Thread: One year rezoning moratorium

Thumbs up One year rezoning moratorium

On this Tuesday's agenda, resolution #10 is a public hearing for a local law regarding a One year rezoning moratorium.

In my view, a very good idea so they can get their ducks in a row in following the comprehensive plan by updating ad revising their codes.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    On this Tuesday's agenda, resolution #10 is a public hearing for a local law regarding a One year rezoning moratorium.

In my view, a very good idea so they can get their ducks in a row in following the comprehensive plan by updating ad revising their codes.
    I agree....

By unanimous vote the town board set a public hearing for a proposed Local Law to establish a one-year moratorium on all applications for rezoning for the 17th day of September, 2018 at 7:15 o'clock P.M.

Kudos to the town board for taking this step to get the town’s zoning map established and defined in such manner to rid the town of rezones and rezones of rezones that too often favored developer best interests over that of the community.

Except for developers I cannot understand why any member of the community would not speak in favor of a one-year moratorium on rezone applications. The town’s interest in establishing a zoning map that can be enforceable flies in the face of the last ‘generic’ comprehensive plan.

Hopefully this moratorium and a defined zoning map will prevent any of us from ever hearing again those infamous words of a developer’s attorney who publically announced at a town board meeting: “Laugh all you want, we can get the necessary permits and approvals to do anything we want.”

Or the infamous responses of some town board members in the past who approved rezones (and rezones of rezones) based on the BS developer rhetoric that market sales dictated they needed to change their strategy; especially onerous when they had already been granted a rezone to change their original concept and where sometimes the concept did not fit the character of the neighborhood.

I consider this proposal to be of such importance that I would encourage others who are unable to attend the September 17th public hearing to submit written comments to the town board.

I will be submitting the following to the Town Clerk and requesting each town board member receive a copy; along with a request to copy the Town Attorney and Code Enforcement Officer.

TB letter on rezone application moratorium

Unable to attend the September 17th public hearing regarding the town’s proposed Local Law to establish a one-year moratorium on all applications for rezoning, I am submitting written comments to voice my support in favor of the proposal. I would like to sign on as a proponent of the proposa..

I commend the town board for taking an action to clearly define, establish and enforce a zoning map that sets boundaries and is in the best interest of the community. Too often in the past – and since the last ‘generic’ comprehensive plan – countless rezones and rezones of rezones were approved that often favored the best interests of developers over that of the residents.

Too often rezones have been approved that have had adverse impacts associated with them to the neighboring community’s well-being, property value, the environment and traffic; too often based on developer perceived ‘market’ demand strategies and best interests.

In my opinion the current Town and Planning Boards are doing their due diligence in putting together a sound master plan with appropriate, enforceable codes. This is a step in the right direction and I am hopeful that the town receives the support necessary that leads them to approve the proposal consideration

I am a proponent to establish a one-year moratorium on applications for rezone consideration.

Please consider my written submission as acceptable for consideration.

I’d like to commend the board on their decision to extend the rezone applications moratorium. Since the current zoning laws do remain in effect until the zoning changes are made into law, this moratorium is necessary to keep the vision of the new comprehensive plan as written.

I’m so very pleased that this board and the planning board are diligently working to work towards our community’s plan for the future.

I believe this moratorium should remain in effect or extended until all amendments to the zoning code and map have been made to comply with the new comprehensive master plan

Thank you to all the board members for their hard work.

GREAT job!!!

Georgia L Schlager

In listening to the recording of Monday night’s town board meeting I was perplexed why only three residents addressed the board at the public hearing to amend the local law to instate a one-year moratorium on rezone applications. The three were proponents to support the moratorium.

Perplexed when hearing who attended the meeting and when knowing these individuals are vocal regarding adverse impacts caused by developments that were approved by past town boards too often believing developer property rights trumped those of adjacent neighborhoods; where potential significant adverse impacts were not identified and mitigated.

IMHO this board is trying to instate a master plan that is truly comprehensive and one that has zoning districts well defined and where such zoning code is enforceable to end the numerous rezone and rezone of rezones applications and approvals – and where such rezone approvals have resulted in the myriad issues that plague the town – flooding & drainage, infrastructure failures, overburdened roads, etc.

The town is headed in the right direction here and should have heard from more individuals voicing their support for the moratorium.

Thread Information