Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Totes are coming to Lancaster

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Get the warranty in writing including a statement if rats/raccoons/gerbils what ever chews a hole through the tote.
    https://www.rehrigpacific.com/wp-con...-REV-A22-1.pdf

The attached shows the stats / information for a Rehrig 95-gallon tote; the cart model purchased by the Town of Lancaster. Well, it looks like we have no fear of tote damage from bears.

However, as you pointed out there is no “warranty in writing including a statement if rats/raccoons/gerbils what ever chews a hole through the tote.”

I am sure the town will pursue getting such ‘chew through’ warranty (if there is such a warranty) or one of the stated priorities for going to the cart, namely rodent and pest reduction is just pretext for making the reuse handling change.

BTW – where does one store the 95-gal refuse and recyclable carts in the snowy season where there is no room in a garage or structure to do so? Will we now be seeing refuse carts staged in front of garages or the homes where there is no garage – as we now see happening in other municipalities?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

BTW – where does one store the 95-gal refuse and recyclable carts in the snowy season where there is no room in a garage or structure to do so? Will we now be seeing refuse carts staged in front of garages or the homes where there is no garage – as we now see happening in other municipalities?
    LMAO.

Well, that will limit guess work. Those totes will force the varmints out into the open and make the rats clear targets. Life made easier through science and technology.

Such vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

However, as you pointed out there is no “warranty in writing including a statement if rats/raccoons/gerbils what ever chews a hole through the tote.”

I am sure the town will pursue getting such ‘chew through’ warranty (if there is such a warranty)
    What is the compensation for failure to fulfill the "chew through" warranty?

Perhaps the Town gets to keep the exterminated rats?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 17th, 2018 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    What is the compensation for failure to fulfill the "chew through" warranty?

Perhaps the Town gets to keep the exterminated rats?
    There has been no mention of the tote not being able to be chewed through. This particular tote just has a lid fastener that can't be opened by anyone other than a human per manufacturer. Nothing about chewing

Georgia L Schlager

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Has any information been forthcoming regarding an estimate on what the unit increase in taxes will be for the new services?
    Per the 2019 Adopted budget, the unit increase is $18.73 in taxes. The unit charge went from $148.15 to $166.88
    On a $100,000 assessment, the tax bill will increase $25.73. 73% of the tax increase will be in garbage taxes.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    There has been no mention of the tote not being able to be chewed through. This particular tote just has a lid fastener that can't be opened by anyone other than a human per manufacturer. Nothing about chewing
    Of course not Gorja. My cousin bought such a tote four years ago, and the rats ate through it.

IMHO, the issue with rats is human behavior, pure and simple, but what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Of course not Gorja. My cousin bought such a tote four years ago, and the rats ate through it.

IMHO, the issue with rats is human behavior, pure and simple, but what do I know?
    During this refuse contract negotiation, I have not heard the town board members mention anything about the totes being a rat deterrent.

Resident and local Republican chairman did say at the August 20th meeting that the totes would help reduce the rat problem. I guess that he would be the one to ask.

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Per the 2019 Adopted budget, the unit increase is $18.73 in taxes. The unit charge went from $148.15 to $166.88
    On a $100,000 assessment, the tax bill will increase $25.73. 73% of the tax increase will be in garbage taxes.
    Is the $166.88 the year fee for garbage pickup? Or the increase to cover the cost of the totes?

The 2019 annual fee for garbage pickup. They're are bonding for the cost of the totes.

Georgia L Schlager

Isn’t the grant to only offset the purchase of the recyclable carts?
    I must say, every time I've asked about the grant, Supervisor Coleman has stated that it's for the recycling totes only.
    I don't know why I keep asking the same question but I must say the answer always remains the same.

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The 2019 annual fee for garbage pickup. They're are bonding for the cost of the totes.
    I think your town board needs to consult with our town board. I looked at my tax bill. It shows $307 for me.

Does your trash literally get picked up each week or is service crappy for $166?

I think your town board needs to consult with our town board. I looked at my tax bill. It shows $307 for me.

Does your trash literally get picked up each week or is service crappy for $166?

What I understand is that at the moment the new contract plan is to have garbage picked up weekly, recyclables every other week and bulk once a month - no more than three items.

If the unit fee for weekly garbage is $166 as stated by Gorga, that is still reasonable. However, considering the $1.6 million bond to pay off the purchase of the totes ($1.4 million) has to paid off Lancaster residents are looking at an increase in the refuse fee and getting less in services.

Of course, the residents are still in the dark as to what the final contract negotiations will encompass as I believe the town may still be negotiating with Waste Management.

Supervisor Coleman's repeated declaration that "We have to wait to see what they (awarded waste management company) has to offer us" did not seem to resonate with many residents. The refuse companies are driving this train and the town is in a delicate position on what service coverage is appropriate.

Lastly, Gorga is correct in stating that the town never once (to my knowledge) ever mentioned rodent reduction / elimination as a reason for transitioning to the cart program. Considering mote carts will now be stored outside, some residents will still overfill the carts and leave the lids open, and the carts are not rat chew-through proof, making any claim that this program will reduce rat sightings is baseless.

I will be very interested to see how the code will be enforced and how violators will be processed. There already is in place a lidded container ordinance in place and we see how works.

Your garbage tax bill is based on your assessment. Do you and your woman generate more garbage than a family in a home assessed at $50,000 whose garbage tax would be around $103.25?

Does the town justice and former county executive generate more garbage than you? His bill is $586.92?

Is that fair?

Is it fair in Lancaster that people like Lee who get a 65 gallon tote will pay the same garbage rate as me with a 95 gallon tote? It was mentioned at a work session that if a family wanted a second tote, there would be an additional $100 per year charge.

Tony, were you able to get a second tote if you wanted one?

Georgia L Schlager

I will be very interested to see how the code will be enforced and how violators will be processed. There already is in place a lidded container ordinance in place and we see how works.
    It was also mentioned at a work session the availability of a nominal fee sticker $5 or something if you need to put out an extra bag not to exceed 40#s. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of lidded containers?

Georgia L Schlager

Gorga wrote:

Is it fair in Lancaster that people like Lee who get a 65 gallon tote will pay the same garbage rate as me with a 95 gallon tote? It was mentioned at a work session that if a family wanted a second tote, there would be an additional $100 per year charge.
    Spot on!

If there is any way that the town could negotiate a process where residents pay per tonnage of garbage generated that would be fair – much fairer than basing it on property assessment.

Issuing one tote per household regardless of size is fair enough – IMHO. The town considering charging $100 per year per extra tote appears fair considering it includes the cost of the second tote, handling charges and the extra tonnage of garbage generated to be disposed of.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread Information