Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Totes are coming to Lancaster

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post
    If you still have your tree Feb 1, that's sad. At that point burn it or tie a cinder block to it and drop it in the lake for fish habitat.

I've burned Christmas tree branches in the spring and they go up faster than charcoal lighter fluid.
    My point was that WM must not be picking up trees under the new contract starting Feb 1. So next year's post Christmas season, will people be dumping them along side the roads or is the highway department taking on the Christmas tree pick up once we're into the new contract?

I haven't had a live tree in decades. So, it won't affect me.

Georgia L Schlager

It's great to see that Supervisor Coleman is a master at negotiating...

This has been the most one sided process that should have been negotiated and settled long before the current contract expires. WM tells her how it is and she accepts it.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    It's great to see that Supervisor Coleman is a master at negotiating... This has been the most one sided process that should have been negotiated and settled long before the current contract expires. WM tells her how it is and she accepts it.
    With the other bidder's bid being far more expensive, one would think the WM was as you stated in total control of the contract negotiations.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    It's great to see that Supervisor Coleman is a master at negotiating...

This has been the most one sided process that should have been negotiated and settled long before the current contract expires. WM tells her how it is and she accepts it.

Spot on!

We will see what tomorrow and Monday brings but it has been obvious from the draft proposal that the waste management companies were driving the bus. And having experienced the prior refuse contract negotiations in the Giza and Fudoli administrations the one with the least public involvement and/or input, and with the least public information disseminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post
    If you still have your tree Feb 1, that's sad. At that point burn it or tie a cinder block to it and drop it in the lake for fish habitat.

I've burned Christmas tree branches in the spring and they go up faster than charcoal lighter fluid.
    Happy Birthday!!!!

Georgia L Schlager

Thank you!

Rehrig will start rolling out the garbage and recycling totes on January 7th.
    It was stated that more information about the upcoming contract will be placed on the town's website.

I had sent an email to WM asking about the meetings that were part of the refuse bid proposal.

I live in Lancaster NY. Waste management will be initiating a new contract with our town on February 1, 2019. There is suppose to be two public meetings with us residents for questions regarding the changes in service. Do you know when these public meetings are scheduled?
    And there were response was-
    Good afternoon Georgia,

Thank you for contacting Waste Management.

I would be happy to assist with your inquiry. The meetings would be scheduled and facilitated by the Town. Please contact the Town directly to learn when the meetings will be scheduled.
    So, I asked the town last night and was told that no dates have been scheduled yet for the two community information meetings with WM as was part of the bid proposal.

Georgia L Schlager

From the Buffalo News - Letter to the Editor. Must be a Sojka follower considering the contents of the last question.
    Last year, the Town of Lancaster decided town residents would be required to place their trash in covered garbage receptacles, not in plastic bags. This measure, it was believed, would put a chink in the food chain of the rodent population. Residents complied, purchasing receptacles with lids.

The receptacle I originally purchased gradually deteriorated until it became necessary to upgrade to a more durable receptacle.

Keeping in mind that the town wanted the residents to provide their own individual receptacle, I purchased a more durable one for $80.

Fast forward a few months and now the town has decided to make a change to the tote trash removal system in February at the cost of $2.5 million to taxpayers. Herein lies the dilemma: what do I do with my eighty-dollar receptacle?

It is clear that Lancaster should have made the change to the tote trash removal system last year instead of asking residents to purchase their own garbage receptacles.

And while we’re on the subject of the increasing tax burden in the Town of Lancaster, why is the salary for the chief of police slated to rise to $126,000 a year effective in 2019 when the sheriff for Erie County who supervises a vastly larger agency earns only $79,000?

Charles Krathaus, Jr.

Lancaster
    Why does the under sheriff have a salary of $133,475?
    Elected officials know the salary of the position before they run for election.

It seems that a lot of the county elected officials are underpaid except for the overpaid PT legislators.

Last edited by gorja; December 4th, 2018 at 07:07 AM.

Georgia L Schlager

It seems that a lot of the county elected officials are underpaid except for the overpaid PT legislators.
    I must say our last 2 county legislators Morton and Bruso work their PT job as a FT one unlike their predecessors Fudoli and McCracken.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Rehrig will start rolling out the garbage and recycling totes on January 7th.
    It was stated that more information about the upcoming contract will be placed on the town's website.

I had sent an email to WM asking about the meetings that were part of the refuse bid proposal.

And there were response was-

So, I asked the town last night and was told that no dates have been scheduled yet for the two community information meetings with WM as was part of the bid proposal.
    Thank you Gorga for questioning the board on the tote status.

After listening to the recording of last night’s meeting I am still perplexed as to why Supervisor Coleman is still ‘fine tuning negotiations with Waste Management’. What is left to negotiate? Coleman did say there was another meeting scheduled with WM on Friday. Hopefully, it will be the last and the public will be become informed on the process and what is expected of the residents.

Coleman promised there would be ‘lots of information’ posted on the website after the negotiations are finalized. Hopefully the information will be published elsewhere as many residents do not look at the website. When asked about the two meetings between the public and WM to review process and allow public input, Coleman answered that was hoping such meeting(s) would take place.

Coleman did say that the wheeled carts distribution would take place on January 7th but added that it would most likely take the remainder of the month to distribute them. The carts would be left at the curb and it is the responsibility of the homeowner to retrieve and store them. She advised residents that would be gone on vacation or residing at winter homes to make arrangements with neighbors (or others) to retrieve them.

So little time remaining before implementation, so many unanswered questions and so little coverage by the media outlets on a monumental $2.6 million project.

Other

While traveling through the town today I passed several streets where garbage was scheduled for pickup. We already have a lidded container ordinance. Seen many bags at the curb, totes with no lids and overfilled totes. Can’t wait to see the new town code on such violations and how the town code will be enforced.

Still no word on owner purchased totes meeting ANSI specification, what to do with them and/or how to get rid of them. These property owners have to be pissed that they followed the lidded container ordinance in place, spent the money to purchase equal or better-quality totes than what the town will supply and will be penalized by not being able to use them.

Also, at Monday's meeting, the supervisor advised the media to get the word out about the tote roll out.
    Unless, I'm totally blind, I don't see anything in the Bee this week.

Georgia L Schlager

Also, at Monday's meeting, the supervisor advised the media to get the word out about the tote roll out.
    I'm shocked - NOT!

Of course there is nothing on the town's website either to notify the public on anything pertaining to the transition.

To be fair, Supervisor Coleman has another negotiating meeting scheduled with Waste Management Friday and I am sure the contract and all its nuances will be published on the website shortly thereafter. No sweat, seven weeks to go - still enough time to hold those two public meetings with Waste Management as promised (minimum) so they can tell us what they expect from us.

And with the tote distribution date set for January 7th (lasting to the end of the month), that still leaves some property owners three weeks to discover where to keep them and what to do with their old and/or newly self-purchased totes.

Now every property owner will have a lidded container for use, will be in compliance with the law, assuredly will use them as mandated and the rat population will be significantly reduced. And then, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    I'm shocked - NOT!

Of course there is nothing on the town's website either to notify the public on anything pertaining to the transition.

To be fair, Supervisor Coleman has another negotiating meeting scheduled with Waste Management Friday and I am sure the contract and all its nuances will be published on the website shortly thereafter. No sweat, seven weeks to go - still enough time to hold those two public meetings with Waste Management as promised (minimum) so they can tell us what they expect from us.

And with the tote distribution date set for January 7th (lasting to the end of the month), that still leaves some property owners three weeks to discover where to keep them and what to do with their old and/or newly self-purchased totes.

Now every property owner will have a lidded container for use, will be in compliance with the law, assuredly will use them as mandated and the rat population will be significantly reduced. And then, maybe not.
    I do hope there is enforcement to go along with these totes. The village business district the other morning looked like a rat buffet. It really doesn't matter where you on any given garbage day, there any many violators.

Georgia L Schlager

Nothing in the Lancaster Sun or the Buffalo News on the mandated tote roll out date starting on January 7th and continuing throughout the month.

I do hope there is enforcement to go along with these totes. The village business district the other morning looked like a rat buffet. It really doesn't matter where you on any given garbage day, there any many violators.

Can't wait to see how that goes. A neighborhood resident complained Waste Management did not pick up one of her plastic garbage bags because it was covered with snow from the road being plowed.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information