Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Collins Should Resign Today!

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    Then he should not have suspended his campaign and tried his claim of innocence as part of his campaign.
    But isn't that simply the action(s) that you think should be taken. My point/question is not what any one of "us" would do... it is, can Chris Collins' actions fit with someone who believes/knows that he is not guilty? If I'm charged with a presumably serious matter, I may not want to be bothered attending to something that I no longer want. Maybe it took this long for me to realize how ugly politics really is(?). I'm told I cannot jump ship entirely, so I suspend activity. Doesn't seem so far fetched to me.

Again, just a thought based on an 'outsiders' perception.

Quote Originally Posted by Member 2358 View Post
    But isn't that simply the action(s) that you think should be taken. My point/question is not what any one of "us" would do... it is, can Chris Collins' actions fit with someone who believes/knows that he is not guilty? If I'm charged with a presumably serious matter, I may not want to be bothered attending to something that I no longer want. Maybe it took this long for me to realize how ugly politics really is(?). I'm told I cannot jump ship entirely, so I suspend activity. Doesn't seem so far fetched to me.

Again, just a thought based on an 'outsiders' perception.
    At what point in time did he no longer want it? In April when he is sitting with 2 FBI agents in his bathrobe? When he was offered a pre-indictment plea deal? Or once the indictment is handed down and gave a speech that he was going to continue with his campaign?
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

What if - for the sake of discussion - Chris Collins' assertion of his non-guilt is accurate and valid... would his behavior be viewed as more (if not, certainly) reasonable?

Though I'm not blindly defending him, I get the sense that he is not blowing "innocence smoke" in this case. No doubt his outward bearing triggers a lot of negative emotion/passion. But he's not being tried for being cocky or having the personality of an ass.

I also am not blindly buying into what is certainly a compelling indictment document.
    This is no rub on you, and is actually supportive of what you seem to be saying.

I think you sincerely feel that Collins' strong assertions may be a indication of his innocence, or at least his self-rationalized innocence. I think I now understand exactly where you are coming from.

I don't know if you are old enough to remember Spiro Agnew's problems, or if you have studied them in depth. But, my contemporaneous recollections may speak to your perspective.

During the summer of 1973 through the very early days of October, Agnew was very compelling in addressing the investigation(s) led by the U.S. Attorney George Beall. Agnew started his defense with the comment that the charges against him were "damned lies," bitched about the conduct of the prosecutors, discredited witnesses, rejected any sort of plea deal suggestions, vowed "I will not resigned if indicted," and so on.

Although Agnew was not under indictment during this time, his protestations were very compelling, and convinced me that he was innocent, and just a another victim of the general Watergate feeding frenzy.

The parallels to Agnew are strong: a highly visible political figure, prosecuted at a time when the President himself is under serious legal scrutiny, and charged by a "friendly" prosecutor. (George Beall was a brother of U.S. Republican Senator J. Glenn Beall.) Collins' case, and his parsed public conduct strongly suggest to me, the Vice President's case.

Not a mirror image, but enough to hang my hat on. But in the end, Agnew, resigned in exchange for lesser charges.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 11th, 2018 at 10:17 AM.

At what point in time did he no longer want it? In April when he is sitting with 2 FBI agents in his bathrobe? When he was offered a pre-indictment plea deal? Or once the indictment is handed down and gave a speech that he was going to continue with his campaign?
    dt, when did the government reveal that there was an offer of a plea, or was this a "revelation" leaked from another "anonymous" source? I simply can not find such a comment it in the transcript of the prosecutor's presser, any news reports subsequent to the presser, and, to the best of my knowledge, this "plea deal" thing just dropped yesterday in the WIVB interview.

I would feel more sure of such a deal offer if Collins would have directly confirmed "Yes, the government offered me a plea, and I turned it down." Instead, he reacted, indirectly with murky language to a question from a reporter.

Can you help me out here?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 11th, 2018 at 10:31 AM.

From: https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/...ing/1402264677

Federal prosecutors offered Congressman Chris Collins a plea deal before he was indicted on charges of insider trading earlier this month, the Buffalo News reports, a deal that Collins turned down.

Attorneys tell the paper that the plea offer is typical practice.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Thank ya sir.

It sounds to me like the routine plea deal was leaked to the Snews. Perhaps the Collins political or legal team leaked it to foster public confidence in, or at least perceptions of, his innocence?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 11th, 2018 at 12:30 PM.

This may sound like something out of left field, but... Does anyone know if Chris Collins is a drinker? I do not mean (necessarily) a raging alcoholic, but does he drink to the point of having even a moderate degree of impaired judgement. And, if so, was he drinking at the now-infamous picnic where the alleged insider trading communications originated?

Possibly I don't give his outward cockiness enough credit, but I just don't see him as dumb enough to knowingly/intentionally violate the insider trading thing. But... if his judgement was impaired (even mildly) then, sure, all bets are off.

Not sure that there is an insider trading tipsy defense, but it could be some interesting background. Again, just a thought.

This may sound like something out of left field, but... Does anyone know if Chris Collins is a drinker? I do not mean (necessarily) a raging alcoholic, but does he drink to the point of having even a moderate degree of impaired judgement. And, if so, was he drinking at the now-infamous picnic where the alleged insider trading communications originated?

Possibly I don't give his outward cockiness enough credit, but I just don't see him as dumb enough to knowingly/intentionally violate the insider trading thing. But... if his judgement was impaired (even mildly) then, sure, all bets are off.

Not sure that there is an insider trading tipsy defense, but it could be some interesting background. Again, just a thought.
    I agree, he is far from stupid. He is shrewd and cunning, and together with Langworthy's "impression" that Collins "is at peace" with the end of his (Collins) political career, the interview struck me as a reflection of a self-absorbed man, indifferent to all around him, standing firmly on a platform of self-defined righteousness and morality.

Personally, I think Langworthy is telling Collins, if you are re-elected, we expect that you will resign.

Simply put, an isolated, arrogant weirdo who needs a kick in the ass to do the right thing.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 12th, 2018 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    I agree, he is far from stupid. He is shrewd and cunning, and together with Langworthy's "impression" that Collins "is at peace" with the end of his (Collins) political career, the interview struck me as a reflection of a self-absorbed man, indifferent to all around him, standing firmly on a platform of self-defined righteousness and morality.

Personally, I think Langworthy is telling Collins, if you are re-elected, we expect that you will resign.

Simply put, an isolated, arrogant weirdo who needs a kick in the ass to do the right thing.
    LOL. All of those characteristics - to one degree or another - pertain to virtually all so-called successful politicians (or any public person). Typically, you cannot survive in the fishbowl if you don't have those characteristics. Collins sucks far more than most at hiding that facet.

I still wonder, though, was Collins' judgement impaired by substance at that picnic?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Had an automated survey call last night.

Must have been the Democrats.

The questions were asked in such a way to sway the results.

LOL. All of those characteristics - to one degree or another - pertain to virtually all so-called successful politicians (or any public person).
    Totally agree, but Collins extends the limits of smugness.

I still wonder, though, was Collins' judgement impaired by substance at that picnic?
    Perhaps he most probably was impaired by the news he that received. Perhaps an overtly controlled panic attack while restraining the temptation to launch into a tantrum?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Had an automated survey call last night.

Must have been the Democrats.

The questions were asked in such a way to sway the results.
    Do enlighten us, O' Keeper of the Speak Up flame. Can you expand on the poll Res?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Question on who you would vote for...

Would you vote for Collins who is indicted or would you vote for Nate. Press 1 for Collins, 2 for Nate or 3 undecided. Questions like that.

There were a few trump questions in there to.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Question on who you would vote for...

Would you vote for Collins who is indicted or would you vote for Nate. Press 1 for Collins, 2 for Nate or 3 undecided. Questions like that.

There were a few trump questions in there to.
    Thanks for posting Res. "Who is indicted..." says it all.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Yep. The questions were to the point but you can see how they were asked.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information