Thread: Lancaster's "New Republicans" and the Establishment Coliseum

Lancaster's "New Republicans" and the Establishment Coliseum

Last July, Republican Chairman-to-be Greg Sojka presented his vision for the "New Lancaster Republican Party." The Sojka vision, as I understood it, suggested a reformed party, all-inclusive in composition, welcoming of input, and entirely committed to the advancement of eminently qualified candidates, without strict regard to party label and patronage considerations.

Sojka's election in October transformed promised vision into expected delivery. That delivery was met with the party's selection of Democrat Diane Terranova for Town Clerk.

In light of the accelerated election cycle, the fact that Ms. Terranova was preemptively selected by the Republican Party seemingly confirmed the party's prior sincerity and commitment to the Sojka vision.

That accelerated process did not impact the inevitable resistance from the Democrat opposition, nor did it suppress the seeming sabotage by the "Establishment" faction resident in the Lancaster Republican Party. Rather, the annual summertime petition process morphed into a Lenten undertaking, and that process more closely resembled a Good Friday scourging rather than a seasonal fast.

Appropriately, the Lenten time frame may suggest to the "Establishment" elites of both parties, some overtones of the corrupt Roman Empire.

The perils confronting this new Republican Party may be analogous to the gladiators battling in the Coliseum for the enjoyment of the Caesar and his dutiful "Bread and Circuses" crowd. But, in Rome, there was only one Caesar and a singular political population to be kept docile and content.

In Lancaster, the "New Republican" gladiators fight for the enjoyment of two Caesars and two masses. Although both Caesars and their masses are rivals, it appears both are kindred in their desire to preserve the status quo.

Pursuing the Roman theme, it would be as if Roman mythology has been turned on its head, and Romulus never killed Remus.

Seemingly, in the preliminary fight, the Caesar McCracken has engaged the "New Republicans" in the annual battle for the minor party lines, using any warrior with a pulse to challenge the Republican candidates on the Conservative and Independence lines.

No real surprise there.

https://www.elections.erie.gov/2019-petitions-filed-2/

Lancaster
    Supervisor Ronald Ruffino, Sr. D 4/4/2019
    Supervisor Dawn C. Gaczewski R 4/4/2019
    Supervisor Dawn C. Gaczewski C 4/3/2019
    Supervisor Martin A. Szczublewski C 4/4/2019
    Supervisor Frank Caparaso C 4/4/2019

Ronald Ruffino, Sr. W 4/3/2019
    Supervisor Joseph A. Bish I 4/4/2019
    Supervisor Dawn C. Gaczewski I 4/4/2019
    Councilman Kristin J. McCracken D 4/4/2019
    Councilman David F. Mazur D 4/4/2019
    Councilman Bruce E. Stutz R 4/4/2019
    Councilman Robert E. Leary R 4/4/2019
    Councilman Bruce E. Stutz C 4/3/2019
    Councilman Robert E. Leary C 4/3/2019
    Councilman Jared J. Maciejewski C 4/4/2019
    Councilman Scott M. Pease C 4/4/2019
    Councilman Philip A. Caparaso C 4/4/2019
    Councilman Joseph M. Karosik C 4/4/2019
    Councilman Kristin J. McCracken W 4/3/2019
    Councilman David F. Mazur W 4/3/2019
    Councilman Michael L. Bauer I 4/4/2019
    Councilman Bruce E. Stutz I 4/4/2019
    Councilman Robert E. Leary I 4/4/2019
    Town Clerk Cynthia A. Maciejewski D 4/4/2019
    Town Clerk Diane Sovinsky Terranova D 4/4/2019
    Town Clerk Anne V. Desiderio R 4/1/2019
    Town Clerk Diane Sovinsky Terranova R 4/4/2019
    Town Clerk Diane Sovinsky Terranova C 4/3/2019
    Town Clerk Donald Biondo C 4/4/2019
    Town Clerk Brian E. Sabatino C 4/4/2019
    Town Clerk Cynthia A. Maciejewski W 4/3/2019
    Town Clerk Julie A. Bish I 4/4/2019
    Town Clerk Diane Sovinsky Terranova I 4/4/2019
    What makes 2019 unique, is main event, inner-Republican Party challenge to Diane Terranova, which I perceive to have been orchestrated by those who, at least until recently, followed Caesar Mohr.

To wit, Ann Desiderio, whom I understand to have been a loyal Republican supporter, is challenging the endorsed Republican candidate for Town Clerk, and seems to be doing so for reasons which lack tangible clarity. So profound is her resident ambiguity, it appears to me that Ms. Desiderio can not clearly articulate the fundamental function of the office which she seeks. In her own words, she suggests that purpose of the Town Clerk is to "represent" constituents. I have never understood that the challenges of Town Clerk 's office require a testing of the holder's legislative temperament, but exclusively the application of practical skill and competence.

Ergo, it is reasonable to conclude that the Desiderio challenge may rise from the universe of petty Establishment push-back, rather from a world which celebrates the needs of the residents.

At present, the "New Republicans" are swinging and dodging in the Establishment Coliseum. Although their sweaty faces are bloodied, and their arm muscles are heavy with fatigue, there are many battles left to fight.

But, they must realize that this fight is far too important to be forfeit on the alters of despair, resignation and complacency. They simply can not await salvation from an Imperial thumbs-up, or death from a whimsical thumbs-down. So noble is their stated purpose, it may better to die a metaphoric death in active combat, rather than submissively enable a continuance of the prevailing rot.

In my opinion, if this "New Republican" faithful hangs tough with their reform platform, and does not submit to the pressures of their rogue membership, even those members, and their former power-holding benefactors just may see the cross in the sunlight, and in the tradition of Constantine, embrace the assertion "In Hoc Singo Vinces."

Last edited by mark blazejewski; April 7th, 2019 at 12:24 PM.

Thread Information