Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Totes are coming to Lancaster

Despite every property owner receiving the promised and long delayed Waste Management (WM) brochure detailing the new refuse operation and guideline expectations from the public, confusion still reigned at our second week of the automated truck pickup operation in our subdivision.

 Overfilled trash and recyclable carts with lids open
     Carts not properly spaced from each other
     Private totes set out and labeled for ‘take away’ on a week other than bulk pickup

As someone who had complied with the ordinances of the old waste management system of lidded containers, etc., I had reservations about the new contract’s operation and reasons for. In truth, I like the new system because it will not impact me in any manner, and hopefully enforceable codes will be put into place that will bring compliance to said codes.

At the same time, I have empathy for residents who do have need for additional carts but cannot purchase them until June. In its stead they are required to purchase certified bags that hold 40 lbs. of refuse - and at a $5 cost.

At the last meeting, Supervisor Coleman stated that only town issued carts can be used for trash and recyclables. I am still unable to get an answer why our personal totes cannot be used to place multiple small items into and be considered as one bulk item. Well, I got that answer today. A tote cannot be used for bulk item pickup. A contractor’s plastic big could be used for such purpose and would be considered as one bulk item.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    At the last meeting, Supervisor Coleman stated that only town issued carts can be used for trash and recyclables. I am still unable to get an answer why our personal totes cannot be used to place multiple small items into and be considered as one bulk item. Well, I got that answer today. A tote cannot be used for bulk item pickup. A contractor’s plastic big could be used for such purpose and would be considered as one bulk item.
    Thank you Lee. So if you had table lamps, knick knacks etc, you can bag them and put them out for bulk pick up?
    That is a help with the 3 item limit.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Thank you Lee. So if you had table lamps, knick knacks etc, you can bag them and put them out for bulk pick up?
    That is a help with the 3 item limit.
    I do wonder if that is the only item put out for bulk pick up, will WM know that it is bulk or assume it's a bag of garbage that didn't fit in the tote?
    I would use a clear bag so they could see the contents

Georgia L Schlager

They also sent out an email -

As far as the mailer, the WM rep on the Monday meeting recording again stated it should be received in a few days which he also said 4.5 weeks ago.
    Councilman Dawn Gaczewski stated to the WM rep, I know you sent the mailer to the post office and I know bulk mail doesn't get there as quickly as we'd like.

I guess they're blaming the post office.
    I believe it, our post office is terrible. I had a mail hold in place this past week and my mail still got delivered every day. That's the 3rd time since December I've had mail delivered while on a hold.

I do wonder if that is the only item put out for bulk pick up, will WM know that it is bulk or assume it's a bag of garbage that didn't fit in the tote?
    I would use a clear bag so they could see the contents
    The town and Waste Management (WM) made it amply clear that garbage / recyclables will only be picked up for disposal when placed in town issued carts. They also deny using private totes for bulk items.

Why would WM employees suspect there is anything in those plastic bags but bulk items? And, considering the bulk handlers are physically handling the bags, they should have a good idea as to its contents. If it is found that the property owner is scamming the system, the guilty one should be cited, receive a court appearance ticket and fined.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    The town and Waste Management (WM) made it amply clear that garbage / recyclables will only be picked up for disposal when placed in town issued carts. They also deny using private totes for bulk items.

Why would WM employees suspect there is anything in those plastic bags but bulk items? And, considering the bulk handlers are physically handling the bags, they should have a good idea as to its contents. If it is found that the property owner is scamming the system, the guilty one should be cited, receive a court appearance ticket and fined.
    Okay, but for myself, I'll stick with the clear bag. If I put the tote away after garbage pickup and the only thing laying out in front is a black garbage bag, I'm not as confident as you that the bulk guys would stop and pick it up.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post
    I believe it, our post office is terrible. I had a mail hold in place this past week and my mail still got delivered every day. That's the 3rd time since December I've had mail delivered while on a hold.

So, from the first time (January 22) WM declares the mailer was sent to the post office until the time residents received it was 4.5 weeks later.

Council member Dawn G. declares she knows WM sent the mailer. How does she know for certain that the mailer was sent out by WM? Did she see the mailer at the post office? If she can confirm that the mailer was sent out by WM as early as January 22 (as they first claimed) to the post office, why did she not ask why it was being held and took action to have it released? She well knew the public confusion this was taking place until this mailer was finally received.

This whole process has been a cluster****. Early on the town had promised to put out an informational mailer to ensure people who did not have access to get Internet and have the ability to get information from the town website, would be informed. It never happened. The town then blamed WM for the 4.5 week mailer delay. Now the town is going to cover for WM and blame the post office? BS!
    Last edited by Lee Chowaniec; February 22nd, 2019 at 05:20 PM.

Okay, but for myself, I'll stick with the clear bag. If I put the tote away after garbage pickup and the only thing laying out in front is a black garbage bag, I'm not as confident as you that the bulk guys would stop and pick it up.
    I have stated repeatedly that monthly bulk disposal will be a burden for some households. Limited to only three items placed at curb for monthly pickup, it will become an added expense to dispose of more than the three, and an added burden as to where to store those bulk items until pickup.

Use your clear bags if you have no faith in the new system. I will continue to use the black, heavy-duty contractor bags I have using on rare occasions. If they don't pick up the bag I will be calling the town and WM to bitch. I do have storage to hold the contents should they not pick up the bag - unlike many other households.

From the Town of Lancaster Office of Emergency Management - OEM

we are asking all residents to use your best judgement when / if putting out garbage totes this weekend with the expected high winds event
    I'll wait until Monday morning to see what the weather is like

Georgia L Schlager

ATTENTION RESIDENTS:

Due to the extremely windy conditions, we ask that residents who have a Monday trash and/or recycling pickup wait until Monday morning to place their carts at the curb. If you can wait another week for trash pickup and two weeks for recycling pickup, you are encouraged to do so. Thank you.

from the town website

Georgia L Schlager

ATTENTION RESIDENTS:

Due to the extremely windy conditions, we ask that residents who have a Monday trash and/or recycling pickup wait until Monday morning to place their carts at the curb. If you can wait another week for trash pickup and two weeks for recycling pickup, you are encouraged to do so. Thank you.

from the town website
    Excellent advise.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Excellent advise.
    So far, in my area, people have used common sense.

Georgia L Schlager

ATTENTION RESIDENTS:

from the town website
    It's too bad that they didn't just put it off one day or let us use one of our old totes next week for the additional trash.

Georgia L Schlager

"Totes Are Coming To Lancaster?"

Put out a tote in this wind today, the Lancaster tote may well end-up in Batavia. I ain't puttin' mine out.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    "Totes Are Coming To Lancaster?"

Put out a tote in this wind today, the Lancaster tote may well end-up in Batavia. I ain't puttin' mine out.
    I didn't either. I've been watching the WM truck going up and down the side streets along Central Ave.
    I don't see any out from my view.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread Information