paws. When bringing your pet back indoors you should wipe their paws with a damp towel before they lick them and irritate their mouth.

Another chemical to be wary of and keep far from your pet’s reach is antifreeze. While it is important to have in stock during the cold months, antifreeze is a deadly poison. Wipe up spills thoroughly and immediately and store it out of reach.

While some animals stay outside in the winter, you should consider bringing them indoors, or if that is not possible, ensuring they have a dry, warm outdoor enclosure that blocks wind and precipitation. You want to make sure the enclosure is large enough for the animal to sit or lay down but small enough that it helps retain their body heat and keep them warm.

Some good tips from the Humane Society of the United States include raising the floor a few inches off the ground and covering it with cedar shavings or straw, as well as turning the enclosure away from the wind and covering the doorway with waterproof burlap or heavy plastic. It is also important to make sure they have access to plenty of food and water that is not frozen. While outdoor animals mostly include livestock, for any pet or animal staying outdoors this winter you should do periodic checks to see if they need anything, are warm enough and to make sure that their food and water are not blocked by ice, snowdrifts or other obstacles.

Your pets are members of your family that depend on you to keep them safe, warm, happy and healthy this winter. Amid all the extra boxes to tick, precautions to take and errands to run, do not forget to look out for your furry friends and follow these simple steps to keep them warm and safe this winter.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Keep your furry friends safe this winter
    You know what I noticed on facebook?. The amount of pets that get loose from their homes.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    You know what I noticed on facebook?. The amount of pets that get loose from their homes.
    Yes sometimes it's the same ones over and over again. There's 2 German shepherds in the Genesee/Transit area that are always getting loose.

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    When we had dogs if either got loose on my watch I would be afraid to go home until I found them.

The silence is deafening!

The Lancaster Town Board has canceled the meeting currently scheduled for February 21, 2023, without scheduling another. The next scheduled meeting likely will not occur until March 6, 2023.

Another month without any town board reports on the status of the new dog control facility regarding:

Shelter Project Status

Informed last summer that the project was near completion, it was not, failing to meet an NYS Ag & Market inspection and assigned several completions of several tasks before distribution of $228,750 of awarded grant funding.

A later inspection by NYS Ag & Market representatives discovered some tasks were not completed to meet their award guidelines and the grant funds remained undistributed. That was several months ago and there have been no town reports in the past few months indicating whether all corrective action has been taken to close out the project, receive the NYS Animal Companion grant funding, and move the $228,750 to reduce the $465,000 bond the town took out to construct the shelter.

The silence on the part of all involved parties has misled some to believe the project has been completed and will soon be closed out. If that were true why no town board reports indicating so.

November 25, 2019 - Resolution approved to apply for NYS COMPANION ANIMAL CAPITAL PROJECTS Grant.

January 2020 – formal resolution submitting application.

March 2020 - Lancaster awarded grant.
    Town of Lancaster (Lancaster, Erie County): $228,750 to support a new building with epoxy flooring, new kennels, new drains, a new HVAC system, floor sink, exercise yard, and garage. Lancaster will contribute $76,250 toward construction costs.

June 2021 – Construction delayed because lowest construction bid comes in at $600,000 (MGR Construction).

July 7, 2022 - At the July 7th Town Board meeting, the town adopts resolution to bond $485,000 (Capitol Improvement Project Bond) for the construction of a new six kennel dog shelter. (Cost to town now $256,000, not $76,250)

July 19, 2021 - construction bid for the new Lancaster Dog Shelter awarded to MGR Constructors for $485,000. (Value added contract agreement between MGR & town)

July 5, 2022 - Dog Control Committee Chair Mark Burkard promised at the July 5th town board meeting two resolutions would be on the July 14th town board meeting that would close out the new dog shelter project.

February 12, 2023 - ????

Other

Ventilation

A strong foul odor continues to permeate the building. We were told by the town engineer he had resolved the problem. What is going on. It’s been months since the correction was made. Crickets!

Nyxxi / Andrea White

I understand the February Nyxxi animal abuse court hearing has been again scheduled for a March court hearing, and that the charge has been lowered to a misdemeanor. ????

How is Nyxxi?

What did the housing and care of White’s seized dogs cost the town? Last I heard it was estimated at $8,000.

New Assistant DCO Hiring

The town hired a part-time Assistant DCO at the last meeting. What will this individuals hours and responsibilities be. The Dog Control Department is short of help and the town approved the hiring of a third full time DCO – which would cover all shifts and animal care, even on weekends. The DCO has advertised to fill that position and has had no success. Why?

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    The Lancaster Town Board has canceled the meeting currently scheduled for February 21, 2023, without scheduling another. The next scheduled meeting likely will not occur until March 6, 2023.
    RULES OF ORDER
    TOWN BOARD
    TOWN OF LANCASTER

RULE 1 REGULAR SESSION

Regular sessions of the Town Board of the Town of Lancaster shall be held on the first and
    third Monday of each month at 7 P.M., at the Lancaster Town Hall, 21 Central Avenue,
    Lancaster, New York, unless said first or third Monday is a legal holiday, in which event said
    regular session shall be held on the following business day. Each regular session and all
    adjourned sessions shall be open for the consideration of any matter which, in accordance
    with these rules, may be properly brought to the attention of the Town Board.

Regular Meetings of the Town Board shall be preceded by a work session at 6:30 P.M.
    Nothing is said about cancelling a meeting and not rescheduling it.
    They could have scheduled a meeting on the 27th and then the regular March meeting the following week on the 6th.

Georgia L Schlager

Doing the right thing when surrendering a dog

Dog lives do matter! Abandoning a dog on the street is unconscionable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z2tsszukDc

I heard about a 16 year old Maltese who slid into a backyard pond in Lancaster.
    The dog was pulled out of the water right away but must have died of shock.
    I hope people are careful with their dogs who have creeks or ponds behind their house.
    The poor pooches can't get traction.

Georgia L Schlager

In the March 9, 2023, Lancaster Bee edition Lancaster Supervisor Ronald Ruffino used his personal column to report on the State of the Town and its accomplishments he presented to the Chamber of Commerce.

He declared that the Town was awarded numerous grants, one of which is the NYS Department of Agriculture & Markets Animal Companion grant for $228,750; 75% of the cost to construct the town’s new animal shelter on Pavement Road. Note: was awarded, not awaiting contract.

Did the Supervisor misspeak? Hold back information from town board members? From the Town Engineer?

No Dog Control reports on the status of the shelter have been given by Town Engineer Ed Schiller, Dog Control Committee Chair Mark Burkard, or the Supervisor regarding tasks to be completed before project close-out, any report by the town that Ag & Markets determined satisfaction with the town’s report, or the issuance of grant funds.

Fencing erosion issues and kennel floor repair remain, the awful fetid air smell continues from absence of a ventilation system. Ag & Markets is okay with this?

The public, staff, and dogs deserve a status report from either the Supervisor, Town Engineer, or Dog Control Committee Chair at the next town board meeting. The taxpayer deserves to know why a project close-out promised in July oy 2022 remains un-closed and why the cost to the taxpayer has increased from $76,000 to $195,000; and with more to come.

Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread Information