Thread: The Public

Tony Fracasso - Admin

The Public

The Public is WNY’s alternative newspaper, offering an honest and entertaining look at a fast-changing region and the whole spectrum of its culture.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So they ran out of money to have a printed paper.

I wonder how much the print cost is for 30,000 papers. That is a lot of cups of coffee.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I see Alan put his two cents in

Not to be a prick but I'm gonna anyways...

Hey Alan.

"And #1%2 idiotic and illegal tariffs" on Canadian newsprint that helped precipitate this"

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/29/b...newsprint.html

WASHINGTON — The United States International Trade Commission on Wednesday overturned a Trump administration decision to impose tariffs on Canadian newsprint, saying that American paper producers are not harmed by newsprint imports.
    The unanimous decision by the five-member body eliminates tariffs that have been in effect since January, handing a win to small and medium-size newspapers, which have struggled to absorb the cost of higher newsprint and have made cuts, including layoffs, as a result.
    The Commerce Department imposed tariffs as high as 20 percent on newsprint from Canada after North Pacific Paper Company, a paper mill in Washington State, filed a complaint alleging that subsidies the Canadian government provides to its manufacturers put American paper companies at a disadvantage.
    While the tariff ruling offers a reprieve to newspapers, publishers say it may not result in jobs coming back or pages being restored. Instead, it probably just accelerated cost-cutting that would have eventually occurred anyway, given the industry’s declining readership and revenue.

When did tariffs become illegal?

isnt it environmentally unfriendly to print papers? They should become online subscription and ad based, much more eco friendly

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Valid point.

I hate to see anyone go out of business.

What precipitated it is that the paper and Artvoice are crap. They survive on the existence of the classifieds which appeal pretty much only to sexual weirdos. I suppose if both fail, the faithful will have to back to hanging out in public toilets at the bus station and the library.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Maybe they should wrap it up, keep the online presence and talk to the Buffalo News. The news can add a local writer type section to compliment what they have now on Sundays. If would give the news some more content and some real wacked out view points. The News already has a sales force and it would give them something more to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Maybe they should wrap it up, keep the online presence and talk to the Buffalo News. The news can add a local writer type section to compliment what they have now on Sundays. If would give the news some more content and some real wacked out view points. The News already has a sales force and it would give them something more to sell.
    One would have to look long and hard to find more whacked out viewpoints than those of Rod Watson or Douglas Turner. Anyone who thinks fake news is a recent development need only go back and read Greiner and Hedrick’s review of Turner’s work against the development of the Amherst campus of UB. He was a proponent of the “city campus “ location...the one that would’ve been bisected by the 190 and a railroad track, would’ve devastated LaSalle Park, would’ve displaced about 6000 city residents and required condemnation of hundreds of properties, would’ve required filling part of the Black Rock canal.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Bunch the group together. They would compliment each other.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    What precipitated it is that the paper and Artvoice are crap. They survive on the existence of the classifieds which appeal pretty much only to sexual weirdos. I suppose if both fail, the faithful will have to back to hanging out in public toilets at the bus station and the library.
    Maybe you know a bit too much about these things after seeing the end of this comment, grump, but when The Public came into existence they refused such sleazy ads and voiced their opposition of the exploitation they represent. And they said it cheapens newspapers anyway.

You stand corrected!

Breezy, thanks for the correction. One thing you can’t correct is that The Public and Artvoice are crap, pure and simple. I can’t imagine a way in which either of these handfuls of horse**** could be cheapened beyond their current state. As for hanging out in public toilets I leave that to Democrats; seems to be the one thing they are able to do well. As for how I learned it goes back to my college days at UB on the Main Street campus. We were warned in which classroom buildings to avoid the men’s rooms. And the men’s room in the Grants in University Plaza was it’s own miniature Allentown.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Breezy, thanks for the correction. One thing you can’t correct is that The Public and Artvoice are crap, pure and simple. I can’t imagine a way in which either of these handfuls of horse**** could be cheapened beyond their current state. As for hanging out in public toilets I leave that to Democrats; seems to be the one thing they are able to do well. As for how I learned it goes back to my college days at UB on the Main Street campus. We were warned in which classroom buildings to avoid the men’s rooms. And the men’s room in the Grants in University Plaza was it’s own miniature Allentown.
    Well, little too intellectual for me too, and grump, you should recall Sen. Larry Craig was a REPUBLICAN. No DEMS. Just saying. TMI

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    Well, little too intellectual for me too, and grump, you should recall Sen. Larry Craig was a REPUBLICAN. No DEMS. Just saying. TMI
    You should recall the Democratic county court judge repeatedly picked up by Tonawanda and Amherst police for “hanging out” in Ellicott Creek Park men’s rooms. He was repeatedly renominated by the Dems. But as I said it’s an activity that appeals to Democrats.

Thread Information