Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Totes are coming to Lancaster

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Yes, it certainly will be more restrictive in the amount put out on garbage day.
    It use to be 10 items. Now only one.
    Large items use to be weekly now just 3 items once per month.
    Recycling every other week, no problem. With a 95 gallon tote, it could be every other month for me.
    I think, they don't want glass anymore.
    This has been my point with family members, including my wife, Gorja.

I guess there is wisdom in tote use, but my problem arises from the world of restrictions.

As I understand this arrangement, the homeowner, who now has the latitude to dispose of 300 gallons of crap, is limited to 95 gallons. I guess under normal conditions that may be adequate, depending on family size, but what happens during times of illness, the infrequent condition, or the unforeseen crisis?

As I previously observed, what of the in-home medical circumstances?

Based on personal experience, I know that a flooding circumstance can impact the need of large item disposal, along with added refuse addressed with a tote.

If refuse collection is intended to address the sanitation issue, it seems to me the more latitude, the better.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 18th, 2018 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    This has been my point with family members, including my wife, Gorja.

I guess there is wisdom in tote use, but my problem arises from the world of restrictions.

As I understand this arrangement, the homeowner, who now has the latitude to dispose of 300 gallons of crap, is limited to 95 gallons. I guess under normal conditions that may be adequate, depending on family size, but what happens during times of illness, the infrequent condition, or the unforeseen crisis?

As I previously observed, what of the in-home medical circumstances?

Based on personal experience, I know that a flooding circumstance can impact the need of large item disposal, along with added refuse addressed with a tote.

If refuse collection is intended to address the sanitation issue, it seems to me the more latitude, the better.
    I know, a co-worker said she saw 2 rats on Sawyer between Sheldon and Central the other morning at 5:45.

Georgia L Schlager

Mark,

Did you see the crap that is sitting on the curb at the corner of Sawyer and Central this morning?
    It's aggravating

Georgia L Schlager

Mark,

Did you see the crap that is sitting on the curb at the corner of Sawyer and Central this morning?
    It's aggravating
    Nope, but the two, two-family, corporately-owned properties directly across the street from me are in a sales transition. No comment on the tenants, they are decent people, but in the clean-up for the transaction, their curb side makes our street look like the home office of the Waste Management landfill.

I understand that the tenants, on behalf of the corporate landlords, worked with Codes Enforcement which seemingly accommodated the clean-up. I have no problem with such cooperation and accommodation.

Rather, my problem stems from the fact that this crap resided on and in the properties' rat-infested garage and yard for so long. Ergo, where in Hell was Codes Enforcement all along?

Then, totes are the singular silver-bullet solution to the rat problem?

This issue, actually goes to the core motive that I had when joining Speak Up. My neighborhood has fallen apart, and has, in my experience and opinion, been marginalized by the VOL and the town powers that be, with the sole exception of some guy named Sugg.

And, to the blowhard self-proclaimed Democrat spokesman on Speak Up, who repeatedly states that it is my job to clean-up my street, a question: "Regarding the elected officials, whose boots you seem to chronically lick, what is it that they, and their patronage appointees, actually do to earn their pay?

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post

Just last week Blazejewski says elected officials should remember and visit neighborhoods like his neighborhood, which he whined is the forgotten part of Lancaster...

... That's why I think you are a gasbag here - bloviating on and on pretty much saying nothing, other of course than beating up on the Dems any chance you can. No one is listening, Mark, they just don't take you seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy

...sorry mindset of laziness, privilege and apathy.
    BTW, you forgot to mention that a certain expectation of "privilege" goes with paying taxes, ya know, money paid in exchange for service. You should also keep in mind that Lancaster is not Bejing, where the civilian population removes the snow and cleans the streets.

Moreover stupid, absent a bond post, or being a party to a contracted service, I have no legitimate business privately performing work which impacts a public road or property.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy

...get up off the couch and do something,
    I am not interested in their party affiliation, nor am I asking what their titles are, I am asking what do they do?

If this commentator's purpose is "earning merit badges" in the service of the Democrat Party, he really should be reassessing his public posture. According to him, the taxpayer should content itself doing the work for these well-compensated public employees who celebrate titles, but shun function.

To the self-proclaimed Democrat operative in connection with foregoing:

su per il culo
    Just sayin'.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 18th, 2018 at 05:33 PM.

Mark,
    Did you have any flooding with the power outage? I kept going down with a flashlight checking my sump.
    I was happy it was as cool as it is.

Georgia L Schlager

Mark,
    Did you have any flooding with the power outage? I kept going down with a flashlight checking my sump.
    I was happy it was as cool as it is.
    No Gorja, since the new sewers, my house manages to escape the flooding issue, but again, our home sits-up rather high. I have noticed the next door neighbor has his basement lights on so they may have an issue.

No Gorja, since the new sewers, my house manages to escape the flooding issue, but again, our home sits-up rather high. I have noticed the next door neighbor has his basement lights on so they may have an issue.
    I was worried about storm water here not sewage. My sump pump ran about 10 minutes after the power was restored.

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    My primary concern is the restrictions that a new contract brings.
    How many "large" items could a normal house hold actually have?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    How many "large" items could a normal house hold actually have?
    Case in point, in the aftermath of a flood:

A refrigerator, a stove, a washer, a drier, four rugs, a couch, three chairs, and so on.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/11/17/l...nd-a-tax-hike/

Lancaster rolls out the totes, pay raises — and a tax hike

An interesting article in that we finally know the increased cost of a program ($2.5 million) that that offers less in services and where the real reason for its transition is exposed.

The 2.78 percent tax increase means town property owners will pay a tax bill of $953.88 for a home assessed at $100,000 — or $25.73 more than they did in 2018. The $18.73 unit increase in refuse makes up 73% of the 2019 budget increase. The uptick in cost does not include cost of the $1.6 million bond recently approved to purchase the 28,000 totes.

According to Supervisor Coleman, “The old contract was not renewal and the cost of waste removal has increased from $30 per ton to $50 per ton.” That and the fact that waste management companies want to change to a one- man operation to reduce their labor / benefit / workman’s comp expenses are the real reason for the transition to mandated town tote operation.

The waste management companies are driving the train and the transition favors their financial well being more so than the town. The banalities by some supporting the change by saying it will help reduce the rat population, bring us into the modern times (because Lancaster is but one of three towns that do not participate in this program), or that residents are clamoring for the mandated town tote program flies in the face of residents who have bought and use their own lidded containers as prescribed by state and town law and will not be able to use them- even the ANSI certified wheeled totes.

This program transition impacts me in no way except the refuse fee increase and the fact that I can’t use my lidded container as a second tote. The refuse fee is reasonable compared to that of otter municipalities, however that does not preclude residents from voicing questions, concerns and opposition for myriad reasons that may impact them and not others. As taxpayers they are stakeholders in the town and need to be heard.

And as of now residents have yet to be informed as number of totes to be distributed to each household, and/or additional cost per tote, bulk pickup operation, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    And as of now residents have yet to be informed as number of totes to be distributed to each household, and/or additional cost per tote, bulk pickup operation, etc.

I agree with you Lee regarding financial impact, but I am reserving an overall assessment pending information regarding the unaddressed issues. My hunch Mr. C. is, as Ross Perot would say, "The devil is in the details."

Does the contract mention anything about yard waste?

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post

There's a copy of the new refuse contract available for public scrutiny; seriously? Where do I find such copy.

Maybe that's what those 40 lb. $5 bags are for.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Will some paper work be included with delivery of each tote?

Maximum weight, what type of bags that can be used. Clear versus dark.

A link to the town website page that has warranty information and general information about tote use.

I would also include a way for people to sign up for trash notifications and news. A reminder can be emailed out when a trash day changes because of a holiday, notification when an electronic recycle day is scheduled or big item day. What ever could be considered useful.

Personally I wouldn't think true "yard waste" would be allowed. IE: small logs, rocks, leaves or grass clippings.

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post
    I put mine in my totes now but if no room I put in a clear bag outside of tote which won't be allowed in the new contract unless you do as Lee said pay for a sticker to put on a 40# bag. Leaves and brush will still be highway's responsibility.
    Wonder if they will allow these 30 gallon yard waste bags for use with a sticker
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home...9022/100080704

Georgia L Schlager

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information