Thread: Black, Dennis?

Black, Dennis?

Remember Dennis Black? The 'everywhere-you-look-he-seemed to-show-up' UB guy that was found to not be quite as "all that" as he may have seemed. He swiped like $300k+ and was caught. He bolted from Western New York and planted himself in South Carolina, I believe. Earlier this year he was sentenced to years of probation and 2,500 (I think) hours of community service. I seem to recall that he stated that he'd spend the rest of his life trying to "atone" for his misdeeds.

Does anyone know what the guy is doing (or has done) community service-wise or atonement-wise? And, would the community service have to be done in WNY or SC?

Man, when someone seems too good to be true, they usually are. And, IMO, Black could be the poster child for that cliche.

Well, he “bolted” from western NY as have hundreds of thousands of other western New Yorkers over the years. I believe he was already under investigation when he moved and I believe he voluntarily appeared and didn’t force extradition if your point is that he went there to hide. As for atonement, he paid back in full what he took which is all the more maddening because if he had that much laying around he didn’t have to lift it in the first place. Probably doing his community service in the south. I could be wrong but I think NY would surrender management to SC to ensure he complies.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Well, he “bolted” from western NY as have hundreds of thousands of other western New Yorkers over the years. I believe he was already under investigation when he moved and I believe he voluntarily appeared and didn’t force extradition if your point is that he went there to hide. As for atonement, he paid back in full what he took which is all the more maddening because if he had that much laying around he didn’t have to lift it in the first place. Probably doing his community service in the south. I could be wrong but I think NY would surrender management to SC to ensure he complies.
    Not what I intended to mean by my comment about "bolting." Merely stating that he is not around here any more.

His "atonement" statement came AFTER he repaid. So, it's logical to believe that the "rest of his life" will bring other things that qualify as "atonement." I wonder what that entails?

As far as the community service - 2,500 hours of it, no less - I wonder what that is? [Seems like it would be beneficial to publicize it... to serve as a deterrent to whatever degree.]

Member, I had a conversation with a UB type the other day. It seems that the investigations are continuing. The shoe shine rag carried a blurb about an architect who was allegedly doing private work on state time. I’m told people are leaving right and left because morale is so low and there’s a climate of suspicion.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Member, I had a conversation with a UB type the other day. It seems that the investigations are continuing. The shoe shine rag carried a blurb about an architect who was allegedly doing private work on state time. I’m told people are leaving right and left because morale is so low and there’s a climate of suspicion.
    Sounds to me like SUNYAB is ripe territory for a full audit. And, clearly, the perception of what happened to Black (and the other person at the time) did not serve as a strong deterrent.

If there is to be an audit, perhaps it should begin with the financial shell game played by the Tripathi administration to scrounge up the seed money for the new medical school building. After all, it does have a really fancy atrium. As for Black’s sentence serving for a deterrent my guess is stuff has been going for years that was never considered improper until it was.

Thread Information