Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Bear Lost Its Life In Amherst.

This is the second time in a few years APD has shot a bear roaming in residential neighborhoods. I guess young males are forced out when mama meets a new beau for romance. The park can’t hold all of them and being smart and resourceful they come to Amherst. You don’t see the Buffalo police or Cheek police having to deal with this. Hell, in Buffalo it’d just be another notation on the “unsolved” list. Keep in mind we’re talking about a dangerous wild animal, not Winnie the Pooh for Christ’s sake!

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    All level 3 sex offenders should be shot. Is that your point? Was the level 3 sex offender in the case you mentioned punished in any way?
    I think he was re-arrested, it just happened this week

I would support the death penalty for certain sex offenders that are going to be repeat offenders
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

How would you determine which are going to be repeat offenders?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    B & B show yesterday was actually informative and had a guy who is knowledgeable about wildlife in wny, not sure if he was with dec. explained how more sightings of bears in suburbs may occur due to habitat increasing ( yes forested lands surrounding allegany forest are growing) no sanctuaries anywhere close therefore few options on what to due with a wayward bear. transportation not easy as bears have issues with hot weather and being transported , ie will overheat and die anyways. If you want an informative discussion on this, listen to bauelre show yesterday, if you want everyone’s. 2 cents and half assed ideas then experts on this site or Facebook are the way to go
    In a statement, the DEC said it planned to trap the bear on Tuesday with Amherst Animal Control.
    https://wben.radio.com/articles/amhe...e-monday-night

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    In a statement, the DEC said it planned to trap the bear on Tuesday with Amherst Animal Control.
    https://wben.radio.com/articles/amhe...e-monday-night
    In the words of the country band Diamond Rio “In a week or two I was gonna buy you diamonds. In a week or two a long, long string of pearls...some times it’s just a little too late...”

So after the bear was hit by a car on the 990... and wandering with in 10' of homes with kids and pets playing outside... your solution is to tranquilize the bear, then provide it medical treatment and relocate it...

Couple questions: Whose responsible for the Vet bills?
    What happens when the bear kills the family dog? Or mawls/ kills a kid?
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    So after the bear was hit by a car on the 990... and wandering with in 10' of homes with kids and pets playing outside... your solution is to tranquilize the bear, then provide it medical treatment and relocate it...

Couple questions: Whose responsible for the Vet bills?
    What happens when the bear kills the family dog? Or mawls/ kills a kid?
    The DEC has resources to trap the bear , (rescue) transport it and rehabilitate. Even the American Indian Nation could have assisted in this endeavor as reported afterwards...The DEC was too laid back in providing help to the Amherst Police Dept, it could have been much much more proactive in capturing this animal, especially since it was well knownthat it was injured...a danger to itself and possibly others. It was too easy for a trigger happy cop to shoot the bear as it searched for some refuge in finding an area where it could survive.
    Tell the DEC that there are a group of fisherman on the waterfront, and they're there in short time checking fishing licences !!
    Both agencies failed nature... and the fact that it could made themselves look better, in the eyes of the general public!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    The DEC has resources to trap the bear , (rescue) transport it and rehabilitate. Even the American Indian Nation could have assisted in this endeavor as reported afterwards...The DEC was too laid back in providing help to the Amherst Police Dept, it could have been much much more proactive in capturing this animal, especially since it was well knownthat it was injured...a danger to itself and possibly others. It was too easy for a trigger happy cop to shoot the bear as it searched for some refuge in finding an area where it could survive.
    Tell the DEC that there are a group of fisherman on the waterfront, and they're there in short time checking fishing licences !!
    Both agencies failed nature... and the fact that it could made themselves look better, in the eyes of the general public!
    I didn't think you would have had that opinion.

I was on the fence with this. Do you save it or shoot it.

Where the bear was shot, was about a 1 miles west of Transit and Roll road.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    Where the bear was shot, was about a 1 miles west of Transit and Roll road.
    It was shot coming out of the wooded area along Renaissance Dr, near Covenant Garden, between houses. It had been traveling north obviously looking for food and habitat. I heard the single gunshot from my yard as I was outside, when a friend who lives in the area called me to tell the bear was just seen in the area. I had a gut feeling that it was a lethal shot as opposed to a tranquilizer rifle.
    Ya..the cop is a real hero, and so is the Amherst police dept, knowing full well they could have used a tranquilizing gun to disable the bear until DEC arrived. Even the DEC wanted to avoid any opinion on the decision of the Amherst police to shoot the bear, (as reported afterwards in the Buffalo snooze)...and Amherst Police , could more than afford to purchase a tranqulizing gun...BTW a high ranking Amherst police officer recently built a new home on Covenant Garden, that is adjacent to the wooded area.where the bear was traveling.

I don’t know about the general public but the Amherst police look fine in my eyes. They failed nature? Really? My understanding is that “nature” is rather unkind to wild animals who are injured and that many of them suffer rather slow uncomfortable deaths. But you’re probably right; they failed nature and that likely explains why it’s been so damned hot! Nature’s revenge!! What proof do you have that the cop was trigger happy? And what in hell is the American Indian Nation anyway? It was a wounded bear shot between houses. The response was completely appropriate.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    It was shot coming out of the wooded area along Renaissance Dr, near Covenant Garden, between houses. It had been traveling north obviously looking for food and habitat. I heard the single gunshot from my yard as I was outside, when a friend who lives in the area called me to tell the bear was just seen in the area. I had a gut feeling that it was a lethal shot as opposed to a tranquilizer rifle.
    Ya..the cop is a real hero, and so is the Amherst police dept, knowing full well they could have used a tranquilizing gun to disable the bear until DEC arrived. Even the DEC wanted to avoid any opinion on the decision of the Amherst police to shoot the bear, (as reported afterwards in the Buffalo snooze)...and Amherst Police , could more than afford to purchase a tranqulizing gun...BTW a high ranking Amherst police officer recently built a new home on Covenant Garden, that is adjacent to the wooded area.where the bear was traveling.

You would think there would be a tranq rifle within Erie County. I wonder what the cost would have been to tranq, a fix and transport to an area where it could live. You know if we named it a GoFundMe page could have been started up to cover the cost of the darts. That would have been a feel good type community activity.

Did you hear about Big Baloo?

An adorable and large 400lb black bear stumbled his way into a peaceful neighborhood in Florida. The poor bear didn’t mean any harm. He just lost his way. We decided to name him Baloo. When Wildlife officers arrived, they had no choice but sedate Big Baloo in order to safely get him back to his home in the Osceola National Forest.

https://www.godvine.com/read/tranquilizer-bear-593.html

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Pneu-Dart - Bears

For the amount of money spent on anything and everything you would think the county would have a few of these. Maybe they do

Description

Pneu-Dart’s innovative and practical gas-based Remote Drug Delivery (RDD) Short Range Projector. The X-2 is constructed of durable 6061 machined aluminum and coated with a sharp, elements-resistant anodized finish, the X-2 is the finest and most versatile RDD Short Range Projector ever built.
    The X-2’s sleek design possesses a variety of features, including a rotating rear barrel port engineered for quick and efficient RDD device loading.
    Additional Enhanced Features:

• Protective gauge housing
    • Rotating rear barrel port for quick loading
    • Fingertip muzzle velocity control
    • Rifled 14 inch fluted stainless steel barrel
    • 12 gram CO2 air source (6 shots/cylinder)
    • Virtually silent RDD device propulsion
    • Does NOT require federal firearm license
    • Optional 11 mm smooth bore barrel sleeve
    • Limited lifetime warranty

Benefits of the X-2:

• Quiet (virtually silent)
    • RDD ranges are the greatest and the most accurate in the history of the company.
    • 0.5 cc – 3 cc RDD device
    • Most affordable on a per shot basis
    • Barrels are anodized with dichromate seal minimizing any bore residue.
    • O-rings are rated from -40 to 400º F.

$1180.00

http://www.animal-care.com/product/x-2-co2-pistol/

Personally I like this

Constructed of machined aluminum with an elements-resistant satin finish, the Pneu-Dart X-Caliber will deliver both 11mm (with optional barrel insert) and 13mm darts accurately. Complete with 3×9 scope and aluminum gun case. Operates on 12g CO2 cartridges or included rechargeable CO2 cylinder. Pressure guage located for easy use while you’re aiming. Ships in a hard case. Click for more information and to watch the video.
    $1935.00

http://www.animal-care.com/product/x-caliber/

Scroll down the product page. Darts are $14 to $25

How They Work
    Type ‘C’, ‘P’ and ‘U’ RDD Devices contain a small explosive charge which detonates on impact and quickly injects the liquid. RDD Devices equal to or less than 1 cc do not require retention (wire barb or gelatin collar) due to the rate of injection. As a consequence of the device mechanics, the RDD Device will “flash” when activated, a real asset in low-light conditions.
    Cannula Lengths
    RDD Devices are available with 14-gauge cannula in lengths of 3/8″, 1/2″, 3/4″, 1″, 1 1/4″, 1 1/2″ and 2″.
    RDD Devices 1.5 cc through 10 cc are equipped with a gelatin collar. 0.5cc – 10cc can be ordered with a wire barb. 3/8″ cannula are available in plain only. 1/2″ cannula are available in gelatin collars or wire barbs. We do not recommend wire barbs or gelatin collars on 1/2 cc or 1 cc devices; however, they are available at an additional cost. Gelatin collars comprise of an inert material retaining the dart in place until the injection is made, and after several minutes will liquefy, allowing the RDD Device to fall freely from the animal.
    The chart listed below is a general guide for cannula lengths when administering intramuscular injections. Thirteen gauge cannula in specific lengths are also available.

• 0–10 lbs. | 3/8″ cannula length
    • 10–75 lbs. | 1/2″ cannula length
    • 75–150 lbs. | 3/4″ cannula length
    • 150–600 lbs. | 1″ cannula length
    • 600+ lbs. | 1 1/4″, 1 1/2″, and 2″ cannula lengths

IF we want to cut corners.... Blow pipes

TeleDart Blowpipe

$15.64 – $320.00 ExcludingTax
    TeleDart Blowpipes are the most advanced in the world and are an ideal instrument for shorter, low impact dart delivery. They are available in three diameters: 11mm, 14mm, and 16mm. The 11mm is ideal for all 1 to 3cc 11mm darts for moderate distances. It is 100cm long and if needed you can add the extension for longer shots.

http://www.animal-care.com/product-c...ure/blowpipes/

Originally posted by joe d.:
    The DEC has resources to trap the bear , (rescue) transport it and rehabilitate.
    Yes, the DEC and Amherst animal control had planned to do that the next day but the police jumped the gun, so to speak.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Yes, the DEC and Amherst animal control had planned to do that the next day but the police jumped the gun, so to speak.
    Yes it's too bad the bear didnt wait for the DEC and Animal Control...someone should of told the bear!
    It was 2 weeks that this was going on...another Monday morning quarterback decision.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information