Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Totes are coming to Lancaster

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    Are the totes being distributed today? I'm sure there will be plenty of confused people when that happens.

I'm hearing the totes aren't even in town yet - the final size count has also been changed. And, Supervisor Coleman did publicly state that the tote roll out date was scheduled for January 7th.

The contract with Waste Management will be voted on tonight and there are issues not yet resolved.

Hopefully, someone will ask for a status report tonight on what's in the contract and when it will be posted on the town website. In my mind there is no way the new contract will go into effect on February 1.

There are people throughout town that are completely in the dark about this project.

Tote roll out will not begin until January 25th or 28th.
    Waste management will be sending out info in the mail
    There will be an informational meeting at the beginnning of the next town board meeting on Tuesday, January 22nd
    Information about the garbage contract that was discussed at the town board's work session can be heard here-
    https://soundcloud.com/user-78408220...07_001a#t=5:14

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Tote roll out will not begin until January 25th or 28th.
    Waste management will be sending out info in the mail
    There will be an informational meeting at the beginnning of the next town board meeting on Tuesday, January 22nd
    Information about the garbage contract that was discussed at the town board's work session can be heard here-
    https://soundcloud.com/user-78408220...07_001a#t=5:14
    Thanks for posting, Gorga. It’s about time the town released some information about the project – a project that has been delayed and where some residents know nothing about the new contract and where others were made to understand that the project would be in full swing by February 1st, contract renewal day.

Supervisor Coleman gave the added information:

Where the town earlier announced the distribution start date for the wheeled carts as January 7th, the cart distribution date is to start January 28th and is predicted to last for a month.

The new contract does go into effect on February 1st and property owners can start using the new 65-gallon (or 95-gallon) town-owned carts when they receive them. The lids must be closed at time of garbage pickup.

When delivered the carts will provide information. The town will be mailing out information.

Bulk pickup will occur during the second full week of the month and will be limited to three items. Tires will not be accepted.

Recycling pickup every other week.

If needed, extra totes will not be sold until June 1st. In the interim, 30-gallon bags will be sold for $5 if needed.

Actual cost for two town provided carts is $156. The carts are town property.

No fee reduction for seniors who generate less garbage – too difficult to assess.

Some questions needing asking at January 22nd meeting with Waste Management present

Supervisor Coleman declared there are still unanswered questions that should be asked of Waste Management at the next town board meeting when representatives will be making a presentation and available for the public’s questioning.

Some of questions worth asking are:

How long will the transition period be before mandated use of the town provided carts?

When residents receive the carts storage will be a problem for many residents. How are the residents to dispose of their private carts?

Understanding that the collection operation will be made by a one-operator, truck side-arm operation where stationing the cart is important, what happens when it snows the evening before pickup and the cart is reoriented because of private or public truck snow removal operations?
    When will the new code enforcement policy go into effect?

Will Waste Management now work in concert with the town to ensure that code enforcement is successful; considering there are codes already in place that limit what materials can be set at the curb for regular pickup, but rather picked up by a second truck – wallboard, countertops, sinks, etc.? Waste management has been enabling current code violators.

How chew-proof are the new containers considering more will stored outside of a building or shed because of their size?

What penalty will be meted out to code violators? Will their refuse not be picked up, with a warning note of non-compliance? Will they be cited if they do not remove the garbage from the street and store it properly? Will garbage be picked up in an overfilled cart with lid open?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Thanks for posting, Gorga. It’s about time the town released some information about the project – a project that has been delayed and where some residents know nothing about the new contract and where others were made to understand that the project would be in full swing by February 1st, contract renewal day.

Supervisor Coleman gave the added information:

Where the town earlier announced the distribution start date for the wheeled carts as January 7th, the cart distribution date is to start January 28th and is predicted to last for a month.

The new contract does go into effect on February 1st and property owners can start using the new 65-gallon (or 95-gallon) town-owned carts when they receive them. The lids must be closed at time of garbage pickup.

When delivered the carts will provide information. The town will be mailing out information.

Bulk pickup will occur during the second full week of the month and will be limited to three items. Tires will not be accepted.

Recycling pickup every other week.

If needed, extra totes will not be sold until June 1st. In the interim, 30-gallon bags will be sold for $5 if needed.

Actual cost for two town provided carts is $156. The carts are town property.

No fee reduction for seniors who generate less garbage – too difficult to assess.

Some questions needing asking at January 22nd meeting with Waste Management present

Supervisor Coleman declared there are still unanswered questions that should be asked of Waste Management at the next town board meeting when representatives will be making a presentation and available for the public’s questioning.

Some of questions worth asking are:

How long will the transition period be before mandated use of the town provided carts?

When residents receive the carts storage will be a problem for many residents. How are the residents to dispose of their private carts?

Understanding that the collection operation will be made by a one-operator, truck side-arm operation where stationing the cart is important, what happens when it snows the evening before pickup and the cart is reoriented because of private or public truck snow removal operations?
    When will the new code enforcement policy go into effect?

Will Waste Management now work in concert with the town to ensure that code enforcement is successful; considering there are codes already in place that limit what materials can be set at the curb for regular pickup, but rather picked up by a second truck – wallboard, countertops, sinks, etc.? Waste management has been enabling current code violators.

How chew-proof are the new containers considering more will stored outside of a building or shed because of their size?

What penalty will be meted out to code violators? Will their refuse not be picked up, with a warning note of non-compliance? Will they be cited if they do not remove the garbage from the street and store it properly? Will garbage be picked up in an overfilled cart with lid open?
    I would add that questions regarding provisions, latitude, and exceptions for in-home medical care circumstances need to be addressed.

Lancaster approves new waste, recycling program

Lancaster Bee

https://www.lancasterbee.com/article...cling-program/

If I was one of the residents that was assigned a 65 gallon tote, I would be a little put out that I'm paying the same garbage tax as a resident with the ability to put out 45% more trash than me every week.

Georgia L Schlager

If I was one of the residents that was assigned a 65 gallon tote, I would be a little put out that I'm paying the same garbage tax as a resident with the ability to put out 45% more trash than me every week.
    Well, Gorga, I am one of those residents living in a townhouse community that will be receiving two 65-gal totes – and glad of it as well. The great majority of patio, townhome and condominium residents are empty nesters and don’t require anymore than a 65-gal tote. If addition, many of these unit owners will have difficulty storing these sized containers in their garages.

As for paying the same as a 95-gal tote user, I have no problem with that as we are speaking of one container users and many of those users will generate no more garbage than those using 65-gal totes.

After reading the following it appears the town is attempting to level the playing field as reasonable as possible:

Additional totes will be available for purchase after June 1. The purchase of another tote will also cost the resident an extra annual disposal cost. Coleman said the town is coming up with an appropriate cost for the totes and disposal, but early discussions described the extra disposal costing $100 per year.

A discount on garbage pickup will be given to residents who receive an old age exemption.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Well, Gorga, I am one of those residents living in a townhouse community that will be receiving two 65-gal totes – and glad of it as well. The great majority of patio, townhome and condominium residents are empty nesters and don’t require anymore than a 65-gal tote. If addition, many of these unit owners will have difficulty storing these sized containers in their garages.

As for paying the same as a 95-gal tote user, I have no problem with that as we are speaking of one container users and many of those users will generate no more garbage than those using 65-gal totes.

After reading the following it appears the town is attempting to level the playing field as reasonable as possible:

Additional totes will be available for purchase after June 1. The purchase of another tote will also cost the resident an extra annual disposal cost. Coleman said the town is coming up with an appropriate cost for the totes and disposal, but early discussions described the extra disposal costing $100 per year.

A discount on garbage pickup will be given to residents who receive an old age exemption.
    I disassembled an old microwave cart today and put it in one of my 65 gallon totes and still had room for a large bag of garbage.

Georgia L Schlager

From the town website - https://lancasterny.gov/index.php/re...recycling.html

Refuse and Recycling
    NEW TRASH AND RECYCLING GUIDELINES EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 1- all residents should anticipate the following:

Carts will arrive between January 28 and February 28,
    Your trash collection day may have changed, and
    New program rules begin February 1!

The Town of Lancaster has contracted with Waste Management for weekly curbside collection of Trash and every-other-week collection of recyclables. All collection will take place from Town issued carts that will be distributed to residents prior to March 1. You may immediately begin to use your carts once they are received. Each property can expect one trash cart (black body and black lid) and one recycling cart (black body with red lid) per unit. Therefore, a single family home will have one of each. Seniors and residents in town homes and condominiums will receive a pair of 65-gallon carts.

Most residents will see a change in their trash collection day. Trash and Recycling will be collected on the same day, however recycling is only collected twice per month. Trash collection will remain weekly. To determine your new trash collection day and recycling week, please find your street in the pdf program guide (2.25 MB) .

If you cannot find the information you need on this site, please call our Hotline at 609-0923 or email us at garbage@lancasterny.gov.

WHAT HAS CHANGED?
    There are three changes to remember about this program:

Your collection day may have changed! Please review the Program Guide to find your new trash collection day. And, all Trash must be placed inside your Town issued cart ONLY! The lid must close and cart handles should face your house and be 4 feet away from mailboxes, parked cars, poles, etc.
    Bulk Waste, such as furniture and appliances, will ONLY be collected during the second full week of each month. Each home is allowed to place a maximum of three (3) items out, in addition to their cart, during bulk week. Please note: Tires will NOT be accepted as part of this program.
    Recycling will be collected every-other-week from the Town issued carts. Please make every effort to recycle by using the following guide: pdf Recycling Guidelines (1.95 MB) , Large cardboard that is flattened and neatly stacked next to your cart will get collected.

FREQUENTY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS:

Why did the Town move to Cart based collection?
    ANSWER: The goal of cart-based collection is to create a neat, uniform collection program that is efficient, reduces wind-blown debris, and eliminates an attractive food supply for vermin. Because these programs are more efficient, that means savings for tax payers!

Why did my trash collection day change?
    ANSWER: The Trash collection routes have been updated to accommodate the new program, which allows automated collection trucks to travel much farther in the same amount of time.

What can I recycle?
    ANSWER: Please download WM’s Recycling menu. It is very important to Recycle Right and Recycle Often! WM will accept all paper, plastic tubs and containers and household metal cans and containers. PLEASE, do not put any Plastic Bags, Plastic Wraps, Waxed Boxboard and Foam (styrofoam) in your cart. A complete menu of acceptable recycling can be found here: pdf Recycling Guidelines (1.95 MB)

Can I change the size of my carts?
    ANSWER: The Town will first focus on distributing all carts. We ask all residents to wait until June 1 to contact the Town about changing sizes. Accommodations will first be made for residents demonstrating a hardship due to the size of their cart.

What if I need more capacity?
    ANSWER: There are three options available to residents. For limited extra capacity for non-food waste bags, an “Extra Capacity Sticker” can be purchased at Town Hall for $5.00. This allows for collection of one bag of waste weighing no more than 40 lbs. For permanent extra capacity, residents may purchase an additional level of service for $103 per year. After June 1, if you decide to add an additional cart, please contact the Supervisors office. Lastly, for large clean-outs, Waste Management offers the Bagster program. Please visit this link to inquire about a Bagster at www.thebagster.com.

What do I do with electronics, yard waste and household hazardous waste?
    ANSWER: All of these programs will remain the same. Per New York State law, electronics are prohibited from disposal. Please visit www.sunnking.com or www.erie.gov for options. Yard Waste collection schedules in the Town and Village will remain. Household Hazardous Waste collection events are hosted in the spring and fall by Erie County. Please visit their website about upcoming events or inquire with Hazman about additional options (www.hazmanusa.com).

Please review our full list of FAQ’s for more answers: pdf Refuse & Recycling FAQs for CART Program (103 KB)

STILL HAVE QUESTIONS? CALL OR E-MAIL OUR HOTLINE!
    We will respond within one business day to all messages left at 601-0923 or at garbage@lancasterny.gov

MISSED COLLECTION OR YOUR CART DAMAGED? PLEASE CALL WASTE MANAGEMENT CUSTOMER SERVICE: 1-800-972-4545

IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS:
    pdf Trash and Recycling Routes (645 KB)
    pdf New Program Guide (2.25 MB)
    pdf WM Recycling Menu (1.95 MB)
    pdf Lancaster FAQ’s (103 KB)
    pdf Household Hazardous Waste Brochure (951 KB)

Georgia L Schlager

Georgia L Schlager

Very informative. Thank you for all of your work and time Gorja.

Thank you, Gorga!

Comments on new waste management contract policies and regulations

Very detailed information by the town and Waste Management. Like with the current town codes and guidelines, no problem here meeting new rules / regulations /guidelines. Will be very disappointed if new codes are not put in place by the town and where Waste Management supports the town in refusing pickup.to exact code compliance.

Comments on information provided

Why did the Town move to Cart based collection?
    ANSWER: The goal of cart-based collection is to create a neat, uniform collection program that is efficient, reduces wind-blown debris, and eliminates an attractive food supply for vermin. Because these programs are more efficient, that means savings for tax payers!

Have yet to see evidence who or how savings will be realized – especially when the budget unit refuse fee increased by $20, we will be paying off a $1.6 million cart buying bond and when reviewing those needing a second cart and having to pay for the cart and an annual $103 waste disposal fee and bulk pic up fees..

PLEASE, do not put any Plastic Bags, Plastic Wraps in the recycle cart.

Using plastic garbage bags to put trash into is ok, but plastic bags is not?

WHAT DO I DO IN THE WINTER WHEN THERE IS SNOW IN MY DRIVEWAY? We encourage you to clear a spot to place your cart when snow is on the ground. If you would like to place your cart in your driveway.

So, in winter, when during the night preceding scheduled pick-up a snow removal contractor cleans out your driveway and doesn’t replace the cart in the same area and facing correctly, does your trash get picked up?

Contents must fit inside cart/No overflow/lid should close.

Love this one. Hope it’s enforced! Same code in old contract and garbage was overflowing the tote and no enforcement.

WHAT DO I DO IF I AM CLEANING OUT MY HOUSE OR GARAGE? I USED TO BE ABLE TO PUT EVERYTHING OUT AT NO CHARGE? If you are doing a renovation or clean-out, you should contact a local private hauler for a dumpster or Waste Management offers a “Bagster” service for smaller projects.

Yep, $30 for a Bagster (8X4X2.5 – 606-gal) and approximately $130 for removal.

WHAT CAN I PLACE IN MY RECYCLING CART? A full list of acceptable recyclables is available online and in the literature provided. The majority of household recycling is cardboard, paper and plastic.

Yep, but no plastic bags or plastic wrap. Must be taken to a plastic recycle center (plasticfilm.org).

Contents in plastic garbage ok, but other plastic a no-no; seriously?

Bulky Waste You may place your bulky items on the curb the 2nd full week of each month. Please see the Collection Calendar on the inside panel for Bulky Waste pickup weeks. A maximum of three (3) items will be collected each month. No electronics or appliances containing CFC’s will be a accepted (refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers) unless the CFC's have been professionally remove d and stickered as "Freon Removed". Additionally, refrigerator and freezer doors must be removed prior to collection.

Bulk item collection does not include air conditioners, microwave-emitting equipment, tires, and any regulated material covered by the New York State Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act, such as televisions and computers.

Woof, some property owners don’t have an inkling of how good they had it under the old contract. Now they will be paying more in taxes, getting less in services and will be held personally responsible for the disposal of certain materials – and at their expense.

Other

Nothing has been said on disposal of privately purchased totes. Bulk pick up?

Where does one store a Bagster for filling and then getting it to the curb for pick up?

Does one purchasing an extra tote pay for the tote and an $103 annual disposal fee, or is the tote cost absorbed in the $103 annual fee?

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    PLEASE, do not put any Plastic Bags, Plastic Wraps in the recycle cart.

Using plastic garbage bags to put trash into is ok, but plastic bags is not?
    Your old plastic bags can be put in the trash as well as the bag surrounding your garbage. They're just not going to be recyclable.
    As now, they want glass put in the trash and not in the recycling.

Georgia L Schlager

Your old plastic bags can be put in the trash as well as the bag surrounding your garbage. They're just not going to be recyclable.
    As now, they want glass put in the trash and not in the recycling.
    Thank you for clarifying that plastic bags and film can be put into the trash cart. Waste Management’s suggested guidelines on handling such items needed clarification:

Plastic Bags, Film/Sheeting & Flexible Film Packaging

Take plastics back to a local grocer to keep bags clean and dry and prevent them from shutting down recycling facilities. NO Plastic Bags & Film (Find a recycling site at plasticfilmrecycling.org).

So, as long as we can bury the materials at landfills there need be no concern about their shelf life for decomposition or contaminant properties.

I should have said that was the way I interpreted things'
    Posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    So, as long as we can bury the materials at landfills there need be no concern about their shelf life for decomposition or contaminant properties

Yeah, isn't that nice.

I will ask for clarification on Tuesday night

Georgia L Schlager

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information