Thread: Chip/Sealing

Chip/Sealing

First, I concede that no form of paving is good for the environment. That being said, Chip/Seal has to be the worst. The Oil. What is it? I think it must be the least refined and most contaminated product available. It eventually leaches into the water table. The stone never exactly binds to the oil. Probably less than 20% of the stone remains on the road surface, which means it's an 80% loss process. I looked at the recently stoned Westwood Road. Huge clouds of dust from the cars driving by. I'm sure local homeowners love that. Chip/ sealing is a terrible, environmentally harmful, wasteful and ineffective 19th century technique. If we stopped wasting money on chip/sealing and applying our resources intelligently, we would have better roads.

I remember one year when I was a kid and they did the road with that crap. All our neighbors were complaining about broken head lights and chipped paint due to the rocks getting kicked in the air.
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Quote Originally Posted by equinox View Post
    First, I concede that no form of paving is good for the environment. That being said, Chip/Seal has to be the worst. The Oil. What is it? I think it must be the least refined and most contaminated product available. It eventually leaches into the water table. The stone never exactly binds to the oil. Probably less than 20% of the stone remains on the road surface, which means it's an 80% loss process. I looked at the recently stoned Westwood Road. Huge clouds of dust from the cars driving by. I'm sure local homeowners love that. Chip/ sealing is a terrible, environmentally harmful, wasteful and ineffective 19th century technique. If we stopped wasting money on chip/sealing and applying our resources intelligently, we would have better roads.
    Ya they do that out here, I am not sure its worth it. Granted it does seem to pill in alot of the cracks, however overall makes the road more wavy
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Thread Information