Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Totes are coming to Lancaster

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Here's the Garbage/Recycling Q&A recording from Tuesday night.
    The first 1 hour and 45 minutes of the TB meeting was the Q&A session.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-329292372/2019-01-22-tbm
    Thank you Gorga for posting the recording of the refuse informational meeting. Property owners who are really interested in understanding the handling policies / guidelines and regulations for compliance should listen to the recording and come to their own conclusions on how the new operation will impact them.

Listening to the all the work session and regular meeting recordings on the project since last June, after reading all the media coverage on the contract renewal, and after reading all the literature published by the Town and Waste Management on their websites, I have to believe all facets of the contract were not fully explained and many property owners are still in the dark about what’s to be expected of them.

Some observations and comments

The town is to be commended for taking a hard look and establishing an operation that levels the playing for all property owners by allocating costs according to waste / recyclables generated and associated disposal costs; as well as the amount of ‘bulk’ removal and its associated costs.

That said, I have to agree with the several attendees who criticized the town for not being transparent on the project to the point where some attendees attended and spoke on related concerns and issues that were covered only on the town and Waste Management websites – and at the 11th hour. The promised Waste Management mailer never arrived before the meeting as promised two weeks ago.

It was made clear on the websites that only town issued carts could be used but it was never made known until the informational meeting on how to dispose of the private purchased totes. We now know that they can be put out with a clearly marked sign that they are for disposal the first week of using the new carts or during bulk pickup week – again clearly marked for pickup.

It was made clear that if one 95-gal tote is not sufficient for a large family, 40-lb bags could be purchased for $5 for additional garbage use until June – where another cart can be purchased for a fee and an additional $103 annual fee for pickup and increased waste disposal.

Small businesses that do not have the room for a dumpster will like wise be issued one 95-gal cart. They likewise will be paying for additional cart purchases and an annual $103 per cart disposal fee.

Bulk – three items per month. No longer will property owners be able to place weekly bulk items to the curb assured they will be picked up by Waste Management – plasterboard, sinks, toilets, countertops, etc. – apartment cleanouts or house renovations. They will now have to pay for such removal service; use of a Bagster where the cost to purchase such bag costs $29 and removal (at the curb) costs $136.

If you are planning on using a Bagster, be prepared to load it at the curb because no one will come on private property to remove it – or you better have the equipment to move it to the curb as it can hold up to 3,200 lbs. of bulk trash.

The town didn’t seem too concerned as to where large furniture / appliance items are to be stored until scheduled bulk pickup day, where garages are filled with cars or where properties have no storage capacity. The town’s answer is that there will be a period of learning during the transition stage (March 1; more like June 1). In the meantime, the property owner has to figure it out.

Yard waste – we finally hear that there are several ways to dispose of it.

Enforcement – When questioned on compliance and code enforcement Supervisor Coleman replied: “We are working on it.” Those of us who were not supportive of the waste handling change (following current code compliance regulations) are now just buying into the system because of the promise (at the meeting) that code violators will not have their garbage picked up. Hopefully, court appearance tickets will be issued and fines paid.

This will all for naught if as the town made clear at the meeting that overfilled carts with lids up will not be picked up, do get picked up. And, we should never have to see another plastic bag with garbage in it at the curb.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    When I got home from work yesterday, I noticed that my neighbor two doors down had not had his overflowing garbage picked up.
    So, I don't know if WM is starting to fulfill their responsibility in not picking it up or if the family put the trash out after the trash was picked up.
    It's still sitting out there now at about 3:00am
    Well, it is Thursday and the garbage is still out from Monday.

Georgia L Schlager

Hey, did you get a mailer from Waste Management regarding the new refuse program? I didn't.

Didn't Supervisor Coleman state at Monday evenings town board meeting that Waste Management had mailed it out that very same day?

Not yet Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Hey, did you get a mailer from Waste Management regarding the new refuse program? I didn't.

Didn't Supervisor Coleman state at Monday evenings town board meeting that Waste Management had mailed it out that very same day?

Yes, the representative from Waste management stated that their mailers were mailed that day and that we should receive them in a few days.

Haven't received anything yet.

Georgia L Schlager

Now that you've gotten used to recycling, get used to doing it less

https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/28/r...ing-recycling/

It took decades to convince Americans to throw paper, tin cans, glass jars and plastic milks into the recycling bin instead of the garbage. And now, some of those recyclables are ending up in the landfill. Recycling is not going away, but because of a shift in the worldwide market, the system is undergoing changes that will dictate everything from what we can recycle to how often we can do it to how much it will cost. "Just because you want it to be recyclable, doesn't mean it is," Dawn M. Timm said. She said many plastics, such as plastic bags, single-use or lightweight plastic containers and toys, foam and packaging film cannot be recycled. Recycling needs to be simplified back to paper, some plastic, metal and aluminum, she said.

Well, that makes it a little clearer than what was explained at the recent Lancaster refuse informational meeting last Monday. For many like me, a household of two seniors, I fail to understand why the town didn’t take this information into account before ordering 95-gal and 65-gal carts for recyclables that will be picked up every other week.

No glass, no film, no plastic bags leaves someone like me but paper, cardboard and some plastic containers to recycle – metal cans are a rarity. And, I am on the fortunate ones getting a 65-gal cart which will be out for pickup but once a month; if that.

Supervisor Coleman was spot on when she kept stating that the town would have to wait to see what Waste Management had to offer. Unfortunately, the public was left out of the process until the 11th hour – and bulk pickup (in my mind) remains the biggest game changer).

Lastly, some of us thought the pest reduction reason was BS and not the driving force behind this change. It’s always about the money. There were codes already in place for pest control that were being violated. Supervisor Coleman kept saying that that she was continually being approached by individuals asking 'when am I getting my totes'? Enjoy!

No glass? That seems like a shame.

Garbage Pick Up in the Town & Village of Lancaster has been canceled for tomorrow. Wednesday's pick up is re-scheduled for Saturday

Georgia L Schlager

Someone wrote about their new totes -

anyone else's totes not closing securely? both of mine don't close completely and the wind flips open the container pretty easily.

Georgia L Schlager

The Town of Grand Island also had a new 5 year trash contract with a different contractor start on January 1st of this year
    The residents' taxes went up $2 to $198.

i guess they are paying for the extra service

Garbage Collection Guidelines
    Your collection day has NOT changed! Please put out your trash and recyclables before 7 AM on your collection day.

Size & Weight
    Containers, bags and/or bushels shall NOT exceed 60 pounds in weight, excluding trash/bulk items. Any material not in cans or bags should be securely tied in bundles no more than four (4) feet in length.

Item Limit
    Each week, we’ll collect up to 10 bags and/or containers, including 1 bulk item — i.e. mattress, box spring, furniture, carpet, or appliance.

https://pintosanitation.com/

Georgia L Schlager

The first effects of the new procedure impacted us today.

Although we still are without the prescribed tote, the change of day from Tuesday to Monday commenced.

It went pretty well for the street. Our neighbors were on their game, but we did not receive any mail notification, and screwed up with the new date. But, when the other side of the street was serviced, the Waste Management guys were very understanding and took our lidded totes.

My bad, my apologies, and my thanx to the Waste Management people.

Our 124-unit townhouse complex received the 65-gal carts on Monday, February 4th. Along with information disseminated by a few of us neighbors, along with the Waste Management brochure that was included with the carts, our trash and recyclable guideline expectations were met.

There was still some confusion by some of the elderly who don’t have computers as to whether they were gold or green and that the trash pickup day had been changed. Some units had no trash cart at the curb.

The trash was picked up by a two-man rear-lift operation. While we are obligated to keep our cart lids closed and spaced appropriately, it was disconcerting to see the workers leave the lids open and the carts haphazardly pushed after emptying. Yes, the coming arm-lift operation will place the carts back as placed with the lids closed (preventing rain / snow entry), hopefully.

The operation went well, the uniformity looked great, and compliance was met.

My neighborhood has no idea that our date has changed. 100% of driveways have garbage out today. With no pickup last week, there is an absolute ton sitting out there. I drove down como park this morning and it looks like they already received their bins. However they were overflowing and a lot of extra bags out there as well. It'll be interesting to see how it's handled as they had no pickup last week either. You can't expect two weeks of trash to fit in one bin.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    My neighborhood has no idea that our date has changed. 100% of driveways have garbage out today. With no pickup last week, there is an absolute ton sitting out there. I drove down como park this morning and it looks like they already received their bins. However they were overflowing and a lot of extra bags out there as well. It'll be interesting to see how it's handled as they had no pickup last week either. You can't expect two weeks of trash to fit in one bin.
    I drove down Como Park today too. In the announcement last week regarding no pick up, it was insinuated that they would pick up this week no matter how it was thrown out there due to a double week whammy.
    GARBAGE COLLECTION RESCHEDULED DUE TO WEATHERWaste Management will pick up garbage originally scheduled for Wednesday, January 30th and Thursday, January 31st next week on your regularly scheduled day. Any garbage overflow will be accommodated.
    There was one house in particular on Aurora north of Como Park on the west side. Must have thought it was BULK day of the past

Georgia L Schlager

Week one in my neighborhood: a disaster.

No one was informed. Flyers were not sent out. The windstorm last night had two weeks worth of garbage scattered everywhere. Calls came in from the supervisors office saying that they screwed up and the flyers were not mailed out..

Yet another Coleman Cluster...

Let's add this to the things she can't do

Can't open an envelope with a tax payment in it on time
    Can't negotiate a garbage collection contract
    Can't mail out flyers informing residents of changes

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread Information