Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Totes are coming to Lancaster

Two full business days, and I have not received ANY response to this confirmed email:

Copy of: DRAFT REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS TO PROVIDE REFUSE COLLECTION, DISPOSAL AND RECYCLABLE MATERIALS COLLECTION AND PROCESSING

Town of Lancaster
    Jul 25 (1 day ago)
    to me
    This is a copy of the following message you sent to Johanna M. Coleman via Town of Lancaster

This is an enquiry email via https://www.lancasterny.gov/ from:
    Mark Blazejewski REDACTED

Supervisor Coleman,

Regarding the referenced subject, I posted this question on "Speak Up WNY," (EDITED) and I am now directing that question to your attention:

"Also, especially regarding the sick elderly, vast amounts of paper products used for sanitary reasons tend to accumulate to an unbelievable extent. Under the current system, we are permitted to use up to ten containers. In my past experiences, there were times when that limit was nearly met. So, I must ask, under the "new system," are there any "special" accommodations for those who are dealing with those under Hospice care or other in-home medical experiences?

Not to have any such "special" accommodations, would again, require storage, and that in my mind, would only defeat the intended purpose of sanitary redress, and is too disgusting to contemplate."

Thank you for your attention.

Mark Blazejewski
    REDACTED
    Lancaster, NY 14086
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; July 26th, 2018 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    I really don't want to see an additional fee after i already bought my totes. They should buy the totes and sell them to the people in the town at their bulk rate. If you have one already, you don't need to purchase one. I fear that we'll end up paying for dozens of totes and only receiving 1 or 2.
    They made it sound at the June work session meeting that we would not be purchasing the totes from the town. The totes would be town property.

I, too feel if you own a tote, you should be able to use your own. They should have been doing drivebys and enforcing the regulations instead of depending on other residents to snitch.

Georgia L Schlager

The proposal schedule is as follows -

Wonder if there were any amendments made to the draft proposal at the July 17th meeting
    Last edited by gorja; July 27th, 2018 at 01:24 PM.

Georgia L Schlager

Three full business days, and I have not received ANY response to my email, other than the automatic copy of my own message.

Jesus, what is it for the publicly-subsidized staff to say that the message was convened to the Council, or even to go pound salt? The current administration certainly appears not to be very responsive to queries and concerns.

Strange, but the current leadership complained about the subjective "tone" thingy with the last administration. Its remedy: apparently silence.

Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Three full business days, and I have not received ANY response to my email, other than the automatic copy of my own message.

Jesus, what is it for the publicly-subsidized staff to say that the message was convened to the Council, or even to go pound salt? The current administration certainly appears not to be very responsive to queries and concerns.

Strange, but the current leadership complained about the subjective "tone" thingy with the last administration. Its remedy: apparently silence.

Just sayin'.
    Did you call anonymously to see if the supervisor was on vacation?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Did you call anonymously to see if the supervisor was on vacation?
    No Gorja. I certainly don't expect Mrs. Coleman to respond personally. But, for Heaven's sake, the staff could acknowledge that the email has been received and referred.

Gorja, IMHO, people generally are understanding and forgiving, provided that they have the feeling that they have been taken seriously and treated fairly. This circumstance raises questions of responsiveness, and the staff's conduct sounds echos of the VOL. Needless to say, I'm not favorably impressed.

No Gorja. I certainly don't expect Mrs. Coleman to respond personally. But, for Heaven's sake, the staff could acknowledge that the email has been received and referred.

Gorja, IMHO, people generally are understanding and forgiving, provided that they have the feeling that they have been taken seriously and treated fairly. This circumstance raises questions of responsiveness, and the staff's conduct sounds echos of the VOL. Needless to say, I'm not favorably impressed.
    Okay, I see what you're saying

Georgia L Schlager

Just sayin'.
    Hey Mark:

I have submitted numerous correspondences to the town board (copies to all members) and copied others involved in the project / process as well. I submitted such correspondences personally in the Town Clerk’s office. I had a copy go into the communications as well so that its submission was duly recorded. I am unfamiliar with the email process you used and would not consider it as I would be uncertain as to its appearing before all intended participants.

Regardless, your concern is well intended and should go before the town board for their consideration and the waste management companies involved in the RFP process. I have never witnessed ten containers for pickup, but several indeed.

Hopefully, you will submit your post to the Clerk’s office and copy all town board members.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Hey Mark:

I have submitted numerous correspondences to the town board (copies to all members) and copied others involved in the project / process as well. I submitted such correspondences personally in the Town Clerk’s office. I had a copy go into the communications as well so that its submission was duly recorded. I am unfamiliar with the email process you used and would not consider it as I would be uncertain as to its appearing before all intended participants.

Regardless, your concern is well intended and should go before the town board for their consideration and the waste management companies involved in the RFP process. I have never witnessed ten containers for pickup, but several indeed.

Hopefully, you will submit your post to the Clerk’s office and copy all town board members.
    I just did they email thingy on the website Lee. Like I posted earlier, I don't expect the supervisor to personally respond, but just a staff acknowledgement that the email was received and referred to the proper personnel.

Nevertheless, clear conscience here. I made my concerns known, and it is up to them. In a paraphrase "I write, they decide."

I just did they email thingy on the website Lee. Like I posted earlier, I don't expect the supervisor to personally respond, but just a staff acknowledgement that the email was received and referred to the proper personnel.

Nevertheless, clear conscience here. I made my concerns known, and it is up to them. In a paraphrase "I write, they decide."
    I commend you for effort. I know very well from two decades of participating in town politics that written documents submitted to the town board and/or other agencies often wind up in the trash bin unless they are formally submitted to the Clerk’s Office and a copy is requested to go into the communications where the written document is duly recorded.

The town board will decide and act as it so chooses, indeed; most likely without a public hearing as one is not required by law. Supervisor Coleman states that everyone coming into her office is asking when are the totes coming. I have yet to hear anyone question or challenge the board on justification for going to totes and spending the revenue to do so.

Working with three waste removal companies to determine what’s best for town residents without any input from residents at this juncture in the process adversely impacts the town’s openness, transparency, credibility and fiscal responsibility.

If the town would at least explain that waste management companies were coercing the town to purchase and to use totes that would allow them to automate and improve their operation efficiency and revenue stream, then the town should be pushing back and contribute nothing to their retrofitting their trucks equipment to handle the operation and demand a better contract cost to offset the costs of the totes. Perhaps they are doing this, but all we hear is crickets.

If the town council is unable to justify the reason for tote conversion ( telling the residents in the proposal that the chosen company will hold public meetings to describe the process after the fact) then the slackers (code violators) have won. For those of us who have complied with the closed container ordinance for decades and who recently upgraded our containers to hinged lid containers, do we not deserve an answer that justifies the change?

The hiring process to choose GAR Associates to assist in the town-wide reassessment project was botched. This has a stench about it as well.

I commend you for effort. I know very well from two decades of participating in town politics that written documents submitted to the town board and/or other agencies often wind up in the trash bin unless they are formally submitted to the Clerk’s Office and a copy is requested to go into the communications where the written document is duly recorded.
    Not an accusation, but a question: Why go through the cost and efforts to have a first class website in the ostensible interests of transparency, only to marginalize, or ignore, the provided communication channels?

Supervisor Coleman states that everyone coming into her office is asking when are the totes coming.
    Reminds me of when we were looking to buy a home. I would always divert my wife's focus on the highly visible offerings of the prospective home, and I would ask to see the basement. It is the basement that held evidence of flooding.

If what Ms. Coleman says is true, only the positive aspects of the Council's sales pitch are being presented. If you don't ask, the Council won't tell.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Get the warranty of the totes up front. Double check if rat "chew" damage is covered in writing.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Get the warranty of the totes up front. Double check if rat "chew" damage is covered in writing.
    Res, my cousin actually bought a "commercial-grade" tote, and a rat bit through the damn thing. If totes are being imposed as a begin all, end all, remedy to the rat problem, it is mere feel-good horse droppings IMHO.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Mark totes will help with animal/rat issues. You still get things in writing to cover your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Mark totes will help with animal/rat issues. You still get things in writing to cover your ass.
    Res, your point is well taken. Of course the totes will mitigate the situation. But, behavioral issues such as not picking-up up pet debris, use of bird feeders, and ground feeding wild life, are the substantial source(s) of the problem, IMHO. Those behavioral issues attract the varmints, and provide a full buffet table. The receptacle is only a "doggy bag" for other left-overs.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information